Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-30 (Read 351 times)

Bugs

Sorry I'm not "in-love" with you guys yet. I like you all though. Wink Dave, sorry about the watch. I've been watching shopping tonight. I do not want to use garmin for races. The garmin is so big and it is more than I need for the marathon. I want to just hit the lap button and see where I'm at. I want a lap/interval watch with lap recall on it, so I can record the time of multiple runs. Anyone have a recommendation?

Bugs

The Garmin is kind of a safety net for me in marathons. A few missing or inaccurate mile markers after mile 20 screw with your head. Ive always liked my Nike 50 lap watch. Inexpensive and does the job. When saved it easily pulls all the lap times, and average lap time.
      evanflein

6.1 miles, 8:06 average pace. I'll call it a tempo effort, even though my mile splits were all over the place depending on the terrain. But I managed to hold a pretty good pace on some of the uphills, which was nice. Good luck, Shannon. What's the URL of your race? (yes, I could look it up...)

Oh Mighty Wing

Funny, Shan. Smile. Should have Rick Rolled her though. Light rain but warm, albeit windy, 55°F. This was supposed to be a recovery run, but there were striders and I wasn't paying attention in the last mile. So the pace falls in the no-man's land between Recovery and general aerobic. 4.1 miles, 35:23, 8:42/mi, AHR 144 (74% MHR) Bugs, I've got nothing for you -- I'd be lost without my garmin and have never run with anything else. Having said that, I also am a little irked by the 5 second difference between displayed and actual pace during races. Dave did the iTouch come back to life? Kimmie - did the rest help your legs?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Good morning you all- I think the rest did help. I wonder if I should try to pool running today. not sure, especially since i've never done it. Bugs, I'm with the others that like their Garmins. Shan- good luck!! I'm totally jealous b/c I love San Fran.... just really beautiful. And unlike Bugs, I "love" you guys Wink the exact same way I love me some cold beer after a evening track workout.

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie - glad to hear the rest helped. If you pool run i'll be interested to hear what you think of it. Course if you get the rain we have now it will feel the same! haha Lou - light rain?? We have a good steady rain going! I was so wet my shoes were sloshing!!!
                theyapper

On the road again...

Took the last 2 days off - back today. Looks like everyone's doing well - sorry to hear about the iPod touch, Dave. Good luck on the left coast, Shan. Did a easy 3.5 miles this morning. Will run another even easier 30 minutes or so with my wife later this afternoon. Beautiful weather here in the Carolinas.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Great that you can run with your wife, Paul. Also sorry to hear about your IPOD touch, Dave. My 9:30 client cancelled, so I decided to jump in on a spin class. First time I've taken spin in a really long time. Hope I don't regret it on Sunday. I just couldn't make myself run. Want to not feel the shin pain again. It's horribly rainy here, like Shan said.... yeah, I could never live in Seattle.

Dave

Didn't even look outside. Straight to the treadmill for 4 miles at probably too fast a pace. Got bored without my music. Ipod appears to be completely shot. Hope everyone enjoys their runs today. It was like a breath of fresh air for me, even on the treadmill. I feel so much better afterwards that it makes me wonder how I could ever procrastinate a run or skip a day because I don't feel like it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - why are your fartlek's and your easy's the same pace? (for real)

Dave

Because I'm lazy about the way I log them. Today probably should've been fartlek. I did an easy mile, then progressive halfs, then 1 final mile at 7:30, then a recovery half mile for a total of 4.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

oh ok. (please read above, bleow, and in between the lines on things i'm not going to say because it would be a waste of finger energy) Tongue Big grin Evil grin

Bugs

Shan, I would love to race as much as you too. Too many factors keeping me from racing more races (small and bigger) little kids, too cheap, busy at work. Good luck on Saturday. Have fun, this is our play nothing more. Not a single race is worth stressing over. You better come and report back. The bad thing about the garmin is it temps me to run flat courses so I can come back here and report a fast run x number of miles. This 205 is so big, maybe if I had the 405 I would use for marathon, but I'm too cheap to spend that much money. I don't see any professional runners with a big fat garmin in races.

Bugs

Yep kids can hurt being able to travel and run lots of marathons. If I didn't have kids I'd probably be off running lots of 50 milers and already done a 100 miler. Anyway dh is home sick so I'm taking care of him. I had to play the "mom" card on him. I told him if he was running a fever of over 101 he was NOT going to work. It was 102.4 and doesn't look like it will be breaking anytime soon. Hopefully I don't get any sicker cause I have somewhere to be tomorrow morning and it involves running and hills.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson