Connecticut Runners

New Haven 20K - who's in ? (Read 9 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I'll be there, and I'm guessing some of you will be also.  Here's hoping for another great day (well, That probably jinxed it!).

Goal race, or using it as a training run for something bigger, or just coming out for the fun of it ? Discuss, please.

Not me, I'm running Lehigh Valley the next week. I hear you on bottling up this weather though - damn.

NH is a great race though. Enjoy.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

I'd love to but my race schedule is too tight.

Gulf Beach HM on 9/14 (goal race)

Hogsback HM on 9/28 (won't "race" this)

Hartford HM on 10/12 (will race this)

I just can't add a 20K on top of that, especially two weeks before my goal race.

<3

That's the one in Milford, yes? Nice and flat - good luck!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

That's the one in Milford, yes? Nice and flat - good luck!

Thanks, that's the one!  It's my deferral from Savin Rock.  I should be able to PR pretty comfortably, barring any physical or weather related problems.

<3

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I just can't add a 20K on top of that, especially two weeks before my goal race.

I'll see you there, I'm planning to run this one too.

The course runs along our club's weekly training course so I'm very familiar with it.

I'm just hoping the RD has reconsidered the on-the-sand finish they've done the past couple of years.

Both of these are supported training runs for me, for Marine Corp Marathon at the end of October

delicate flower

I'll see you there, I'm planning to run this one too.

The course runs along our club's weekly training course so I'm very familiar with it.

I'm just hoping the RD has reconsidered the on-the-sand finish they've done the past couple of years.

Both of these are supported training runs for me, for Marine Corp Marathon at the end of October

Cool!

I follow the Facebook group and the beach finish is still on.

<3

delicate flower

mgerwn, just out of curiosity, how windy is that Gulf Beach course?  Those shoreline runs can be quite windy.  Savin Rock in 2011 beat me up pretty good during that final three mile straightaway to the finish.

<3

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

It's really going to depend on that day.  It can be anywhere from a calm day to a decent wind.  Most all of the course is parallel to the water so it shouldn't kill you time-wise too much - much of the breeze will be coming at your side.

What I learned from Newport full regarding that, though, is to watch out for dehydration, especially if it's not a terribly hot day and there's a good breeze.  It'll keep you cool but also suck every bit of moisture from you.

The worst part on that course for wind will be on the boardwalk portion.  That's at the middle, as you come up to and then head back from the turnaround point.  You're open and exposed to the onshore wind most there, with nothing but marsh behind you.  Just about everywhere else there are houses between you and the beachfront that help to stop the wind, if there is any that day.

delicate flower

Cool, thanks for that info.  I am just trying to proactively make a list of excuses I can drop when I fail to hit my goals.  *dehydration added to list*

<3