Connecticut Runners

Racing This Weekend? Who has what ? Share 'em if you got 'em ! (Read 12 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I'll be at the Sprint For Monroe 5K, trying to get back into some speed races.  NTown Kevin, I'll be looking for you there!

Sweet!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

Good luck, guys.  I am in marathon recovery mode.  No race until 6/14.

<3

Good luck, guys.  I am in marathon recovery mode.  No race until 6/14.

Nice. Recover well. Ill be racing again that weekend too, in Ntown itself.

Well shit. Just got email saying they will cap the race at 1000 and they have record pre-reg. Not that I believe 1,000 people would ever show up to run Sprint for Monroe (they usually have 500 or so). Oh well, guess I'll have to get there early.

Shows what I know. 996 runners announced. Good thing I got there early. As usual, I really good race with decent food, and (though I couldn't stick around) good awards and raffle prizes.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Yeah I was shocked to hear about that cap possibility too - made me get up an extra hour early.

I missed the grand prize of the mountain bike by ONE number.  Damn.  Shouldn't have let that lady go ahead of me, I guess Smile.

Got my goal this time, thanks Kevin for the shout at the end.  It helped me focus on that clock and get in just under that 27 minute mark.

Coming up this weekend, I'll be at the Race For The Cure in Hartford, running with my kid, and a friend and her daughter.

Actually I get her daughter, and she gets my son.  Her daughter's too fast for her, and my son is closer to her speed.  Looking forward to this one.  Sunday I may head to the Gerogetown Gallop 5K in Wilton, and see if I can't put in a little more speed practice, and check another town off and move up on the Club 169 list.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

All my racers turned in great times this weekend - my son and friend Sue ran the first 1/2 mile without stopping, then did run/walk the rest of the way, coming in at 42:32 and 42:47, respectively - almost 2 minutes faster than last year's race.  Sue's daughter Alexis ran the whole first mile, in 9:40, and finished in 39:03 - also more than 2 minutes better than last year!

I decided Sunday to head up and run the Lime Rock Park 5K (there was a half marathon, too).  It sounded like a fun and unique race, and it would allow me to check Salisbury off my towns list.  The course is two laps around the track (plus a little), finishing at the race car timing station, under a checkered flag.  I figured it would be a lot of turns, and I should have figured it would be hot and shadeless (which it was).  I did not expect it to have a giant hill in the middle of the lap, but there was.

Turns out there was a VERY small contingent of 5K racers, and I ended up coming in first in my age group, for the first time ever for me. I finished in 25:31, by no means a killer time, but sometimes all it takes is (cherry)picking the right race and showing up, right ?. I won a cool pint glass with the race logo on it, and promptly brought it home and used it for its intended purpose.

That's awesome - running on the track, a solid time, and AG glassware. Nicely done. Wouldn't have figured on a hill on the track either - weird.

I've got Newtown Rooster Run this Saturday...on the roads / paths I run almost every weekend - can't wait.

Update...Rooster Run in Newtown was a solid event. I was pretty sick, but ran it anyway (that'll teach me to pre-register!). Course isn't "easy" (1 big hill), but a good challenge, and very easy logistically - plenty of parking, quick awards, enough food. Seems like 80% of the runners are from Newtown, but interlopers welcome!

Considering bailing on an evening meeting tomorrow and running Ansonia YMCA...will depend on weather outlook to some extent.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

It's a good well-organized race, residential roads course, pretty much one giant loop through the neighborhoods. I remember a couple of steep short downhills (one within the first half mile) and gradual climbs to get the elevation back. I don't recall any tough hills.

And the buffet after is damn good - well worth the entrance fee.

It's a good well-organized race, residential roads course, pretty much one giant loop through the neighborhoods. I remember a couple of steep short downhills (one within the first half mile) and gradual climbs to get the elevation back. I don't recall any tough hills.

And the buffet after is damn good - well worth the entrance fee.

Nice, thanks Mike. It looks like it'll be hotter than two rats in a wool sock - but they've taken away t-storm forecast for now, so...

Ansonia was fun. HOT and HUMID...but fun. Nice food afterwards too. It's a deceivingly challenging course, with gradual hills at all the wrong places. Good stuff though.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Unlike most CT runners this weekend, I'll be at the Harwinton 5K Sunday morning - looking to check off another town on my list.

That'll bring me up to 38 total so far.  Any chance I'll see any of you there ?

I've started the Fairfield Half 3 times, and each time the heat and the hills have destroyed me before I could finish.  I've vowed now not to try it again.

Hip Redux

Unlike most CT runners this weekend, I'll be at the Harwinton 5K Sunday morning - looking to check off another town on my list.

That'll bring me up to 38 total so far.  Any chance I'll see any of you there ?

I've started the Fairfield Half 3 times, and each time the heat and the hills have destroyed me before I could finish.  I've vowed now not to try it again.

I'm not even sure I know where Harwinton is. lol

Good luck though!