Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/4/2010 (Read 143 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Fall is finally here.  We're gonna have perfect weather in my area this week, and I'm looking forward to some great easy runs.  Hope everyone has a good week and that our hill runners recover from sore quads soon.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Quads are recovering, but not there yet.  Anyway, I ran 3 yesterday and 3 today.  Hopefully the legs will be recovered after this week, as I need to increase my mileage a bit for next week.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Hey guys.  Sorry I've been so absent. 

Have been following along with the exploits.  Super runs by Lou and Pam. 

I'm recovering as well from my HM yesterday.  Sore everything.  Smile.

Looking forward to the Army 10 miler in a couple of weeks.  Perry running as part of our team.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Ran 45 minutes tonight of recovery miles.  Felt pretty good.

Paul

Kimmie

I think I need to hear the voice of reason.

My friend wants me to run a 20 mile race with her this weekend.  I think that's too big of a jump, since last weekend, I just ran 13 miles.   She is reminding me that I am running 26.2 in 3 and a half weeks, except I wasn't really going to train for that marathon.  It would be annoying to get injured.

So, what do you think?

Great that Perry is going to be there, Dave.    Do you think we could meet up beforehand? 

Kim - can't answer the question for you, but I see this as a balance between confidence builder and confidence killer.  I agree, though, if you really race the 20 miler, that might be a lot for you, but if you just ran it as a training run, I wouldn't think you'd get hurt (I doubt you'd get hurt in any case, but YMMV of course).

I had a really great run this morning -- 5 @ recovery pace, well just a bit faster than normal recovery, but not fast enough to be considered GA for me (8:51/mi).  Really felt great -- all the kinks are working themselves out.

theyapper

On the road again...

Kim - you know more about where your body is right now in the whole scheme of things.  Of course, if the weather in your area is anything like it is here, a 20 miler in the cool temps might not end up being too bad.  You could always convince your friend to meet you in the middle and do 17 or so.

I feel victim to the fall weather today.  Went out for 9 easy miles and ended up running pace with not much more effort than the easy miles would have been.  Love when that happens!

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was going to say what Lou said -- I think it makes a difference whether you'll race it or run it as training.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

Kim - I completely missed the part about this being a 20 mile race.  I guess that would beg the question about how your paces compare.  If you ran it as a training run and she ran it as a race, would you still be together or would you start pushing to keep up with her, which would no longer be a training run.  For me, I'd have a hard time paying a race fee and not racing.

Paul

I"m with Lou and Perry Kim.  I doubt I'd go race effort but that's just me.

Well less than a week and it will be time for Steam town. Not sure what my goal is though. I might have more of an idea come Friday. I haven't spent a lot of time on the roads so that may be a goal killer. Oh and I have a new shiny 50k PR 6:04:24 . I was hoping to break 6 but I had no clue on the course. Between the major rain we had the few days before and the long ruts (single path my ass) it wasn't easy. My sac joint was screaming for most of the last half. However I don't even feel like I spent 6 hours out on the trails on Sunday so I guess that's a good sign *knock on wood*

Hope all is well with everyone and recover well Lou!  Oh and nice race Dave, Lou and Harriet 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Good morning.  I started my day with a great 4 mile run that I guess turned into a tempo run.  I never checked my Garmin to see where i was pace-wise, and ended up with a couple speedy miles in there and finished with an avg. pace of 8:59.  The wonders 41F temps can do.

MTA: fixed my bad spelling.

Paul

Way to go, Pam!!!  One of these days I'll get up the courage to go beyond 26.2...  (Good luck at Steamtown)

I ran 4 also this morning, Paul, but mine was definitely a recovery run.

Hey, Dave!  Poke you head in here anytime.  Nice HM, by the way.

So Kim, what'd you decide?

evanflein

Kim, I'd run it as a training run, not a race. Perfect timing for a supported long run! That being said, if you don't think you can hold back and do the long run thing, then maybe not a good idea. You're lucky to have the option of a 20 miler with that much time till your marathon. I'd do it.

GL at Steam Town, Pam! I do want to run that race sometime. When it comes time to cross PA off my list, that'll be it (I hope).

Nice running, Paul! I've always heard that the tough training through the summer heat translates into excellent fall running. Glad you're enjoying it, and nice paces there!

Hey Dave! Hey Lou! Hey Perry! How's Jeremy doing? Haven't heard from him in ages, think he should be about good to get back on the road?

Ran 6.7 hilly trail miles yesterday at lunch. Parts of the trail (the wood chip part) were frosty and a little slick. Quite the change from how soggy they can be after a rain. I'm hoping for a longer run than can fit in the lunch hour today, so will run after work. And get this... forecast now is for SNOW this afternoon! Egads. We've had such a spectacular fall (the warmest and driest September I can remember), that it's really hard to think about what's coming soon.

Dave

I need to poke my head in more often.

For those of you not on FB (cough ** Erika ** cough), I ran the Brooksie Way HM in 1:43:49 on pretty pathetic training.  It was a beautiful morning.  Cold and crisp. 

Here is something of a race report:

Had hoped to host Murphy for this race but it didn't quite work out.  Maybe next year though.

I told myself I wouldn't go out faster than 8:30 based on my recent 10 miler.  That went by the wayside right from the start with the first 5 miles mostly downhill.  I met up with a neighbor who runs Triathalons.  I wanted to beat him because he talks a good game but it was not in the cards.

We paced each other through about the first 8 miles.  5 downhill.  3 mostly flat.  Then hit the hills.  Early miles were mostly in the 7;40 range.

I was starting to feel the miles but the cold temps (mid 40's, low 50's) made me feel pretty strong.  hit the hills and slowed a bit.  Lost Garmin splits because I hit the stop button when I took off my jacket.  Picked up Garmin splits about halfway through the hills.  Still holding in the low 8's.

Saw DW and DD5 at Mile 10 at the top of the real hills.  By this point my neighbor had pulled ahead about 100 yards.  I lost maybe another minute with the family.

Picked it back up for the final 2-3 mile stretch.  Back down around an 8-8:10 pace.  Crossed the 12 mile marker and started trying to stay with a girl who was kicking strongly.  Pace worked its way down to around 7:20 down a hill and she started to drop off the pace.  The race finished with a steep downhill section to the finish and she zoomed by me.  I pushed hard and finished along side.

Rough afterwards.  Legs were trashed Monday and Tuesday.  Will try to get a nice easy 3 in this evening after work.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Heheh, Thanks, Dave! Nice race, wow what a finish after those hills!