Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/22/09 (Read 346 times)

Hail to The Victors!

Good luck in Seattle, Erika! 

Bugs, you did great at Grandma's to finish in that!  Great work! 

Perry, good luck on the track this week!  I wish there was an all comer's track meet here before the fall, sounds like a blast!

Still working on speed here,  have another 10K Saturday, hoping to solidify my sub-40 status.   We'll see!

Dave

Have fun in Seattle, Erika.  I love that city.  Something about seeing the mountain in the distance (when weather allows) just fills me with awe.

Good luck on your 10K, Jeremy.

Moving continues.  Most of the house is packed.  Wardrobes and bedrooms today.  Load up on Friday.   Stained the deck for the renters last night.  That is one MESSY, NASTY, job.  Glad it's done.  More work to follow with 3 rooms to paint.  

Thinking about running but not running.  How do I log that?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Have a blast in Seattle Erika!

Jeremy, let us know how it goes.. you are smoking fast.

bugs, recover, recover,  I know that time is slower than your usual time, but I actually think a hot weather marathon takes longer to recover from.

Dave,  packing is no fun... it will be over soon...  

I've decided that I'm a really simple person....   not thinking I'm going to get a run in because DH had to leave for work early AGAIN= grouchy me.        actually getting a run in because a client cancelled = happy me.  Smile 

8 miles on wooded trails= heaven

evanflein

Kimmie, sometimes simple is good. Easy to figure out. Go with it. (I'm the same way)

Go Jeremy! Wow, sub 40... my friend ran 35:45 at the 10k last Saturday night. I can't imagine running that fast. I don't know that I'll ever see my PR time again at the rate I'm going!

Almost all packed for Seattle. Turns out the latest forecast is for partly cloudy and high of 74 on Saturday. Works for me. It'll be in the 50's in the morning but chance of rain is tiny. Yay!

Lou, I'd be curious to know how you'd be feeling if you hadn't done the fast walking stuff. Not having seen it there's no way for me to tell what the impact of the activity is, but it does make me wonder. Of course at this point there's no way to tell without a Lou-clone to serve as the control or comparison (and the clone would've done all the typical non-impact stuff... elliptical, swimming, etc). Pointless I know. Just a thought... ignore me.

It's still raining here so I'll RAL at the gym, just an easy 4 miler I guess.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We went to Seattle a couple years ago for a wedding, and I still remember driving south toward downtown and remarking to my wife that it looked like a mountain above the clouds, and her saying that no, that is just clouds... Heh. Guess which of us turned out to be right...

Later we went up to Paradise (on Ranier) and walked up for a couple miles. A friend had told us that we'd have to go up 2-3 miles for to hit snow. But she was there in August the previous year. We were there in early July. We walked on snow as soon as we left the Paradise lodge, and it was several feet deep within the first mile. Smile

It was fun walking on snow in t-shirts in July.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Good luck, Jeremy!

Erika - I've only been there once, but Seattle is one of my favorite places.  On the experiment you mentioned, I'm currently thinking about resting completely the next four days, prior to reentry into the community of runners on Monday.  Hopefully I don't get too fat.

On reentry, a good friend of mine gave me some advice, which is worth repeating, "I can tell you, you are fit enough to hurt yourself.  This is common when people use another method of cardio training (pool running, biking, elliptical, etc).  But the muscle or joint that has been recovering has not had this benefit.  Go slow, an extra week of ramp is better than an extra month of recovery."  (emphasis added)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Quick Post. Pictures are in I confess to charging the pace whenever I see a photographer. I really did okay except the last three miles, but I went through the water stops like an old lady.

Bugs

Kimmie

Great pictures Bugs!

You should take that last picture and make it your avatar.  Love the smile!  You look really strong!

Tonight is the timed mile for our running group.   It's always fun to see what's possible.  Not holding out too much hope though cuz of 90 degrees and all.

This is how badly I want to go to this workout tonight... I am in a worship band at my church and we have rehearsal tonight at 7:30.  The track workout is 6:45-7:45 or so. I plan to get there early and run until 7:30- go late to practice- and all sweaty... I'm sure everyone is going to love having me there stinking up the room, but I'm not missing it.

Off to the pool with my kiddos.

Lou- that sounds like great advice.

Bugs

Jeremey,

Good Luck on 10K. Sounds fun.

Erika,

Good Luck at Marathon. I thought it always rained in Seattle?

Kim,

That girl is too fat to be used in an avatar. But diet is ON and working.

Our Ragnar Relay team has an open spot if anyone is interested in running from LaCross WI to Minneapolis. Funny it is hard to find a runner willing to do this stunt.

Shoulders, Arms & Ab ripper tonight. It's going to kick my butt.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Have a great marathon Erika!

Dave:  Hope the moving is going well.

Jeremy:  Have an awesome 10k!

Bugs: Nice pictures!

Recovery continues.  5-mile run, 2,600yds in the pool. Injury starts to ache around 3-miles.  I bail on the run at 4 or 5-miles.  Hopefully the running helps recovery, at least for now it's helping my mood.  It will be some time I think before I push pace on a run or try going longer.   Just as well for now with the heat.  I can't believe the water weight loss even running with the handheld.  I need a handheld for the pool also.  The water is so warm that I lose a couple of pounds there also.  Hope this heat spell breaks soon. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

GOOD LUCK Erika!!! Enjoy Seattle!!

Good luck Jeremy  on your 10k this weekend!!

GREAT Pictures Bugs!! BTW YOU are NOT fat!!

Kimmie I'm really looking forward to Steamtown. Kids start daycamp next week so Training will be ON!

Speaking of training. My milage is down Sad  Really hard getting runs in between when Ken gets home and before kids bed time. Today I got out a bit early since Ken got home early. OMG I swear the sun about killed me. Talk about over heating big time. Needless to say I had a sucky 6 miler. I have to remember if I'm going to be out on the roads where there isn't any real tree coverage and the sun is out bright I really need to bring water with me. Tomorrow after I drop the twins off at their grandparents house (for the weekend) I will be running in the parkway where there is lots of shade and water fountains!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

hope the healing goes swift Bryan!! And as far as the heat  Ughhh I'm right there with ya bro! I should have weighed myself after my run this evening however all I could think about was water water water lol I probably drank a couple liter's right after getting home. I had a water "baby"

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Well, I ran my timed mile tonight:  6:50!!  I am totally happy with that, especially considering it was 95 degrees and we were running on a hot track.   

Have to figure out when to get my long run in.  Saturday morning is the swim meet... My girls have to be ready to swim at 6:50.  Saturday night is a 4 mile race, that I'm not racing, but helping clients run... so easy 4 miles with some extra thrown in.

Sunday morning I have to be at church to sing.    

So, my choices are:   1. Saturday afternoon in the heat before the 4 mile race   2. Sunday afternoon in the heat.  I think I'm going with the Sunday afternoon option.  

It's going to be a fun race on Saturday-  lots of people's first time at any race ever...   

Pam, that's nice that your kids will be able to go to day camp.  How long is the camp?

I'm having a hard time figuring out running as well.  DH leaves for work early and comes home late.    We have camp next week too, except I'm one of the camp counselors, so no free time for me.  Smile

akkk totally forgot about your mile race tonight Sad KUDO"S for running that fast in the heat! Imagine if it was a nice "chilly" 50 degrees!  I'd for for Sunday afternoon. SUCKS to run in the heat however the benifits will show themselves come October!! Good luck getting it in!  The twins will be in camp from 9-11 M-F until August 7th I believe. Enough to get a decent run in. Enjoy camp next week!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Also kinda humid tonight I'd say - we had our mile race tonight too. Crystal is fighting shin splits so she skipped it. Of course, it's hard to get her to stop, so she ran some -- at least that is on a rubber track, which is probably the best surface for her right now (as she hates uneven/off-road surfaces).

Good luck getting the long run in Kim, and best of luck on the weather -- seems like there's no telling these days whether it will be hot, or storming, or switching from one to the other...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.