Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/25 (Read 348 times)

Dave

Speaking of speed, I'm off for my twilight 5K.  Any word from Pam?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hi guys thanks for thinking of me!!

This one needs a report, I'll work on that over the weekend. However I didn't get 100k in. I got a total of 33.72 (got off course a couple times) and stopped at the halfway point.  The trail was very technical (lots of roots, loose rocks, mud etc).  I knew going into this that I wasn't prepared at all for that kind of terrain,but he it's in NJ how bad could it be??? HA!

Anyway think dh will kill me if I spend much more time on the puter!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY DAVE!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

33 is 7 more than I've ever run.  Great job, Pam!

21:02 for me.  Not sure of my placing but I'll post more and tell more later.  My goal was under 21 but this was a tough course so I'm not too disappointed.

DW11 ran the 1 mile fun run with me for a warm up and she finished in 8:20.  I'm really proud of her.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

P2R,

I'm jacked up right with you.

Bugs, might be time to hit the gym. Squats, lunges (no added weight, just body weight at first), deadlifts with light weight, bench step ups. All those will help strengthen your legs and get you in better shape to handle the running demands you put on your legs. Just a thought...

Yes, I was thinking the same. When I did step aerobics I was never injured. I still thinking no more hill springing. A doctor/ironman champion was in the pool today and he took pity on me. He laughed and said, "You run nine hours a week, have a chiropractor, and run a four marathon. If you run nine hours a week you should be running a 3:30." He did think that hill springing was very good training, but agreed with me that hill springing is likely how I got injured. He wants to show me some weight training techniques. I know a few people he has taken under his wing and they have became great athletes. Maybe I'll try to track him down in the pool after the marathon, right now I just am getting through everything and don't want to start anything new.

Bugs

Cashmason

21:02 for me.  Not sure of my placing but I'll post more and tell more later.  My goal was under 21 but this was a tough course so I'm not too disappointed.

DW11 ran the 1 mile fun run with me for a warm up and she finished in 8:20.  I'm really proud of her.

You have 11 wives?  You are a better man than I, sir.

Tough luck on the 100k, Pam.  I agree with Dave -- 33.7 is way further than I have ever run.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

You have 11 wives?  You are a better man than I, sir.

Not at the same time.

The first 10 were SO annoying.  They had to go.  This one is a keeper.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Dave

Few details from last night's race.  No full race report.

Beautiful country setting.  Went out too fast (no surprise).  First mile 6:29, then hit big hill out to the turnaround slowing second mile to 7:05.  Last mile at 6:55 I think.  Might have placed in my AG but no higher than 3rd.  Didn't wait for the awards (DD4 was getting hungry and tired).  Winner was really fast (sub 16?).

Liked this pic even though its blurry.  Heading towards the finish.  Hurting.  DD11 was trying to pace me to the finish off on my left.

Finishing 1 mile with DD11.  She was running good to the finish.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Nice pics, Dave -- cool having your DD pace you.

I'd planned to do 15 but made the mistake of picking a route which allowed me to bail.  But it was hot and humid (74°-82°F, 84%) and I ran out of water at around mile 12 -- this was fine -- I figured 13-15 was what I'd run when I set out anyway.

Slow and easy...

13.6 miles, 2:07:02, 9:22/mi, AHR 151 (77% MHR)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Had a fun 5K race yesterday morning, and even managed to get out fast on the first mile -- I'm usually conservative at the beginning, and think I need to push it harder to get faster times -- but it was an out and back on slight rolling hills, into the sun on the way back, and I think we all faded on the way back. I know I did, and I still passed people on the way back, so at least the people around me were also fading.

DW wanted to go for 10mi when I got back, so went out with her for 10mi in the heat, and was very tired for much of that. Had a nice nap afterward.

Today the sky was clear at 0600 but dark and overcast by 0645, and sudden downpour and lightening not long after that. Then it passed. However, we only got a couple people come out for our duathlon this morning, so the director (me) participated as well. And got my rear kicked by that cycling part -- I was really tired out by it, and by the final 5K after it.

Highlights: After storm passed, we had good weather. Someone brought brownies. Someone put ice into the water cooler (yum, cold water, that's the way I like it). I didn't spill or fall down -- even though I was really tired, which definitely makes me clumsier.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hail to The Victors!

You neglected to mention the 20 second PR!  Nice work man.  Nice work indeed!

Too bad about the 100mi Pam, maybe next time?

Walked a 5K with DW1.  It was such a nice day here, I really wanted to race today, but I promised her I'd walk (I figured it would be better to have downtime for next week's race).  She's working on getting her unloading knee brace working better, and I think she's pretty happy with walking the whole thing without knee pain.  She's getting her knee scoped in July now.  If it turns out she needs the osteotomy, she's excited about the possibility of running a 5K from beginning to end.  Until that happens, though, it's walking only, the brace is nice, but it's really bulky!

Dave

Yeah, 20 second PR.  Might've been a minute on a flatter course.  AHR on that run was 178 and it spiked up on the hill to 183 (previously I thought that was my max).

I'd like to announce to the group that I've put to rest any thoughts of the Dances with Dirt 50K.

Reason is here.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Yeah, 20 second PR. 

Nice!  21:02 is screaming fast -- I understand the desire to break that minute boundary but still: well done!

Cashmason

Yeah, 20 second PR.  Might've been a minute on a flatter course.  AHR on that run was 178 and it spiked up on the hill to 183 (previously I thought that was my max).

I'd like to announce to the group that I've put to rest any thoughts of the Dances with Dirt 50K.

Reason is here.

Because you dont like running topless in speedos?