Connecticut Runners

Racing This Weekend? This Month? Near Future? (Read 240 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Who has an upcoming race they're looking forward to, or training for?  Fill us in! 

As for me, the next one will be the Christopher Martin's 5K next Sunday.  Just need to complete the race to get in 6 for my club's grand prix series, and earn my sweatshirt, but I'm hoping to get back under 29 minutes for the first time in several months. 

delicate flower

I've got the Blue Back Square Mitten Run this Sunday.  I am really hoping to set a new PR (22:20).  I ran five miles at a faster pace a month ago and I have since done a bunch of speedwork, so I like my chances.  I've been unable to break my 5K PR in four prior chances this year. 

Other than that, I'll continue to work on the speed over the winter leading up to the Colchester and Savin Rock HM's early next year. 

<3

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

I will be doing hopefully the resolution run in Colchester and then the Colchester Half (not racing just running.  I think I want to try the 10penny duathalon

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

delicate flower

Brady, both me and DW have the Ten Penny Duathlon on the radar!  I ran the 5K last year (first AG win!) but was jealous of the folks who did the full duathlon. 

I'm anxiously awaiting the Hartford Marathon Foundation 2013 schedule..... 

<3

I've got the Blue Back Square Mitten Run this Sunday.  I am really hoping to set a new PR (22:20). 

Hey man - looks like you smashed it. Nice work!

Was it a good race?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

Thanks, Kevin!  21:23 official time.  I'm happy but I want to be faster.

Definitely a good race.  A record 2300 runners, so the start was a packed.  I'm glad I started up near the front just a few rows back.  HMF runs a pretty smooth operation.   

<3

bojangles

Thanks, Kevin!  21:23 official time.  I'm happy but I want to be faster.

Definitely a good race.  A record 2300 runners, so the start was a packed.  I'm glad I started up near the front just a few rows back.  HMF runs a pretty smooth operation.   

Damn, I never ran a race with that many runners but I feel your pain when it comes to people always packing up at the start line. First couple 5ks I did I was like that. Now, my buddy and I start all the way in the back. I mean, we are the last two people to cross that start line. Then it gets fun, weaving in and out of other runners. Making it a good time. The best part is most races now have gun time and actual time. So you still get a legit run time, minus the extra 100 meters you rack up while dodging and weaving.

I'm happy but I want to be faster.

Don't we all...

Damn, I never ran a race with that many runners but I feel your pain when it comes to people always packing up at the start line. First couple 5ks I did I was like that. Now, my buddy and I start all the way in the back. I mean, we are the last two people to cross that start line. Then it gets fun, weaving in and out of other runners. Making it a good time. The best part is most races now have gun time and actual time. So you still get a legit run time, minus the extra 100 meters you rack up while dodging and weaving.

Interesting tactic. My last race (pic below - that's me to Santa's right, looking uber dorky with high socks), there was a little kid (9?) just behind the line. After a few striders in front of the line, I took my place - basically standing right in front of him. He gives out a "hey!!!!" in protest. I looked back at him, just said "sorry, kid". Fortunately, his mom took my side, and told him he shouldn't be up there in the first place.

rsr

bojangles

Hahaha that is pretty funny. During one 5k (a very hungover 5k, like most) about 2 miles in I got passed by a kid. He had to be about 10 years old. He was wearing basketball sneakers and he just went trotting by me. Now I may not be the fastest runner, but on average I finish most of the 5ks around 21 minutes. So I gave that little man respect. And because of him I started to respect all of the kids out there. Don't worry, I still sprinted passed him  at the finish.

As for me, the next one will be the Christopher Martin's 5K next Sunday.  Just need to complete the race to get in 6 for my club's grand prix series, and earn my sweatshirt, but I'm hoping to get back under 29 minutes for the first time in several months. 

Nice work on your race. Gotta feel pretty good.

How would you rate the race itself? Looks flat enough, maybe not the most scenic parts of NH (I guess you skirt the green there for a little piece). And where do you park? Looks like it ends near Modern...do they chip in any pies? I do miss that city a little...(just a little though).

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Nice work on your race. Gotta feel pretty good.

How would you rate the race itself? Looks flat enough, maybe not the most scenic parts of NH (I guess you skirt the green there for a little piece). And where do you park? Looks like it ends near Modern...do they chip in any pies? I do miss that city a little...(just a little though).

Thanks Kevin. Yeah, it was encouraging to see that. (To update everyone, I ran 27:10 for the race, well below what I expected to be able to do based on my past few 5ks.  Apparently actually running and training gets you back in shape a lot better than I expected it to do.)

The race is well organized, and started just about right on time, even with the speech from the mayor before the start.  This year they even had a fast runners' corral up front, and called people up to it based on expected finish time, starting from 16 minutes and going up to 20, so the fast guys & gals wouldn't have to weave around the kids and multitudes of Santa Clauses.  It is a VERY flat course - the biggest hill is a bridge over the sunken railroad tracks.  It does have 8 turns, so corner running is critical if you're going to be in contention for an award. 

The course starts at Christopher Martin's, and has long stretches along State, Orange, Church, and then State again before finishing back at the start.  No Modern pies, but plenty of free New England Brewing Company beer, and a crazy post-race party inside the pub after the race (the kind of crazy that plenty of free beer will induce). 

Parking is wherever you can find it on the streets nearby, or behind one of the many businesses in the area that are not open on a Sunday morning.  I chose the Allstate a quarter mile from the start. 

but plenty of free New England Brewing Company beer,

Cool. I met those guys and did a couple of projects for them while I was in b-school.

MTA: and I will say this about those bigger New Haven races (Shamrock and Chris martins)...they are FAST!

28 runners under 18 mins. Damn. I need to make one of those next year.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Yeah, they're always well-packed, and have blistering paces.  As are the USATF Grand Prix races - any time you get the local clubs competing against each other, a lot of the really fast folks are going to be there.  I know in those I've got no chance for hardware Smile

delicate flower

I am now registered for:

Colchester Half Marathon

Savin Rock Half Marathon

Greater Hartford Quarter Marathon

Gotta love signing up for two HM's and a quarter marathon for a total of $90.

<3