Denver Area Runners

Dealing with an injury (Read 131 times)

Rim Rock Dad

Do you guys have any suggestions for Mama Pickle? If you didn't read her post under motivation, she's dealing with a sprained ankle with a 10 miler coming up in 3 weeks. MP, I had a sprain 2 weeks before a 10k coming down one of the trails in Apex Park. Now, I did the stupid thing by not going to my doctor. But, with taking it easy, I was able to set a PR at the race. Not only that, I threw my back out that morning. Hopefully, you won't have to do that to take your mind off of your ankle. Wink It sounds like you're keeping up with your cardio, so I don't think you'll have to worry about that. I think once you test that ankle, the only thing you'll have to worry about is the race conditions.
    James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart
      Well, MP, I second what James has said. It seems as though you are keeping your fitness level up by riding the bike and using the elliptical. I don't know that there is much more you can do without injuring yourself more. Pool running (if you have access) can help maintain your fitness level. I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to run, but sometimes the added rest due to injury is actually a benefit! Run again when your ankle lets you and enjoy the freshness in your legs you are sure to feel. Come race day, relax, let your body tell you what you are capable of. Don't push or overdo it if you think you might re-injure yourself. There is always more races! If you don't think you can't run, think about volunteering that day and enjoy the race that way. Running dad, is your back feeling ok after that slip on Sunday? I'm actually pretty sore. Black eye Happy trails to all, Dave
      Dave
      "Run like hell and get the agony over with."
      --- Clarence DeMar

Rim Rock Dad

Actually, I took what you said to heart and indulged in a little vitamin "I". Sure helped out to actually stretch the back out a little, also. I think I felt it more in the ligaments around one of my knees that night more than anywhere else. If anyone has ambition to run at Matthew/Winters, be patient. Dave and I encountered ALOT of ice that was chewed up by the mountain bikers and refroze to a nice glossy finish. I'm going to wait until at least late March/early April before going out to there again.
        sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Two recomendations YakTrax and Arnica. Yak Trax to prevent the fall and Arnica for when you forget your Yak Trax. The Arnica pills are the best but the cream works too for sore muscles. I used it last year after a long training day and it worked wonders. I also gave it to a friend of mine a couple weeks ago after she bruised her knee skiing. The next day it was better. You can get it at Whole Foods or Wild Oats. I like Yak Trax better than putting screws in your shoes for ice and snow.
          If you're bored ask why you're boring
          Wicked Pickle

Mama Pickle

I have been taking Arnica and it is good stuff. I think it has helped out with quite a bit of the bruising. Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I am heading off to the Dr. again tomorrow just to make sure nothing is serious. As the swelling has gone down, I have been experiencing a lot of tenderness and the tendon across the ankle burns at times. I figure it is better to have it checked than second guess. Running Dad....didn't know you had taken a little tumble. Hope all is well. You still planning on doing the 7 miler with RMRR's on Sunday?
            "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Rim Rock Dad

You betcha. Dave will be there, too. If you come out you'll get a chance to meet him. Let us know how it goes with the doc. If you need anything, just call. I'm sure we can hook you up with some Johnny's pizza or BWW. Yes