Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/5 (Read 355 times)

Cashmason

Bugs looks very Hollywood with her new Avatar. Good Luck Erika and JHallum. 6.25 miles today after and hour of weights. Think I tweaked my back doing deadlifts. Feels minor though. Did not hurt running. Does hurt trying to stand/sit.
      I've had good results with just ibuprofen for minor back pain. The anti-inflammatory of it seems to reduce whatever swelling is inside enough to allow healing. Today's run was recovery paced -- I really had to watch myself to keep from running faster. That's normal for a Saturday, usually the 2nd day in a row for recovery run. 5.1 miles, 45:22, 8:57/mi, AHR 141

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

glad the ibuprofin helped!! nice run!
        Kimmie

I like the new avatars too- Shan and bugs. wish I could be more creative with mine. Had good one today - 6 miles easy in 59 min. or so... Tomorrow I will be tackling the 21 miler. Wish me luck!

Oh Mighty Wing

good luck Kimmie!! I'm sure you will do awesome!

Dave

Good luck tomorrow, Kimmie (last long before Myrtle Beach?) Also to Erika and Jeremy down at Disney!! 3 easy on the treadmill today and some ab work for me.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Short report on the 10k. My time was disappointing to me but I don't think I should fault my effort. Finished in 53:39. Splits/Avg. HR: 1.) 7:48 165bpm, 2.) 8:45 169bpm, 3.) 8:19 172bpm, 4.) 9:09 171bpm, 5.) 8:22 172bpm, 6.) 9:16 173bpm Course had total elevation gain and loss of 213 feet so it was fairly flat. Max HR was 179bpm for the run. Total Avg. HR was 170bpm. Relates to anerobic effort for 10k distance. I've run this distance faster, I don't know if I've ever sustained Anaerobic Effort for each mile at this distance. 80 - 90% of Heart Rate Reserve is for me, 161bpm - 175pbm. My VO2 Max Effort is 175 - 189bpm. I kept a slightly faster pace up for the 10-miler I ran in December but have no data available other than time and distance because pacing devices weren't allowed. I think it's time to lose some weight and start working on fast twitch muscles. Any thoughts? Next Question for all you DC Area peeps: DW has a conference in mid-April. She will be staying close to Reagan Airport and has evenings that week free. Neither of us have ever been to the DC area. What would be your must see things to do?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

My run this morning sucked. Did it inside. It was actually decent outside but I wasnt dressed for it. Got through 2.5 miles and felt light headed. Realized all I had last night was soup, and ate nothing this morning. Ate decent lunch and drinking some water, going to get some miles in outside within the next hour or so.

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - I still think you did a great job!! And go spend some time on the Lawn. Murphy - sorry your morning run didn't go so well.

Happy Camper

Thanks Shan! I'll shoot the stupid question now. What is the Lawn?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Short report on the 10k. My time was disappointing to me but I don't think I should fault my effort. Finished in 53:39. Splits/Avg. HR: 1.) 7:48 165bpm, 2.) 8:45 169bpm, 3.) 8:19 172bpm, 4.) 9:09 171bpm, 5.) 8:22 172bpm, 6.) 9:16 173bpm Course had total elevation gain and loss of 213 feet so it was fairly flat. Max HR was 179bpm for the run. Total Avg. HR was 170bpm. Relates to anerobic effort for 10k distance. I've run this distance faster, I don't know if I've ever sustained Anaerobic Effort for each mile at this distance. 80 - 90% of Heart Rate Reserve is for me, 161bpm - 175pbm. My VO2 Max Effort is 175 - 189bpm. I kept a slightly faster pace up for the 10-miler I ran in December but have no data available other than time and distance because pacing devices weren't allowed. I think it's time to lose some weight and start working on fast twitch muscles. Any thoughts? Next Question for all you DC Area peeps: DW has a conference in mid-April. She will be staying close to Reagan Airport and has evenings that week free. Neither of us have ever been to the DC area. What would be your must see things to do?
                        Nice job on the 10K, P2R. I think you're right about integrating a bit more speed work to go with all those miles. I'm wondering if you might be better off mostly ignoring the monitor during races, at least at shorter distances. I've found that when I don't know how high my HR is, I don't let it "talk me out" of faster paces. On longer races, I pay more attention to prevent crashing later. On the DC trip, you're going to be there either during or just after the cherry blossoms (beautiful time). I wouldn't miss taking an evening walking around the National Mall (Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, by the White House, Washington Monument, up to and around the capital, supreme court). The Smithsonian exhibits close at 5:30PM but if you could break away early, I wouldn't miss the newly refurbished Natural History Museum and the American History Museum. Also, I'd spend an evening walking through Georgetown (M-Street) and having dinner down there along the Potomac. Great shopping. Great restaurants. Dinner at Mount Vernon is also a nice thing to do. If you want a tour of the Pentagon during the day, drop me a note and I can get you in and around.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Dave: Thanks for the insights and the site recommendations. I did pull back somewhat at miles 3 & 4 because I thought what ever extra I forced out those miles could not be sustained. I appreciate the tour offer. DW is going to this conference with coworkers. I hope to take at trip there someday.

Oh Mighty Wing

The Lawn is a big patch of grass. When I was younger I wanted nothing more than to spend every day playing on the grass. Dave - the Lawn is the National Mall isn't it?? you have to forgive me I haven't been to DC since 2001. I keep putting my run off... I need to go get it done! Went out to run. Ran 1.5 miles - thinking about my calves the whole time - they started to cramp - I came home. I HATE cutting runs short, but with the race tomorrow I didn't think continuing was in my best interest even though what I was feeling wasn't bad and would have been bearable or at least ignorable. I'm concerned that I'm going to just start letting things act as excuses to cut runs short though... RRRRAAAAWWWWWWRRRRR

Dave

We're talking about the same place (National Mall/Lawn). You're going to get a great view of it during the HM in March Big grin

dgb2n@yahoo.com

6 miles outside in the cold mist. Felt decent. My nipples hurt