Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-30 (Read 351 times)

Bugs

Bugs, did you run anything after your last long run??? If you didn't I'm sure that had alot to do with it as well as the fact that you are just recovering from being sick. I think you shouldn't worry too much about getting a hard and fast 18 miler in before getting some faster shorter runs in and some nice and easy long runs in. Sorry to hear your so frustrated!
    Sorry I'm behind on my log. I ran 9 miles with hill circuits on Wed. 6 miles nice pace Thursday, and 30 minutes on Friday. My legs weren't tired today. Work, the econony and blood sucking clients is draining the life out of me. Had it not for the weather I would have ran nice and easy 5 miles , and long run tomorrow. However even then I could not have ran the long run hard. Who runs a long run hard the first time they cover the distance? I just think it's nuts.

Bugs

Sorry I'm behind on my log. I ran 9 miles with hill circuits on Wed. 6 miles nice pace Thursday, and 30 minutes on Friday. My legs weren't tired today. Work, the econony and blood sucking clients is draining the life out of me. Had it not for the weather I would have ran nice and easy 5 miles , and long run tomorrow. However even then I could not have ran the long run hard. Who runs a long run hard the first time they cover the distance? I just think it's nuts.
      I totally understand about circumstances that drain everything from you! I agree about that running long and hard the for the first long run of season is NUTS!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Yeah Bugs, I wouldn't run it hard the first time out for that distance. And on my long runs that end up fast, it's usually because I'm taking advantage of the hills. You might try doing the 3:1 fast-finish long run, where you run the first 3/4 of your run easy, then crank it up a bit for the last 1/4. I think that sort of approach has much more value than just killing yourself trying to crank it up the entire distance. And yes, life circumstances do take a lot out of you. While running is a good outlet for stress and pressures, it's also not realistic to assume all that stuff isn't going to affect performance. Cut yourself some slack. Remember, we don't get paid to do this! Hope to be able to check up on Shan soon. The website said results within 24 hours, but I hope she checks in before that. I'd love to see pics from that race, it looks gorgeous. 9 hilly miles today, 8:28 avg pace. I feel pretty good about this run because I tried to take it pretty easy; didn't push it hard at all and got a pretty good average overall. Of course, being a hilly route my individual miles were all over the place, but they averaged out nicely. Big grin
          The results are on the web site that Pam pointed to, Erika Smile (nice 20 p2r!)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

So it is. She did pretty well, that's a helluva hilly course! DH told me there were some moose along the trail I was planning on running today, so I took my camera. Didn't see the moose, but I thought you guys should see what I'm still dealing with, as far as snow goes. This is the bike path on our road, my house is a mile up the hill from here. Sure was a nice day today.
            theyapper

On the road again...

Got in a bit over 7 today. Not the best run, not the worst. But it is done and it put me over 900 miles since I started running last April. You guys are doing amazing things. Your paces and distances blow my mind. Shan, hope you're race went well. Can't wait to hear.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

HEY GUYS!!! I will catch up after I go get some dinner. I just got to the resort in Genoa (outside Tahoe) - STUNNING!!! Anyway I need food and then I will be back to catch up and tell you about the race. The short version - 5:04:07 - good for 7th place overall - my first EVER top 10 finish! I was less than an hour behind 1st place (4:09). I can't wait to see how gender/age results turn out!!!! Cash - WinkTHANKS!!!

Bugs

Wow that course Shan ran was a helluva hilly course. I had no idea. She did excellent. I think I know how to get Erika to do a Team Blister race. We have to pick a really hilly bad ass course. Thanks for the long run advice. I've got four weeks before Fargo, and I think I can fit in two nice slow longer runs in easily. I think for now, I'll just keep them slow 9:30 pace and not even worried about making it a progressive run. I ran some 3/4 mile intervals two weeks ago at 6:40 pace. Wed, I was running the flat sections in the hill circuit at 7:30 pace. Clearly I can run fast, but I'm short on endurance training, but a practice marathon should help. I just don't want the practice marathon to be overly frustrating, oh and I'm not flippin dropping out either as someone suggested. Found another way to upset my husband, mention running a third marathon in July.

Bugs

Wait til Shan sees that she won her age group!! Thats crazy. Thats a better time than my PR (at least for another month). Bugs, Id have to agree..youve got plenty of speed. Just get some long slow ones in, and youll kick some butt. I ended up just doing 6 tonight. My legs felt fantastic. My pace was faster than normal. Had some stomach issues and heartburn. I ate a very late lunch--and it didnt really agree with me. Great weather today. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy. Seems like all Sundays have been that way as of late.
                    Cashmason

Hey Shan, I sent you an email. You may need to check your spam folder, as my email name is weird. Shhh Erika, I know what you are thinking, don't say it. I was actually not the worst swimmer at the swim clinic down in Carlsbad today. The Opera was fantastic. Have to teach spin in 5 hours so off to bed for me.

Dave

The short version - 5:04:07 - good for 7th place overall - my first EVER top 10 finish! I was less than an hour behind 1st place (4:09). I can't wait to see how gender/age results turn out!!!!
                        And #1 in her age group. Another AG win for Team Blister! Lacing up the shoes now for a long run this morning. Erika, spring will come eventually. Its hard to imagine still dealing with that much snow. I would post pictures but it would only piss you off. (think Washington Cherry Blossom Festival this weekend). Speaking of cherry blossoms, good luck on the 10 miler this morning Kimmie!!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Go, Kimmie! Just finished making dough for pizza, and another batch for bread. Now it's time for my run.

Dave

14.5 miles this morning. Just wasn't quite feeling it today. Pushed through. Glad I logged the miles.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

ok i still haven't caught up... I'm the worst team member!!! I'm still getting settled. anyway little more on yesterday: Golden Gate Headlands Marathon Check-in. Trail marathons can suck it. It was an awesome experience and the hills were more like mountains to me anyway... I had to climb 3 different sets of stairs and run down numerous areas with the ties in the dirt to keep from too much erosion. Anyway, it was really much harder than what I was prepared for. And I've only run on a trail once (4 miles) and carried a water pack once - so you know this was a new fun experience. Oh and my water bladder started leaking at mile 3 - water stops were 3-4 miles apart - it was high 50's full on sun - refilled the bladder 2x and just let it run down the back of me - kept me cool so that's a plus - made my shoes squish - not so plus. anyway, I finished in 5:04:07 which put me 7th overall, 3rd female, 1st in AG!!!!!! SWEET!!!!!! The winner was 4:09 - so I don't feel too bad about my time. Remember you do that 2x. Ok - breakfast, market, unpacking, relaxing, running... my days plans...
                                Amazing, JF -- that was a good time for running trails with that elevation change! My run this morning was a good confidence builder. I was wondering how it would go with legs a bit tired from yesterday's tempo, but I was fine. 16.2 miles, 2:19:04, 8:34/mi, AHR 149 (76% MHR) miles@pace(AHR) = 5@9:10(138), 6@8:41(146), 5.22@7:53(162) all splits: 9:15(150), 9:08(136), 9:17(134), 9:03(141), 9:06(141) 8:50(143), 8:51(146), 8:46(141), 8:34(146), 8:34(148), 8:32(153) 8:09(157), 8:04(160), 7:58(162), 7:46(163), 7:36(166), 1:36(167) [0.22=7:16] I have a head cold, but my nose didn't run much during the run. I'm sneezing and nose is running now though. Undecided