Connecticut Runners

2016 Racing Thread (Read 14 times)

Nice job guys in some unfriendly conditions. Did they at least keep the big hill after the train station? That's half the fun of Danbury.

No word yet on Middletown reschedule.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
    beat

Break on through

Yes - they kept that hill in.  For me, the hills through miles 9 to 11 are the signature of the race.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Well it was a beautiful day for a race, but I pretty much uglied it up. Haven't laid an egg like that in quite some time.

Middletown Half - really tough course, and the hills just never stop coming - well, I guess they stop after mile 10. I caved after a beating on hills at mile 7, 8 and 9. Was rolling okay (just over 6 min pace), then those hit, the both calves went, my back went, everything went. Not very pretty. Full sun and no shade didn't help (and I'm wicked sunburned today).

I will say that HMF puts on a good race. Very well organized and professional.

But, will shake it off and run again at Delany Dash (yeah for short races!) next month.

MTA: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/919f8c06a395438cb070ceb033425790/courses/51e79cd9242a48e5b985be14e9bca91e

Course map with elevation profile. In case anyone wants to torture themselves next year...

beat

Break on through

Redding Road Race last week was cold and rainy.  I was 3 miles into the half-marathon when I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up to my goal pace, but I ran hard the whole way.  I ended up 7 minutes slower than goal but 2 minutes faster than the same race last year. It was a festive atmosphere despite the rain, and they had lots of food including pizza and chocolate milk under the giant tent.  Bill Rodgers was there, signing autographs and appearing for photos.  This race sells out quickly, so if you want to run it, you need to sign up as soon as registration opens.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Delaney Dash - if you're looking for a flat course you can't do much better than this one. Half of it on a causeway over the sound. It was a little warm yesterday but not devastating (but definitely too warm for the post race pizza to be appetizing at 9:30 in the morning! Get there early if you don't want to have to take shuttle bus to start from remote lot. Horrendous race shirt. Didn't stick around for awards so no idea on that.

as for my race, ran really well. Used one of the states best masters runners as my personal pacer - he nailed it, such a smart experienced runner. We passed a lot of people who took that first mile into the wind a bit too fast.

22:08 for me.

delicate flower

as for my race, ran really well. Used one of the states best masters runners as my personal pacer - he nailed it, such a smart experienced runner. We passed a lot of people who took that first mile into the wind a bit too fast.

22:08 for me.

Nice!  Great job, Kevin.

<3

2nd race of a little 3 weekend race spurt here. Did Moonlight 5K in New Milford on Friday night. Race has been taken over by Fasttrack Timing since the old director passed on a few years ago. They do a decent job with it. It's a super fast course. Only thing I miss is the luminaries they used to have that would line the final quarter mile. Those are gone now. Fire hazard? I don't know, but they were cool.

Anyway, Friday night was a little sticky / gross for racing. And it definitely slowed things down a little. 17:06 for me, 6th OA and 2nd old, but had fun, and got in a nice cooldown with some regular racers I see on the circuit all the time.

A good Friday night workout with decent logistics if you're looking for a fast summer race that doesn't interfere with your weekend.

Oh yeah, and they kept advertising the $750 bonus for breaking the course record...I mean, they could have said $7500 and it wouldn't matter. Record is 13:36 set by Olympic finalist and World Champs bronze medalist Kenyan. Of course, he was a sub 13 guy in his prime, and this record was when he was just farting around at 35. Yeesh.

delicate flower

Oh yeah, and they kept advertising the $750 bonus for breaking the course record...I mean, they could have said $7500 and it wouldn't matter. Record is 13:36 set by Olympic finalist and World Champs bronze medalist Kenyan. Of course, he was a sub 13 guy in his prime, and this record was when he was just farting around at 35. Yeesh.

HA, who the hell in Connecticut right now is going to run a 13: xx?

Edit:  Or the USA for that matter?

<3

Yeah, the list is short (but it does include 1 CT guy - Donn Cabral). I think we would have noticed if one of them was in the crowd.

http://www.usatf.org/statistics/topMarks/2016/Outdoor-Men.aspx

All I can tell you is that if you're ever hankering to just go out and rip a mile PR (asterisk or not due to its extreme downhilliness) - go race the Spring Street Mile in Manchester. That is some fast fun.

delicate flower

All I can tell you is that if you're ever hankering to just go out and rip a mile PR (asterisk or not due to its extreme downhilliness) - go race the Spring Street Mile in Manchester. That is some fast fun.

The temptation is strong.  Maybe next year.  Hell of a race, Kevin.

<3

beat

Break on through

Nice races, Kevin!  And welcome to the 40's Age Group!  Time marches on, so I'm leaving the 40's this fall...

beat

Break on through

Mount Washington Road Race - when you're climbing up a steep hill for 7.6 miles, you really have to just run your own race.  I pretty much ignored the pace on my watch and just went by feel, whatever I could sustain.  This was my second try.  In 2012, I ran 1:28.  This year, I ran 1:32.  The weather was as perfect as you can expect for the mountain, if a bit warm.  On road hill climbs, I try to always keep a running stride, regardless of how slow.  But this time, I had to walk a couple of times on the upper half.

Some of the amazing results from this race were Joseph Gray winning it in 58:15 and George Etzweiler finishing it in 3:23:15 at 96 years of age!

Mount Washington Road Race - when you're climbing up a steep hill for 7.6 miles, you really have to just run your own race.  I pretty much ignored the pace on my watch and just went by feel, whatever I could sustain.  This was my second try.  In 2012, I ran 1:28.  This year, I ran 1:32.  The weather was as perfect as you can expect for the mountain, if a bit warm.  On road hill climbs, I try to always keep a running stride, regardless of how slow.  But this time, I had to walk a couple of times on the upper half.

Some of the amazing results from this race were Joseph Gray winning it in 58:15 and George Etzweiler finishing it in 3:23:15 at 96 years of age!

Nice run, Chris. The thought of that race, that unrelenting uphill with no break at all...just the thought of that is very intimidating to me. I mean, the views and the history and the challenge are appealing somewhat, but 90 minutes of hill...ouch. Good work.

Old Wethersfield is a fun race - would be good if they did a slightly better job separating the 5 and 10 k finishes - it's a bit of an obstacle course at the end. Still, that is one super flat course... If it's ever not hot/humid in late August- look out