Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/25 (Read 348 times)

evanflein

I don't want to take today off but I didn't get to the gym at lunch. PT appt at noon and she's happy with my progress, but gave me one more exercise to work on for my right inner hip "pinch" or whatever it is. She thought it was one of the inner pelvic floor muscles (can't recall the name) OR some osteoarthritis causing the problem. If it's the former, we should be able to work on it. If it's the latter, not much we can do but learn to tolerate it (which I've been doing). She asked if I'd been running, and when I said yes (looking surprised cuz she told me to "go run and have fun" last week) she thought that was a good sign that I was no worse after resuming running. I think so, too. So... carry on, I guess.

Last night was 7.5 at average of 8:40 pace (which includes the 9:33 first mile partly with DH). The frustrating thing about this run is I was really working at MP pace with some tempo pace stretches. This same "effort" would've netted me a 7:45 mile on a couple of those (#4 and #7, specifically), but they were 8:22 and 8:16, about a full 30 seconds off pace. No big deal you say? Well, it was to me. This is the trail I frequently do tempo runs on, it's gently uphill on the way out and reverse that on the way back. The return trip is usually a wonderful "free for all" stretch where I get some good (yes, downhill) zippy miles. Not last night. I know, I know... it's early yet. Three weeks off and one week getting back into it; I expect too much.

Boys have soccer tonight, one at 6 and one at 7, different fields. Of course. Will try to work something out where DH and I can get to the gym for at least a little while.

(nice rain running, Kimmie. Yes, it's all relative)

Dave

Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words.  I want that feeling.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Great picture, Dave.  Smile  I guess I should say great picture, Jeremy.  Smile

Me too, I want that feeling.... and that time on the clock... yeah, right.

I think I know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask anyway:  When you go out for a long run, do you try to run a certain pace or just go by feel?  It's pretty hot out there, and I'm going to run 10 miles since we're leaving tomorrow morning early.  7 marathons and I still don't know about the whole debate between long slow running makes you a slow runner and you must go slow and easy in order to get faster.    And I don't have the patience to experiment.

just rambling,  I guess.... brain is tired today.   Smile  Good thing you don't have to think much when you're running.

Off to do my running... hope it's not as hot as it feels.

Hail to The Victors!

Great picture, Dave.  Smile

Me too, I want that feeling.... and that time on the clock... yeah, right.

I think I know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask anyway:  When you go out for a long run, do you try to run a certain pace or just go by feel?  It's pretty hot out there, and I'm going to run 10 miles since we're leaving tomorrow morning early.  7 marathons and I still don't know about the whole debate between long slow running makes you a slow runner and you must go slow and easy in order to get faster.    And I don't have the patience to experiment.

just rambling,  I guess.... brain is tired today.   Smile  Good thing you don't have to think much when you're running.

Kimmee, on a hot day, like a really cold day, it's totally on how you feel.  Maybe 10 years ago, I'd have said different (and I'd have been younger and a lot dumber, too).  Long and slow only keeps you slow if that's all you do.  As long as you intersperse the fast stuff in there, you'll slowly get faster. 

And it still feels good, 6 days later.   You'll get yours Dave, just gotta keep chipping away.  No rest for the wicked!  Almost 8 today, did some trails and got lost at one point.  *sigh* 

Kimmie

Yeah, I actually agree with that Jeremy... thanks for the input.  Looked at some more pictures of Bayshore on FB.   looks like so much fun.

10 miles didn't happen for me today... rain, I'm Ok with.... lightening, not so much.

Hopefully, tomorrow, I can be disciplined and get up early, run 10 miles and then hop in the car for 8 hours with the kiddos to the beach.   I need a wakeup call from Lou.  Smile  except he's on vacation.

Pam's running her ultra tomorrow!!!   Go Pam!!!!   

What's everyone else got on tap for the weekend?   It's too quiet around here lately.

Dave

I've got a 5K tomorrow night.  Not sure about the course but I'm going to see what I can do.

Down to 4 more weeks in our house so we're busy with some last minute fixes before the renters come in.

Supposed to go out to a course in Kansas week after next but it might not happen.  I may just take a week of leave if that happens.

MTA:  Good luck Pam!  You're nuts.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I mostly go by feel on long runs -- although I prefer to run with others, so if I can get some or all of it with someone else, I generally go at a mutually comfortable pace.

I did a test swim to an island this afternoon, for a planned swim-picnic for a tri club. We lucked out on weather - the thunderstorm came late and we had sunny weather for the entire outing (swim out, run around island, swim back).

I'm going to do a 5K in the morning, then direct a duathlon on Sunday morning. I might do the duathlon myself as well -- all depending on who shows up and how many volunteers I have.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

What's everyone else got on tap for the weekend?   It's too quiet around here lately.

Hey, Kimmie -- wake up!

We just got our internet back -- it's been pretty spotty.  :grr:

Yesterday I ran a little three miler with PDR -- got some sweetie points.  Except it was her first run in the heat here (she's had something going on with her knee), so the 10mm pace was for her, as she said, easy paced, tempo effort.

3.2 miles, 32:08, 10:00/mi, AHR 123 (63% MHR)

Thursday night we saw the Punch Brothers, a jazzy, blue grass band -- really fun.  Yesterday we went to a farmer's market (not much there) and art show at Marion Park.  We picked up a print there as a momento.

Today we're going to Middleton Place Plantation http://www.middletonplace.org/ .  Tomorrow we're wrapping things up -- traveling back Monday.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Hey, Kimmie -- wake up!

We just got our internet back -- it's been pretty spotty.  :grr:

Yesterday I ran a little three miler with PDR -- got some sweetie points.  Except it was her first run in the heat here (she's had something going on with her knee), so the 10mm pace was for her, as she said, easy paced, tempo effort.

3.2 miles, 32:08, 10:00/mi, AHR 123 (63% MHR)

Thursday night we saw the Punch Brothers, a jazzy, blue grass band -- really fun.  Yesterday we went to a farmer's market (not much there) and art show at Marion Park.  We picked up a print there as a momento.

Today we're going to Middleton Place Plantation http://www.middletonplace.org/ .  Tomorrow we're wrapping things up -- traveling back Monday.

Sounds very nice, Lou.

Makes me think about life after the kids are grown.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Hey, Kimmie -- wake up!

Thanks!!!  I actually got up at 5:30 after going to bed late.  Smile  11 pm-  Got some miles in before I finished up with my beginner group and now we're hitting the road to Myrtle Beach.  Sounds like you're having a great time, Lou.

Have a good trip, Kim.

And my run...

4.3 miles, 39:05, 9:06/mi, AHR 133 (68% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Sounds like you've had a great time, Lou.  And Kim, I'm sure you will, too.

Down in the capital city of SC visiting family but got in a 10 miler this morning.  Waiting on my wife to bring me some Starbucks now.

Life is good.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Camper

Hope Pam is having a great day! 

jhallum: What a great photo coming across the line!

My day has not been so good.  My shoulder checked out okay Friday and my leg was down to a slight limp.  I had my first duathlon this morning and thought with a little pain medicine I would be okay.  It was a 2/12/2 which I finished in 1:17 and change.  About 4 minutes slower than last year.  I was hurting on the runs but since they were 2 milers I thought I could get through them and do okay on the bike.  Bike average was 18mph which is good for me. I finished the race and stopped.  When I tried to start walking again I couldnt move.  I had to sidestep over to the grass and lay on my  back and stretch for awhile.  I had to put my weight on the bike to get back to the car.  Luckily I had done this with a friend and df was able to drive us back.  I've had to crawl through the house and looks like I will be on my back the rest of the day hoping the meds work.  Thank goodness the neighborhood pool opened up so I can see how pool running goes when I get the inflamation down.  I guess it's official, I'm all jacked up for awhile.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Jeremy,

I am so impressed great picture.

Seems like it is the day to run a 5K. Hope Perry and Dave had great races.

After struggling with my running for weeks, stiffness, and ackward form I finally got some therapy on my hamstrings. I had some pain there (from rock hard frozen calves) during Fargo. When they healed it left scar tissue/adhesions in my hamstrings making it difficult to run faster. I got them cleaned up and have been in the pool, although "I" think it is safer for me to run now, then all the running I did with messed up legs. Well needless to say this is not ideal. I should be running long this weekend, and am not.

There are some aspects of this training I really don't like. I really feel like I should be going into the marathon knowing what I can run. I know I can run 4:08, but I didn't need to train for nine months to do that. I also think the hill springing isn't for me. I injure too easily, but I think the idea that I need more strength training was right now. Hopefully I'll get it all right before I'm an old woman.

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, might be time to hit the gym. Squats, lunges (no added weight, just body weight at first), deadlifts with light weight, bench step ups. All those will help strengthen your legs and get you in better shape to handle the running demands you put on your legs. Just a thought...

Awesome picture, Jeremy. Like Kimmie and Dave, I'd love to see that time when I finish but pretty sure that's out of my league. Heck, I may never PR a marathon again but that's ok. I've got other goals these days besides speed.

Sounds like Lou and PDR are having fun. What a wonderful area to visit! Sweetie points, yes, I was collecting those, although I can't see DH calling them that. But lately we've been doing most of the first mile together and then I go on, catching him at the end. But I think he turns around too soon, and counts his walking cooldown as part of his run.  So, today I'm planning on doing my own run, then running easy with him later. Figured I'd be getting doubles out of this, but at least I'll get my own training in, too.

Hope Pam is having a good day out there.

Take care, Bryan. That race wasn't the smartest thing you could've done this weekend. Rest up and be careful, would ya??