Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/20 - 1/27 2008 (Read 345 times)

Bugs

Who's the hottie with lovely Erica???????

Bugs

Hi Erica!! I DID 10 MILES TODAY!!!!!!! Had my TP for the first 6. We ran very slow and walked some averaged between 12-13 min/mile then she stopped and i was cut loose for the last 4. Did them between 10:15 - 10:45. SO GO ME!!! I think that was the mental hump i needed. Good running to you all!! oh i'm sore on inside of my big toe. what's up with that??
      Congrats on the 10 miles. The one time I got sore on the inside of a toe, it was because the toenail next to it was rubbing wrong. Is it a skin sort of sore , or a muscle/tendon sort of sore?
      evanflein

Dave

Super race report, Erika, and another BQ time to boot. The weather looked great and it looked like you finished strong. The pictures were super as well. Shan, awesome 10 miler. Nice to see you getting back on track. A 2 hour run is a long run no matter how you slice it. Keep up the good work. My 8 turned in to just under 9 today. Nice pace, cold and windy but nice day. I always enjoy running on the mall and today was no exception. I leave my car in a commuter lot and take a bus or rideshare to my job. Today when I got back to my car (over 20 miles from my building), I realize I'd left my keys at my desk. Cell phone battery is dead. Had to walk another 2 miles to call my wife to come pick me up. Ugh... Undecided Can I count those miles?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Husker, I think you might be correct with the toenail thing. It is almost like a blister but not. I also think the 2nd toe sits on my big toe when I run or walk in comfy shoes (as opposed to heels which don't allow for any toe adjustment). I think I need to trim my toenail. But it is a funky toenail - if I cut it too short it grows almost into the skin of the toe and gets sore on runs so I have to leave it a little long...
              Awesome report Erica. And incredible to put up a BQ time after so many marathons in a short period. Shan--10 Miles--Awesome. Now, keep getting out there girl. I used tohave ingrown toenail issues. You could see a doc and they can drop some acid on your toe so it doesnt grow back funky. Thats the only thing that stopped my chronic issues. In college,I literally had my toenail pokinf out the side of my toe..Most painful thing ever. Hitting the trail at 9:30. Felt balmy out tonight. Close to 30. Should be a nice run tomorrow. Like having a training partner for the long runs. Doesnt leave room for an excuse to blow it off when someone else is counting on you being there. Heading to North Carolina Sunday for an overnight business trip. Will get in a short run there Monday morning. suks about your keys dgb..and your dead cell. Hate when that kinda stuff happens. I'd log the miles as x-training at least.

Oh Mighty Wing

dave - that stinks about the keys and the phone although at least you were "close" to a phone. Definitely log it as crosstraining. Yes 2 hours is 2 hours... but what I was thinkings is that my time might have been better since tp and I went slower for most of it. See secretly I want to do better than 2:17 on the half. And after last night's 10 in 2 i wasn't too sure, but when i went back and looked at the times and knowing that i kicked the last 1/4 mile hard I feel like maybe just maybe if I can stay focused it might be possible. Murph - i'll have to keep that in mind. I might also try rounding the edges of my toenails. Looking at them they are pretty pointy on the edged haha. And I agree with the tp for longer runs. Even if it's just the first couple miles it's enough to get my to finish.
                  Ran my first 14 miler today and it went pretty well. The first 3 miles felt horrible, but then I started feeling better. The last 5 or 6 actually felt the best. Someday I'll understand why that happens. Shan, don't be as stupid as me with the toe deal. The day after I got the blister, I put a band-aid on it. Well, it was about 5:00 AM and the brain was a little foggy so I used one of those sheer ones that are kinda rough. You guess it, blister on the other toe after that run. So, I trimmed the nail properly and haven't had a problem since. Sometimes I wonder if it's safe for me to run that early, with the mental state I'm in.

Happy Camper

First long-run of the weekend is finished. Hit just over 20.25-miles in just under 3:05. Nice pace run on a mix of streets and trail with hills. I really enjoy the group run and wish there was another for Sunday.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

First?? long run of the weekend??..Nice run Pace. Shan--I dont think 2:17 in the half is out of reach. Especially if you had a lot left in the tank. You get the adrenalin going in a race..and the race is supported with more water/gatorade than you probably tookin during your training run. Im a big fan of trying to kill the last part of a long run just to gauge what you have left.. Nice job with the 14 miler Husker. Ive had similar runs. In good conditions, I hit the "zone" between 8 and 14, where I feel great and think I could go forever--then the 'wall' always hits me if going much further. Got my 11 miles in with my TP--well he went 6. He didnt want to risk injury--and he did do the Naples half last Sunday--so he really did need a step back week. THe miles were good. Starte a bit faster than planned and then settled in at a consistant relatively easy 10:50 ish pace. Ran the rollling hills again vs the flat course.
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

HuskerB - nice job on the 14 miler. Was that your longest run to date? Erika - awesome race report. You've got some serious skills. P2R - as always, your mileage is impressive. Are you going to do some speedwork while you prep for your next marathon? Did 12 miles today on the TM. Something snapped in my brain around mile 8 or 9 and I just flippin had enough. For 8 days, 5 runs, 43 miles I've been on that stupid thing and today my brain just blew a fuse. I think I'll be able to head out into the weather now. If I can't I'm screwed 'cause I sure as heck ain't getting on that thing again.

Oh Mighty Wing

Husker, very nice 14 miles! I normally spend the first 3 miles cursing running. Pace - you are crazy! But glad it was a nice run!! Good luck tomorrow!!!! Murph - nice job on your run! I'm glad you think I can do it! And I think you have a point. I didn't have anything to drink (try not to anymore) and I got hungry around 6 miles. Mr. I - Nice job on the TM. And you are right. You must get outside i'm worried about your sanity!!! Erica - AWESOME REPORT!!!! So went to the gym and got on the TM. Went a whole 1.2 miles. Funny I feel great, but to actually do vigorous exercise my legs are tired. Had I been outside i might have been able to push... but the treadmill, hunger, and sore legs are not a good combo.
                            HuskerB - nice job on the 14 miler. Was that your longest run to date?
                            It was my longest run. I"ve been between 10 and 12 a bunch of times, but the program I'm using starts the ramp-up now. If you want to send it to you, let me know.
                            Cashmason

ShanGen, there is a brand of socks called Injinji. They make toe socks. A toe sock is like a glove, it has a sleeve for each individual toe. My g/f loves them because it keeps her toes from rubbing together and stops bllisters from forming on her toes. They are kind of expensive at 10 - 14 dollars per pair, but well worth it to her. Sometimes you can find them cheaper at race expos. Some REI stores carry them as well. They do come in pink , and if you do trail running they come in brown, black or white too. The lowest cut socks tend to slip down under her heel, so she gets the next lowest cut socks. Bugs, I think the guy is one of Erika's 117 boyfriends. Dunno if she told her husband about that one yet though.
                              Cashmason

The bike race went well today. 13 miles in 44 minutes and change. About 2 minutes and .8 miles per hour faster than last year. So pretty happy about that. The first 4 miles have a 700 foot elevation gain then it flattens out for a couple of miles and then downhill. Last half mile sees a 210 foot elevation gain. Max speed was 37.4 miles per hour. I was pedaling, but bike would not go any faster. Think I need a steeper hill if I am ever to break 40 mph on the bike. There were some fist sized rocks in the bike lane. Think I would have just been a red smear on the pavement if I hit one of those at 37 miles per hour even with the bike helmet on. Yes we shared the road with cars going 70 mph, but fortunately you only see a car every couple of minutes. No age groups in this race. I finished 6 minutes behind the winner, a guy who is 15 years younger than I am and had disc wheels and a time trial bike, not to mention he is in way better shape than I am. I think the first place woman finished 2 minutes ahead of me, and she is plenty fast, an Erika on wheels. I was glad to see her win the 100 gift certificate to the bike shop, as she always looks out for the slower riders on the week end rides. Not to mention that she is cute to look at ( and married).