Connecticut Runners

Stratton Faxon Greater Danbury 5K (non performance related race report/review) (Read 7 times)

Stratton Faxon Greater Danbury 5k, Danbury, April

2013 was the ninth year for this event, which is usually pretty well organized (exception was traffic management on the 5k course this year, but more due to idiots driving than the organizers I think)

Course: USATF certified, fast and relatively flat double loop. Starts on Lions Way in Rogers Park, right up Memorial, right on South, right on Coal Pit Hill Road, quick right/left onto Rocky Glen, back onto Coalpit Hill, right on Overlook, up Memorial, do it again.

All the elevation change is slight, except the chute down Overlook. Other than that, you really don’t feel the uphill as it’s very gradual.

There are mile marks, and in years past there have been volunteers calling splits, though this year they just seemed to be teenage girls texting each other. Wear a watch if you want splits.

Traffic management was an issue this year, at least for the front pack. A couple of cars trying to escape being stuck in Rogers Park ended up going up the wrong way on Overlook, forcing us to the side of the road and really screwing up the chase car. And one lady pulled out of her driveway right in front of us. Brutal. Generally this a safe and well marshaled course, and the Danbury PD does a good job.

Announcers at the finish which is in front of the War Memorial under an arch with an easy to see clock, even from far away. Timer chip in bib.

Cost: Pre-Reg ($25 + 2.50fee). Day of: $30

Competition / Crowd: A little over 330 runners, so medium sized (the big draw is the half marathon with 1500+). Can be pretty competitive,  10 under 20mins, mens winner 16:52, womens winner 19:38.

Venue: This is fundraiser for the Danbury War Memorial. Registration is inside. Awards were inside. You can hang out in there as long as you want before hand, get changed, etc. Plenty of bathrooms, water fountains. There is a shower facility if you need that afterwards too.

Results: Timed by Super Race Systems, and results up on the JPsports website within the day. Results posted on wall within minutes of the finish.

Swag: Decent technical shirt, $5 coupon to Woodbridge Run Co.

Prizes: Winged shoe trophies for overall winner, and age group 3 deep.

Post-race: Indoors, band, tons of food (pizza, donuts, cookies, fruit)  massage available

Bottom line: A fast and well organized 5K with good support and good post race stuff. Can be windy in April. Hint: park in the abandoned grocery store parking lot on main street just before it hits South on the left hand side. Easy in/out.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

Kevin, was this part of the Danbury half marathon event?  DW and I were on 84W headed to NY around 8:00 Sunday morning and it didn't escape my mind that it was race day!

<3

Kevin, was this part of the Danbury half marathon event?  DW and I were on 84W headed to NY around 8:00 Sunday morning and it didn't escape my mind that it was race day!

Yep, same race. I've run both. That half is a bear though with a killer hill from mile 9 to 10. The half is where the REAL action is...winner ran 1:05 something. Yikes.

delicate flower

Yep, same race. I've run both. That half is a bear though with a killer hill from mile 9 to 10. The half is where the REAL action is...winner ran 1:05 something. Yikes.

I'm pretty new to the CT race scene but it seems to me like the Stratton Faxon events draw some fast fields.  I look forward to one day getting my ass kicked in some of those events.

<3

Yeah, they tend to put up a little cash, which always makes things faster. That, and the half was a USATFCT event and championship, so all the clubs show up too.