Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/25 (Read 348 times)

Bugs

Bugs, so sorry to read that news.  Wow...37.

What would you do if you only had six months to live? Would hitting XX mpw be so important? Maybe I'd spend the weekdays with my family and spend my weekends running races like JellyFish. Smile

P2R, sorry about the SN (can't spell that). I haven't got that one YET.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

What would you do if you only had six months to live? 

I hope I never have to answer that question, and if I do, I hope I've lived my life so that not too much has to change.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

That's such a hard question.  Reminds me of the whole Randy Pausch last lecture thing.

I'd want to set up my family for when I was gone. 

6.3 today trying to stay ahead of TheYapper.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

What would you do if you only had six months to live? \

No idea.  Just enjoy life. 

5.4 today.  Hot and humid here, I think it's going to storm again sometime today. 

evanflein

Bryan, Lou is right. The first thing you have to do is get the inflammation under control. The sciatic nerve is irritated and inflamed and that's what's causing the pain. Ibuprofen really didn't do much for mine. I had a double course treatment of prednisone and that really really helped. Since everyone's case is a little different, your specific causes are what will determine your treatment. Mine is bony growths on the lumbar spine "ports" where the nerve branches out, mostly on the right side. It affects my inner hip and buttock area. Lou's problem is his foot. Some people get the "shooting pains" down the back of their leg. It's all the same issue: nerve inflammation.

So, no impact activities till it calms down. Heat is better than ice (I was sure glad to hear this). A friend of Lou's and mine with similar nerve issues found relief in hot baths. I like a heating pad on my lower back. I was cleared for pool running, but found the running motion made my right butt sore (probably piriformis involvement) until a week or so had passed (on meds). Bike was an approved activity, but the seat hurt my butt. The only thing I was able to do consistently was elliptical. Still doing it a few days a week, and pool running now.

After three weeks, I was cleared for gradual running and I mean gradual. Feels like all my running fitness has gone so the first 3-4 mile runs were hard. But, it's coming back. Slowly. Lots of PT stretches too. My PT thinks a contributing factor is my stiff lower back so we're working on flexibility there, and gentle stretching of the adductors which are also tight. I see my PT tomorrow and she's hoping I'll be good to go. She wanted me to run for a week and build up gradually to see how I tolerate it. If I'm good (which I think I am), she'll tell my doc I'm "released" to resume training.

It's a long trip... I expect to have to manage this as an ongoing thing now.

Kimmie, re: light all night... well, you get used to it. Or at least I do. Some people have a hard time and need light-blocking shades. I just got shades on my windows this past year and we don't use them in the summer (keep heat in during winter). The daylight here is always changing, 3-7 minutes per day gaining or losing. It's gradual enough that you just get used to it as the seasons move along. But it's also easy to find yourself out weeding the garden at 2 a.m. and have no idea what time it is...

Kimmie

I know that I  would spend as much time as possible with my family and close friends.  I was just talking the other day about how tragedies or crisis in other people's lives help to keep things in your own life in perspective.   I like Paul's answer too.

I hope I've lived my life so that not too much has to change.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes eveyrone!!!  Had a great birthday despite dd getting sick. She stayed home today, so I've been waiting on her hand and foot.

Sorry to hear about your friend Bugs!!! So young Sad  I think if I only had 6 months to live I'd spend every minute I could with my family. Don't think I'd run much if anything.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Took Body Pump today and then ran 4 miles.  I've got to reverse that.  Run first, weights after... . I love that class, though, so I don't want to give it up... just figure out a way to still get the running done easily.  My legs felt a little like lead during the run. Smile

Bugs

Well if it were me, I'd stop spending all my time and money at the chiropractor and the Team Blister group marathon would happen.

Bugs

I don't think I'd change much.  Well, maybe I'd stop working.

Humid again, 92% and 75°.  Went over that bridge again, this time all the way across, so up/down/up/down -- somehow it was easier today, not sure why.  I made the map visible in my log, if anyone is interested (and has a lot of spare time Smile )

9.1 miles, 1:16:31, 8:24/mi, AHR 158 (81% MHR)

Time for breakfast!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

So sorry to hear that Bugs. Cancer is such a horrible disease.

I'm recovering quite well from Bayshore. I'll be doing my second run a little later on today and will see how my pre race normal training pace feels. Think I'll kick the tires on an hour run this weekend if I'm up for it.

Got my next race(s) picked out. Fourth of July a 5k and a 10k back to back. I'm expecting some good performances but the courses aren't certified and are a bit short. Racing a 5k and a 10k back to back is pretty intense. I'm looking forward to it.

theyapper

On the road again...

Glad the post race recovery is going well, Mr. I.  5k and 10k b2b will be crazy.

An easy 3.5 miles today in the heat and humidity.  Yippee.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

ran 6 miles today... decided to take it easy the first 3 and then speed it up the last 3 to see what would happen.  Then about mile 4 it started pouring, which is no big deal, but i pretended i needed to get out of the rain, so I sped it up quite a bit and then I realized I was really cutting it close to getting back to the bus to get the kiddos.

so, all in all, one of those really good runs where air fills your body and you feel fast.... all relative, of course, but it felt fast to me.  Smile

Have a good one you all.... 

Dave

That back to back plan sounds tough, MrI.

Nice running, Yapper and Kim.  I love those rain runs when everything just clicks.

I decided to avoid the heat and humidity and chickened out on the treadmill.  3 miles with one hard.  25 minutes.  Getting excited about my 5K this weekend.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

There's a 5K/10K Daily double in Ann Arbor the weekend before Thanksgiving called the Iron Turkey.  I've thought about doing it, but I'd rather compete hard by running one race to the best of my ability rather than two.  Too competitive I guess.

Day off today.  Hit lunch with 'the herd', all of the co-workers in my office.