Drinkers with a Running Problem

Pumpkin Beer Recipe (Read 625 times)

Prince of Fatness

I'm not going to worry about the gravity reading.  Generally I come close to what the recipe calculates, and I use 70% efficiency.  I'll take a reading when I rack it to the carboy just to see how far along it is.

I usually shoot for 5 1/4 gallons, and we got a little more this time.  I didn't notice that the flame was not on as high. 

I will let you know what it tastes like in a couple of weeks when I rack it to secondary.

Semi-retired.

A Dance with Monkeys

I never worry about the gravity.  But I am always curious.

Prince of Fatness

I never worry about the gravity.  But I am always curious.

Yeah, I'm curious, but not enough to bother taking the lid off, etc.  Plus, it's already chugging along at over a bubble a second. 

Semi-retired.

Prince of Fatness

Update.

22 days in the bucket today, so I racked it over to the carboy.  Filled that sucker to the top and had to pour out a couple of glasses.  Oh well, it ain't my beer.

Took a gravity reading ... 1.010.  Looks like it is mostly fermented out.

Aroma.  Damn, when I opened the bucket you could definitely smell the spices.  Not as much as brew day, but still.

Taste.  It definitely tasted like a pumpkin beer.   I had my kid sample, he said the same.  I definitely did not over spice.  A couple months in the carboy and it will be fine.  As for the squash,  I am not sure how much that came into play with the flavor.  Maybe a little.

I think that this will be a decent beer.  If I had to do it again I may up the spices just a tad, but I have no complaints. 

Semi-retired.

Prince of Fatness

We bottled over the weekend.  The spices mellowed quite a bit, but they are there.  I would use more next time.  It definitely tastes like a pumpkin beer.  I am not sure how much of a squash taste there is ... seems like some is there.

Anyway, the son in law is pleased to have a couple of cases of it.  He's going to wait until September at the earliest to have some.

Semi-retired.

Prince of Fatness

I finally got around to having one of these over the weekend.  I really didn't get much of a taste from the squash, although my son in law said that he could taste it.  I think that we spiced it pretty well.  The spices mellowed quite a bit with aging but are definitely there.  All in all I would say that this one turned out pretty well.  The son in law wants to brew this one again next year.

Semi-retired.