Connecticut Runners

Two 5Ks for Sandy Hook (Read 171 times)

jerkasaurus

DYEL?

Hello Connecticut people,

I just spotted this on Facebook and thought I'd pass it along:

Our hearts continue to break for our neighbors in Newton and their family and friends worldwide who lost so much last Friday. While nothing we can do will stop the pain, we can soften it by honoring those beautiful children and their teachers by spreading good and keeping their memories alive. The kindness and love we share with each other and strangers will spread like wildfire. Not only will it help make the world a better place once again, but also strengthen those whose sadness and loss is overwhelming.

While there have been many beautiful tributes and fundraisers, it warms my heart to see our running community coming together and using the sport we love to help those in Sandy Hook. Below is information about two 5k events that are being planned - I hope you'll join us in being a part of them.

The first annual Strides for Sandy Hook 5k will be on Saturday, January 19. It's goal is to raise funds for a memorial and to show love and support to the community of Newton. Details are still being worked out, but the race will be put on in conjunction with the Newton Parks & Recreation Department. To learn more or donate, click here.

Also, another local group is planning a 5k Run for the Children of Sandy Hook. The Hartford Marathon Foundation has graciously volunteered to donate their services to organize this event. Click here to join their Facebook page and get all the details as they become available.

themayonegg.com | baseball staches | fitocracy: @Hodorific

delicate flower

Sign me up.

<3

Nice. 99% chance I'll meet you on Jan 19 then (though i have the feeling it'll be a pretty crowded race)

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        AlexaCT

I will be there, for sure!

I can and I will!

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Going to try and hit 1 if not both.

Just found out that 2 of the boys were Tiger Scouts (I am a den leader and the commitee chairman for our Pack), that really hit hard for some reason.

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

AlexaCT

As a mom of 2 small kids, a teacher, and a Fairfield county resident, this has impacted me so deeply. 

I wish I could do more than just mourn for those babies and teachers, so this is perfect.  I hope they allow teams as I will look to raise as much money as I possibly can.

I can and I will!

And by the way, if the race is in Newtown - hope you like hills!

Thinking about it more...I kind of hope they have it somewhere else (though i'll still probably run it wherever it is). All my SIL wants right now is for everyone to get the f out of her town and the circus be over. A race like this will inevitably draw a huge crowd (and cameras - NBC6 eats these kinds of races up for weekend coverage), and maybe Jan 19 is too soon...something to think about anyway.

MTA: not sure why this bothers me so much, but I can't count the number of times I hear/read "Newton" and "Sandy Hill".

AlexaCT

MTA: not sure why this bothers me so much, but I can't count the number of times I hear/read "Newton" and "Sandy Hill".

It drives me freaking bananas.

While I understand that this is obviously a huge "story", the media needs to leave Newtown and let them have some peace.  Shoving their microphones in those kids' faces?  I want to smack the shit out of them!

There was this "memorial photo" floating around Facebook that said, "Prayers for Newton"  I seriously wanted to scream at them.

I can and I will!

delicate flower

A race like this will inevitably draw a huge crowd (and cameras - NBC6 eats these kinds of races up for weekend coverage), and maybe Jan 19 is too soon...something to think about anyway.

If early indications are a huge field, I may decide to pass.  While the cause is obviously dear to us all, this is still a race and jockeying with 10,000 other runners in a 5K could be tough.

DW and I sent teddy bears this morning.  Apparently 20,000 bears have already been sent.  Yowsers.   

<3

jerkasaurus

DYEL?

It drives me freaking bananas.

While I understand that this is obviously a huge "story", the media needs to leave Newtown and let them have some peace.  Shoving their microphones in those kids' faces?  I want to smack the shit out of them!

There was this "memorial photo" floating around Facebook that said, "Prayers for Newton"  I seriously wanted to scream at them.

My colleague at work lives in Newtown and was telling me about helicopters overhead at 3AM.  WTF?

I agree the race is too soon.  I would like to dust off my old racing shoes and participate, but I need more time to prepare.  Maybe the Hartford Marathon Group's race will have better timing.

themayonegg.com | baseball staches | fitocracy: @Hodorific

Well, spoke with my SIL, and she wants me to run it, so run it I will. 

(4,300 people on the FB page, so far - including Amby Burfoot)...

delicate flower

Hartford Marathon Foundation has the Newtown 5K race listed as Saturday, March 23.  That's the same day as the Savin Rock HM, which is my goal HM this spring.  So it looks like I am out for the Newtown race. 

<3

Jan 19 run is officially unofficial now. They couldn't pull it off in time with the resources they needed. Too bad, but kind of saw that coming.

AlexaCT

Same sentiments here.  Once registration wasn't open by Dec 30, I figured it was a goner.  Too bad, but I understand.

I can and I will!

Run Like a Mother

I just heard the news this morning that the March 23 Sandy Hook 5k has been moved to downtown Hartford because of the number of participants, originally supposed to be run in Danbury.

Linda