Connecticut Runners

Death of the 10K - Southbury now a trail 5k... (Read 12 times)

"We are excited to announce a change to our Southbury’s 26th Annual Fall Classic Race. Due to popular demand, the race has evolved to a 5K Trail Run. We are expecting more runners than ever as trail racing is gaining in popularity."

The 10K road race is dead. Long live the 10K.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Looks like there might be some movement to bring this distance back again (not to Southbury, though)

The former Bridgeport Hospital Home Run 5k will now be the Barnum Festival Races, and will have both a 5K and a 10K option, on Memorial Day Weekend.

But then of course we've also had the sad news of the death of the New Haven 20k after next year.

yond

New Haven 20k is one week after Old wethersfield 10k, right?  Personally I will only run 10k, which is close to me.  Smile

Looks like there might be some movement to bring this distance back again (not to Southbury, though)

The former Bridgeport Hospital Home Run 5k will now be the Barnum Festival Races, and will have both a 5K and a 10K option, on Memorial Day Weekend.

But then of course we've also had the sad news of the death of the New Haven 20k after next year.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

New Haven 20k is one week after Old wethersfield 10k, right?  Personally I will only run 10k, which is close to me.  Smile

Looks like it, yeah.  Old Wethersfield is Sun 8/28 this year.

New Haven 20K is always on Labor Day morning.

delicate flower

Speaking of 10K deaths, HMF is adding a new 10K for 2016.  Having run in this area before, I know it won't be Old Wethersfield flat.

http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/Collinsville_Classic_10K.htm

Of course in true HMF style, you can use this 10K as part of a series to earn more bonus medals.

<3

yond

Baboon, thanks for your info.  I think you mean a new 10K.

I may not consider this since it is too close to Boston marathon, and my allergy is killing me starting from end of April.

Speaking of 10K deaths, HMF is adding a new 5K for 2016.  Having run in this area before, I know it won't be Old Wethersfield flat.

http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/Collinsville_Classic_10K.htm

Of course in true HMF style, you can use this 10K as part of a series to earn more bonus medals.

delicate flower

Baboon, thanks for your info.  I think you mean a new 10K.

I may not consider this since it is too close to Boston marathon, and my allergy is killing me starting from end of April.

WHOOPS!  That is what I meant to say.  Big grin

<3

I think that's very good news about the home run race. I have my doubts about how popular the 10k will be, but I think it's great they'll offer it.

as for the nhrr - I've resisted criticizing that decision anywhere online but RA, because this is a pretty closed forum (relatively). I'll just say the whole thing seems sad to me.

Ill be running both old Wethersfield and NHRR this year as they're both Grand Prix races and I joined a club this year (soundRunner).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I'll just say the whole thing seems sad to me.

I haven't found one regular (as in, frequent) racer who is happy about the decision.

All of my USATF club teammates think it's a bad idea, and we've told the guys in our club that are part of the board.

They haven't shared a lot about the why that went into the decision - I got the impression they didn't expect to hear as much backlash regarding it as they are.

yond

Good for you.  I think this is the most competitive running club in CT.  I am still in MRC, and I love it.

I joined a club this year (soundRunner).

beat

Break on through

What's this about?  I saw the reports about adding the half-marathon distance, but I haven't seen anything about the 20K distance being removed.  I would be disappointed if it was.  I love that race!  I have run it every year since 2005!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

It hasn't been decided officially, but the hubbub on the discussion among the board members was that the 20K will go away after the commitment to USATF is completed.  A couple of them are members in my running club.

beat

Break on through

Okay, that leaves some hope that they may change their minds. Anyway it will be interesting to see how the half-marathon distance is received this year.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."