Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/27/2011 (Read 234 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Did an annual island swim this weekend with local tri-club -- swam out to it & back. Had fun. Hardly got sunburned, which is a PR for the event for me -- have always gotten sunburned in the past.

Presumably Bugs did some exciting OWS (swimming) this weekend also?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

Bugs did her first REAL triathlon. Everything went better than I expected. Swim was 8:43, most of it went fast. Swam around a few people. Wetsuit came off okay. Was racing other girls on the bike, held nothing back. Took the corners fast, and flew. Heartrate was crazy high. and I was worried I was going to fast but just went with it. Got the run and did nothing but pass people. I was in the fourth wave and so any guy I passed I knew had started six minutes ahead of me. Avg pace for the run was 8:05. finish time 1:22:??.  For sure I want to do the same race next year, but as a stronger biker.

Bugs is officially training for the San Antonio Rock-n-Roll Marathon.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I saw in the last week thread you were doing a tri with an OWS this weekend. But the swim was just under 9 minutes, and the run was... about 10 mi? What distances was this? Sounds like a long run for "sprint tri", or else a very short swim -- or else you're better than world class in the swim, if you did an Olympic tri swim in 9 minutes...

Wait. I maybe figured it out -- was the run 82 minutes, or was the whole thing 82 minutes? The latter makes more sense, but I misread what you wrote at first...

Bugs

Perry, sorry. I was rambling last week about how many minutes I thought the swim would take me.  It was a Sprint Triathlon. 1/4 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3.6 mile run.

Swim  100yd Trn.1  Rank    Bike    Rate   Trn.2   Rank   Run     Pace  Finish  
          8:45     2:00   1:37   18         42:44  16.8     0:59    8           28:54  8:02    1:22:56

31/95 Female Placement

13/38 35 - 44 Age Group

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sounds great -- especially all the passing, and passing guys who started ahead of you Smile

evanflein

Awesome race for you, Bugs! Your excitement really shines through in your post! Congratulations on kicking butt in that OWS you were so worried about. I bet you'll PR next year!

Back home after a crazy month with lots of travel. You guys already know part of what I did... but basically it was 4 marathons in 4 weeks, with a 10k thrown in there as well. Had a blast and didn't get hurt. What more can you ask for? Glad to be home for awhile now. Will post a race report encompassing all of it soon.

Glad to see Gen is still hanging around! How'd those races go?

Hey.  Congrats to Bugs on her tri -- nice to get past the OWS, eh?  Now there'll be no worries for the next one.

And Erika!  Wow -- well done!

I decided not to wear my boot starting yesterday, as I want to start running again this week.  I think I'll try a three miler Friday.  Wonder what the doctor will say tomorrow when I see him?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Doc will probably say no it's too soon. But I'd do it anyway. When I was recovering from sciatica, I ran three times before my PT said "ok, I think you're ready to try a little test run." I said, "ok, cool." Never looked back.

7.1 mile tempo run last night, 7:43 avg pace. I did stop a couple times for traffic and took advantage to catch my breath, but overall a good steady run. Will run 3-4 easy peasy tonight after work, 1 mile race on the track tomorrow. I hate the mile. Give me 26 of 'em any day of the week, but racing the mile is just hard.

Possibly that's what he'll say, I agree.  But I think he is a runner, so I'm not as sure.

Kimmie

Erika,  how did your mile go?    You've gotten so fast lately....  that's awesome.    We have a timed mile with our running group.  I always like it because they do it again at the end of the season.

Lou, hang in there.   You'll be back to normal in no time, I'm sure.

Bugs, I'm so proud of  you too!   It's been great to read about your tris.   I am so impressed because I'm still too afraid to attempt it.

Well, I've completely changed my diet and dropped 7 pounds lately....  lots of fruits and veggies, lean proteins,   common sense really, but I wasn't doing it before.   I feel a million times better and still want to lose a bit more.

I ran an 8K this morning in 42:55, and placed 2nd in my age group  ( smallish race helped)   I felt great and that has encouraged me that the diet and weight loss has made a big difference.

Hope you all enjoy your holiday weekend!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Woohoo, congratulations on all three Kim - the diet improvement, the weight loss, and the AG award.

I've been doing track races. PR'd at the mile on Tuesday, at the 3000 on Wednesday.

I snuck over to your log, Perry.  Fast!

Thursday my doctor recommended I hold off until 7/11 to run again, but I decided to give it a go this morning -- 3 mi @ 9:10/mi pace.  I feel fine, but I'll see what I can do to ease into it rather than jump right back into the training plan.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What do you call a runner who is capable of running, but refraining because the doctor said to?

Imaginary

evanflein

Good job on the 8k, Kimmie! And good for you on the eating plan. I hate to use the word diet, as it implies something you go on and then off. An eating plan is more long term. The goal is to make it your normal way of eating, and then you'll probably have "room" for occasional treats and splurges.

Wow, Perry. Was that a bunch of races in one meet? Very nice mile time.

Mine was ok, no PR but that was to be expected. I ran easy and hit 6:43.9, good enough for 1st in AG which is all I really cared about. Rainy overcast day turned into a gorgeous evening, and DH came along and helped out with the finish line. It was a fun evening all around.

Yesterday I ran 6.2 miles on the Equinox Ultra trail loop at lunchtime, then hit the gym for an U/B weight workout with DH after work. Today we had a slow morning with waffles for "brunch," then I went out for an 8 miler. Got caught in the rain, which wouldn't be bad except I didn't have a hat. DH came looking for me, and I happily accepted a ride back up our dirt road to the house. Didn't want to deal with the mud anyway. Smile  I'm enjoying the "no plan" running for now, but I need to get organized here soon. Got a couple of big races coming up in 3-4 weeks (no, not marathons, but a hilly trail race and a HM for now).