Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/1/09 (Read 321 times)

I tried running with my dog for a while, but she started getting anxious when we got more than a mile or so away from the house.  She started dropping back then pulling, but she wasn't tired because as soon as I would turn around to head back towards the house she was running alongside me again.  She was ok at heeling, but I had to keep reminding her.

9.2 miles, 1:12:13, 7:53/mi, AHR 150 (77% MHR), incl 10x20sec striders

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Thanks Cash! All that makes sense and one thing I don't have to worry about from Kallie is her being the pack leader lol. DH had me use the retractable leash yesterday however from now on I plan on using her regular one. I've gotta do some research. See if she needs a day off today or if it's ok to run consecutive days.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Bugs:  Hang in there.  We'll both get better at the same time.  We have to.  We've paid our entries already.

Smile I'm not giving up. You know my motto, "Don't give up, whatever you do, don't give up".

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

AmosPeros avatar looks like Beavis doing crunches.

Dave - hammies - take care of them.

tapping foot impatiently waiting for weekly summary

Took a spin class for the first time last night. While it was a good workout, I didn't care for it all in all. It was fairly intense though and maybe a little soon after marathon. I'm continuing to ease back into training and have run up to an hour. Will probably hit 90 minutes later this week. I've got my HM picked out and am planning my training framework. I love that part.

Dave

tapping foot impatiently waiting for weekly summary

Calves.  Take care of them.  

Lazy morning for me.  Got in 3 easy last night on the treadmill.  Legs were still sore and couldn't force myself out the door this morning.  May try again later in the heat and humidity.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Calves.  Take care of them.  

+1

I was up early at the Y but my legs were sore from all that aquajogging. Serious. I lifted my knees really high and think I worked some muscles. For the sake of love, I've giving up an occassional noon run for a lunch date with DH, so my XTing was eating with honey today. I like it.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Sheesh, the injury bug is kinda going around, isn't it?

Get well everyone!

10.1 today, but the horses wanted to get out.   I let them run uphill, but otherwise took it easy.  Of course, there were a lot of uphills, so the whole thing was probably faster than it should have been...

evanflein

Didn't run last night, but then again I wasn't planning to. Still working on getting my garden in. The combination of that damn thing getting a little bigger and me getting a little older every year is starting to show. It used to take me a weekend to get it done, now it takes a couple of weeks. But then, years ago on the weekend plan, I wasn't running either. Go figure.

Got a sore right butt muscle from last night. Our lot is on a hill, so lots of trudging up and down the hill carrying stuff, raking, etc. Really wore me out and had a sore spot at the end. Rats. Hope that goes away... Got more gardening to do tonight but I also want to run 5. Can't RAL cuz I was late this morning so working thru lunch hour. This sucks.

I never could get my dog to run with me. She was pretty young when I tried, and just about pulled my arm off stopping to sniff and pee all over. And she's like Lou's dog too... the farther from home we got the more she'd drag, then she'd zip on in front when we turned for home. Like a barn sour horse!

I sure hope to hear all injuries here are healed ASAP!!

Speaking of gardening go figure this is our first year that we planted a garden and as of yesterday we're not allowed to water the lawn, garden etc etc for the rest of the summer grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Thankfully it's not all that big.

Love those noon lunches with dh! I'm envious Bugs!

well it's hard not to let the horses out Jeremy! Nice run!

hope you get a run in Erika!!  BTW my butt is sore too (from Saturday)

Got 5 easy miles in this morning. Had planned on getting out with Kallie again tonight however after a busy evening with soccer/softball she looked too pooped to run so I bagged the run. Tomorrow I have a 5k though I doubt I'll be ready to race it yet.  I do plan on running it at least.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

'morning.  The only problem about coming back from vacation is getting used to waking up early again.

5.1 miles, 47:36, 9:18/mi, AHR 130 (67% MHR)

Bugs

Had therapy on my quads today. He found lots of adhesions. It does hurt when they rub them out. I asked him if he would define my injuries as everything below the waist, and he said yes. He said that he showed the video of the hill springing to two different sports doctors and they all agreeded it is the cause of my injuries and highly DO NOT recommend doing those exercises.

Coach Nobby thinks my injuries is mental not physical. "I'm sort of hard to believe that your "damage" is so much physical than mental. " He also accused me of running fast but I haven't. I have done the hill exercises and easy running. He won't believe someone got hurt doing his training, thus I must have done something else. He even wrote, "And, while I'm happy you get such good camaraderie feeling from your on-line friends and I don't know what sort of advice you're getting there.  But if that influences you too much in a wrong direction, I don't know if it's a good idea...  I don't know if you want advice from them or from me. " And you guys have only been supportive, and not tried to influence my training.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be injured and have someone tell you that it's all in your head and that your heart isn't it into. I am not willing to futher hurt myself in a race. I have spent hours of vacation going to graston visits and hundreds of dollars on therapy. I've given my heart and everything all I've got. He simply doesn't understand soft tissue injuries. My body healed after Fargo and scar tissue developed make restrictions. My doctor just smiled and said, "Your injuries aren't in your head they are in your legs."

We'll see about Grandmas. It's not a goal race at this point. The main goal is to recover, be able to run this summer. I am done having a coach and am going back to what works for me, which is lots of non-running strength exercise and moderate mileage. I ran a 21 min 5K when I did that.

Bugs

Dave

That just sucks, Bugs.  Don't know what else to say.  Hope it gets better.

6 for me today in the warmer temps.  Felt good to run again.  I'm not sure I do well without a marathon on the schedule to keep me focused.  Might have to do something about that. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Sorry Bugs. He doesn't sound very sympathetic, to say the least. And just a wee bit of a control freak if you ask me. The "my way or the highway" approach doesn't work for me. Anyone who questions your dedication and determination obviously doesn't know you very well.

5.4 last night for me in our warmer temps. Upper 70's and low 80's this week. Today it looks pretty hazy out there... looks like forest fire smoke. That sucks... could really mess up a summer in a hurry. We've had some cloudy cool (and almost cold) days, with some showers here and there but no real rain yet this summer. It's very very dry here...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Tonight seems just like last night here.

Yesterday afternoon I got in a couple miles in mid-90s and then rode a 10mi crit, and then was in my car driving away when the sky fell in Smile

Tonight I got 10mi in a relatively hilly neighborhood mostly with Crystal, running all the uphills hard. Finished, went to Chipotle's, feeling woozy and looking like I was gonna pass out as I ordered. She came in and got food too, and we sat down to eat, and I glanced outside, and the sky was falling in Smile

Last night Crystal said the temp dropped 30 degrees. I heard people claim hail and 50mph winds. Tonight I dunno what we got.

Bugs, very sorry to hear about your leg & training issues; hope you can get to something comfortable and working for you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'm toning down my response, bugs, which leaves me at a bit of a loss for words.  Suffice it to say I'm having a hard time with his attitude, and his lack of understanding of yours.