Drinkers with a Running Problem

Pumpkin Beer Recipe (Read 635 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How does the kitchen smell?

Much of the lost weight from cooking is just water, so no flavor or sugar should have been lost?

Prince of Fatness

You could smell it, once it got going.  That, and boiling some extract for the yeast starter.

I am not concerned by the shrinkage.  Honestly, most of the flavor in these pumpkin beers comes from the spices, so a little less squash will not make much of a difference.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Did you taste the squash?

Prince of Fatness

Fuck no.  I don't like squash.  Mrs Finn was picking on it.  And, the son in law tried it.  i think that he will like the beer more than the squash.

It definitely caramelized a bit though, you could see it.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I am thinking that tomorrow I will chop it up, into cubes.  Small enough to get some flavor out of it but big enough to not get a stuck sparge.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would mash it up and just stir the sparge.  If cooked enough, it may just fully liquefy.  If cooked inadequately, it is unlikely to contribute much.  I would smash it in my hands!

Prince of Fatness

It is pretty gooey.  We scooped it out of the skin last night while it was still warm.  I'll at least try to break it up and see what happens.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

By the way I took before and after pictures of the roast, and will try to remember to get a shot of the mash.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Whoa.  Slow ass sparge.  But it went well.  And wow, a small bit of spices go a long way.  Wow.  Pictures to follow.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can you post smellovision too?

Prince of Fatness

Pictures...

Here is the squash, cut up and ready to roast..

Roasted and peeled..

I followed Trent's advice and mashed it up the next morning..

I had to show a pic of my Barley Crusher. That's the SIL crushing the grains..

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nice! More pics?

SIL?  Sister in law?  With a beard?  Weird.

Prince of Fatness

One more, showing the squash in the mash....

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Son in law, but you know that.  Those are all of the pics I have.  I forgot to get pics of the spices.

As I said, sparging was extremely slow, but it never stuck.  It took at least an hour to sparge.  Normally it is a half hour or less.  I also forgot to get a gravity reading before pitching the yeast.  Oh well.

I ended up using 4 whole cloves.  They were tiny.  I used one nutmeg.  For the nutmeg we put it in a baggie and gave it a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet.  One cinnamon stick, broke in half.  And a half a cup of molasses.

The earliest that this will be consumed will be October, so the spices will have time to mellow.  But wow, what an aroma.  Wow.

I am going to brew a holiday beer similar to this, taking out the molasses and adding ginger root.  I'll get a taste of this beer first so I can tweak the spices if need be.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can grab a gravity now.  What was your final volume?