Connecticut Runners

2016 Racing Thread (Read 14 times)

DigDug2

Kevin, nice win at the Newtown 5K over the weekend!

I had a good race at the concluding 10 mile race of the Westport Summer Series.  I highly recommend this series for folks in SW Connecticut - low key, cheap ($10/race or cheaper for the whole series), well organized and friendly.  Series starts at ~2 miles the first Saturday in July and gets progressively longer every week - some hot Saturdays in there this summer (which I generally skipped), but great to have an easy weekly racing option.

Kevin, nice win at the Newtown 5K over the weekend!

I had a good race at the concluding 10 mile race of the Westport Summer Series.  I highly recommend this series for folks in SW Connecticut - low key, cheap ($10/race or cheaper for the whole series), well organized and friendly.  Series starts at ~2 miles the first Saturday in July and gets progressively longer every week - some hot Saturdays in there this summer (which I generally skipped), but great to have an easy weekly racing option.

Alas, I didn't run this year...maybe you were reading my last years' race report? Weather was awesome Saturday - wish I had the time to have gotten out there...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      DigDug2

Ah, I'm an idiot - saw that the race was this weekend, went to the website and checked the results and didn't notice that they were a year old...

Anyway, best of luck on any autumn racing plans...

CT grand prix XC circuit kicks off this weekend...kind of a weird lineup, in that we have this race in Sept, then nothing all October, then 3 races in November. Oh well. First race at CCSU (I think Baboon's old stomping grounds). Can't wait to get at it.

delicate flower

CT grand prix XC circuit kicks off this weekend...kind of a weird lineup, in that we have this race in Sept, then nothing all October, then 3 races in November. Oh well. First race at CCSU (I think Baboon's old stomping grounds). Can't wait to get at it.

Indeed.  Good luck!  And speaking of which, when I was in 10th grade the high school PE teacher/track coach tried recruiting me to join the team.  I had zero interest.  Wish I could have a do-over with that decision.

<3

Indeed.  Good luck!  And speaking of which, when I was in 10th grade the high school PE teacher/track coach tried recruiting me to join the team.  I had zero interest.  Wish I could have a do-over with that decision.

Just as a follow up - it was a well run affair, and kudos to the CCSU kids who were out on the course super early with rakes and leaf blowers and taping off the course with rope and flags and directing and in general being good representatives of their school/program.

Also, they had just finished a week or so ago completely grooming the woods loop, which apparently meant ripping out 50+ years of root growth and rocks. What was left was a smooth fast beautiful trek through the woods. Pretty cool. I guess it was known as an ankle breaker before this and times were notoriously slow through those woods.

beat

Break on through

It was a great day for racing yesterday at the Kent Pumpkin Run (5 Miles).  70 degrees! and the rain held off until a couple hours after the race.  The first 3 miles are rolling up and down, then the last 2 miles are just down, then flat to the finish.  It was fun to see all the costumed runners - plus I got an AG win for my first race at age 50!  (14th overall).  (And the pumpkin soup at the finish...)

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

It was a great day for racing yesterday at the Kent Pumpkin Run (5 Miles).  70 degrees! and the rain held off until a couple hours after the race.  The first 3 miles are rolling up and down, then the last 2 miles are just down, then flat to the finish.  It was fun to see all the costumed runners - plus I got an AG win for my first race at age 50!  (14th overall).  (And the pumpkin soup at the finish...)

I was sad to have missed it this year! (wonky shin/ankle/calf). It is one of my favorite races by far. Nice job on the AG win!

beat

Break on through

Thanks!  Recover well - those lower leg issues can be tricky!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

DigDug2

Kevin, if you're looking for another mile race this winter, I highly recommend the NYRR Night at the Race series at the Armory.  Final night is March 2 and the mile is on the schedule - the track is very fast compared to New Haven, the competition is really deep, the atmosphere is great and they're very well organized.

Kevin, if you're looking for another mile race this winter, I highly recommend the NYRR Night at the Race series at the Armory.  Final night is March 2 and the mile is on the schedule - the track is very fast compared to New Haven, the competition is really deep, the atmosphere is great and they're very well organized.

Looks awesome, and would love to race there. Don't think I can swing the Thursday night in NYC though. Especially since I'm taking Sunday morning to race in New Haven that week (too much away time from family for this already selfish pursuit).