Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/28 (Read 320 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

JF - Great to see you!  Hope you're doing fine.

Got 6 miles in this morning - weather is AMAZING!  I've felt so strong the last 2 runs, and my pace has shown it.  A bit faster without really anymore effort.  I'm sure the temps have a lot to do with that, but finishing this month with just short of 178 miles can't have hurt.  Running more miles really makes a difference.

I am really starting to get excited about my marathon.  I'm about 6 weeks out now.  My only concern is that 10-day mission trip to India and how that will affect me physically.  I leave 2 weeks from tomorrow.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Hi Paul and everybody...

I agree that the weather is amazing.  Great job on your 6 miles... I love it when the pace comes down.  You are going to rock your marathon.  Try not to worry too much about your trip to India. I think you said you may not be able to run much there.  I was out of running for 5 days only 4 weeks from my marathon in Feb. and I was still able to BQ.  So, all that to say that your training has been great and if you end up taking some days off I think you will be OK.

Well, after the 23 miler on  Saturday, I felt fine.  Didn't run on Sunday.  Ran easy on Monday and then yesterday EVERYTHING hurt.  It was so weird.  DOMS three days later?  My ankles, my shins, my hammies.... so, went to the doc today and he said vitamin e deficiency.   So, hopefully that helps.

I've signed up for a half this weekend that I may not be able to do now.  DH has to go to a funeral in Fl. so that leaves me with the kiddos.  Trying to arrange sleepovers for them so I can still go.

Have a good one all.

evanflein

Hope you can make it work, Kimmie. When my kids were younger we used to do a lot of the sleepover things so we could either have date night or go do something early in the morning (or both!).

Paul, you're feeling stronger on your runs because your training has been going so well! Yes, all those miles make a difference. Sort of like running a bunch of hills, and then rocking your runs on the flat. It really does work. And while your trip to India could have better timing (like after the race!), you'll probably be ok. Can you find a treadmill? I know traffic and air quality can be issues there, but not sure where you'll be. Some rural areas are pretty nice...

Welcome home, Jelly. You've been missed.

Hi, Shan!

Paul - where will you be in India (did we have this conversation already)?  I've been to Delhi five times, quite a while ago, but I would think all the western style hotels will have a treadmill.  Not sure if they'll charge for its use, though.  (But if a treadmill doesn't work out, I'm sure you'll be ok)

Good luck on the logistics for the race, Kim!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Hi guys!

Kimmie - most suggestions are to always run easy the day after a race -- I imagine it's the same after a long run.

Pam - glad your kiddies fever is gone

Erika - Nice race!!!

Everyone else - nice running!!!

So, last week I hit my highest mileage in single runs w/o a marathon. Building is going well... 2 weekends ago I raced a 5k - 22:51 - 6 min PR... saturday i have another 5k... i'm excited.

I missed you all, but needed to sink into a hole while I adjusted to training - I was rather miserable and sensitive... I'm feeling better now!

theyapper

On the road again...

Lou - I am going to Delhi and yes, I mentioned this before so that's why it sounded familiar.  We're not staying @ a Western hotel, so I'm not expecting a TM and have resigned myself to the fact that there won't be any running while I'm there.  I am tempted to strap the Garmin on once and run a mile or something just to have a run in India for my log cause I think that'd be cool!

I'm kicking some schedule adjustments around in my head so I don't miss a ton of miles, but I'll post that later and get everyone's input.

Paul

WB Shan Smile

Looks like everyone is enjoying this cool weather! Today was perfect for running. Despite feeling tired and almost bailing on my run I went out anyways. The plan was to get a couple miles warm up do about 6 8:30 paced miles than a mile or so cool down. Well my 6 miles were a bit faster than planned and dare I say they felt "easy". I had no problem while running them to envision myself running 26.2 miles at that pace. I was even thinking maybe 5-10 seconds faster may be doable too. We shall see in less than 2 weeks. One of these days I'm just going to throw caution out the window. I'd love to say I'll be doing that at Steamtown however what I want and what I do aren't always the same thing.  Anyway almost time to pick the twins up from school. Today was their first day of "Mad Science". I know Frankie will enjoy it, I hope Katie does as well.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Condolences on the loss, Kimmie.  And also congrats on 23mi long run -- that's a pretty long one. I forget -- are you on a plan or inventing it yourself? (I had the impression that most plans don't go over 20.)

I had an Asian trip for a couple weeks before my spring marathon -- and lucked out in that I got to run there, and the weather was upper 70s, and a freak warm spell hit on the marathon morning, and I was trained for the weather unlike probably everyone else Smile   So I just lucked out. But hope you can get a chance to go out for at least one run in India for the experience.

Weather here is very nice -- group run this evening, which I always enjoy.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

Condolences on the loss, Kimmie.  And also congrats on 23mi long run -- that's a pretty long one. I forget -- are you on a plan or inventing it yourself? (I had the impression that most plans don't go over 20.)

Thanks Perry... such a sad story.  She was riding her bike east, towards the rising run and an SUV struck her from behind.  The driver said she was blinded by the sun.   She leaves behind a husband and two college age daughters.

i didn't have a close relationship with her, but I am so sad for her husband and daughters.    Definitely puts things into perspective.

Re: training plan-  I am following one... now with all my aches and pains, I'm wondering if the 23 miler was too long.  Didn't run today to get myself another day of rest.

One child has a sleepover, little tougher to plan for the younger one, but still working on it.  If I don't run that race, it won't be the end of the world. I just like to get a half in before the full.

Ringmaster

Hi, everyone. Ran 6 today in slightly cooler weather--I think down by 2 degrees or so but definitely not as humid. Sweat evaporation is a great thing!

Sorry for the loss, Kimmie. I'll be praying for those girls--it's never easy to be without a mom, but college age . . . those are years they'd like to have her ears. I'm thinking I should go use my RoadID coupon.

I did a 23 during my first marathon training. I just wanted to make sure I could tackle the distance. I'm glad I did it, and I'll probably do it again. My mistake was doing it too fast, and this time I'll probably do it as my third 20 instead of the fourth--that way I can do pace miles in the last one. It tired me out too much, but I'm convinced it was pace, not distance, that did me in.

Paul, I hope your trip will be uplifting and not hurt your training at all. Hey, by departure time most of your training will be in the bank!

Mad Science sounds like fun, Pam!

First progress report ever for the kindy-gartner. They expect them to know 14 letters and she's reading chapter books, so she's fine. She was very nervous about it, though, God bless her. Smile Wait til Geometry!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

theyapper

On the road again...

Kim - I don't know how I missed what the funeral was about, but wow!  That breaks my heart.

Paul

That's sooooo sad Kimmie Sad my condolences!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WTG to your DD's kindy progress report! It won't be long until geometry is introduced (maybe even this year if not then 1st grade)

Both twins liked Mad Science.   I however am a bad mom Sad    Frankie started complaining about being tired when we got home. I figured it was due to not wanting to do his homework. Once he was on the computer doing his spelling home work he seemed fine however about a half hour later when he was playing a game he started with the whole whining thing. I told him if he was soooooooooo tired to come lay down by me. So he came and snuggled up to me. Well didn't take me long to figure out he was pretty warm. Um he had a 102.8 fever Sad  Guess he won't be going to school tomorrow. Last time he got sick with a virus he ended up with Encephalitis. He keeps crying that he doesn't want to end up going to the hospital Sad  Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

evanflein

Wow, that's warm. Nope, keep him home from school tomorrow, even if he's feeling better.

That's very sad, Kimmie. Bikes vs. cars is never a good outcome. Seems like I've been hearing about a lot of bike/car collisions this past year. Hope the husband and daughters can pull together and come through ok. Sometimes things like this pull a family apart when they need each other the most.

I've never done 23 on a training run, that I remember. I've done 21 several times, and 22 a time or two. I was going to do 24 for the last long run before the Ultra, but the weather sucked sooo bad I cut it short to 22.5 and apparently that was fine. I've always heard that after 20 miles, the risk of injury outweighs any additional training benefit you get from it so it's usually not advised. But... I think Galloway's plans go up to 29 or 30 or more?

I had a nice 5.5 mile hilly trail run at lunch in 47 minutes. Used the ultra extension from the Equinox, which starts (and ends) right by my office building. Nice today but a little more direct sun would've been appreciated.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

She has fast company on the concept of long training runs Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.