Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Former runner

MTA:  Another benefit of this method is that it has more capacity for doing heavier beers.

I bought a 5 gal cooler used for $5 and now have one for small batches and another for big batches.

I need to brew again real soon. I harvested my hop vines a couple weeks ago and now have over 6 ounces of cascade ready to use.

Hops in bucket

Hop sizes

Ross

Prince of Fatness

I bought a 5 gal cooler used for $5 and now have one for small batches and another for big batches.

I need to brew again real soon. I harvested my hop vines a couple weeks ago and now have over 6 ounces of cascade ready to use.

Those hops look nice.  Since you are growing hops, this might interest you.

I've caught the bug.  Since my first batch in March I've brewed 5 more and will be brewing another batch on Labor Day weekend.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I could never get hops to grow well.

Former runner

I was surprised how well the hops grew. I was told they were an invasive species so I decided to plant them in pots. They guy that gave me the rhizomes said he had to use a backhoe to remove them from his garden after the root systems got out of control. I picked up some 20" pots and potting soil in May. I made a make shift trellis system that worked for the most part but will need some improvements next year. The only down side to using the pots was making sure they were well watered every day.

Ross

Prince of Fatness

Hmmm.  I figured that I would never bother with this but hell, i have pots and can rig a trellis.  My LHBS sells rhizomes.  How much do you get out of one pot?  I'd be looking for enough for a couple batches, not much.  I suppose you freeze them to preserve them?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yep, freeze em if you can't use them. 

What size pots?

Former runner

20" was the largest pot I could find. I had 2 rhizomes in each pot but next year I might limit it to 1 to avoid crowding the root system. 2 pots of cascade produced about 6 oz.dry although the other two pots of Willamette only produced a handful. I'm told some vines may take up to 3 years to produce. I based everything on the article in the March-April 2009 issue of BYO with the exception of the trellis.

I bagged the hops in 1 oz packages and tossed them in the freezer.

Ross

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I saw a bumper-sticker today that said I <3 hops.  The guy I was riding next to said it said I <3 hoops.  50 miles into a hilly and windy 75 miler...I think we had different priorities.

Hops are pretty.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, cameraready's hops are very very pretty.  Golden hops are even more so.  They occasionally make it into pot pourri mixtures.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, cameraready's hops are very very pretty.  Golden hops are even more so.  They occasionally make it into pot pourri mixtures.

I really hope to someday grow hops (I would definitely try my hand at brewing my own beer if I could do it entirely from my own ingredients.  Our current yard is far too shady, unfortunately).  Apparently they grow really well in MI.  Quite a few of the awesome MI breweries are growing their hops within the state or starting to.  A buddy of mine stumbled upon a field of hops a little ways north of us, maybe a week ago.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Speaking of MI, I picked up some Bells and some Founders today Big grin

MTA: type
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Speaking of MI, I picked up some Bells and some Foundry today Big grin

Very nice!  Which ones?  We're fans of New Holland, too (not sure if they distribute outside of the area at all), but mostly because it's across the street from our favorite bike shop.  Their beers are good, but their food is excellent!  Their Dragon's Milk beer is one of our favorite growler fills.  That one is really nice in the Winter.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, DH just finished-off a 6 of Fitz.  Good stuff.  I love the Founder's Cerise, too.  Very different from NG's Belgian Red, but still really good.  And Bell's is always good.

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

Founder's Red's Rye P.A.

I am finding that I like rye in beer.  I brewed a wheat beer and added some rye.  It's good.  Sort of like the difference between white and rye breads.

Founders makes some good beer .... expensive in these parts though.

Not at it at all.