Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

I used a full bottle of the blackstrap, put in after I hopped.  But I have a heady dark stout as the base, so I needed a lot just for balance.  Remind me what you are making.  The good news is that you can add it to taste.

I just bottled the brown ale and I think that the amount of molasses I used is pretty good for this beer.  I could just taste a hint of it in the sample, and that was just what I was looking for.  I used 1/2 cup of molasses (not blackstrap) added with 10 minutes left in  the boil.  I think I could have added more, but am not sure I would want to.  We'll see how it is after a few weeks.  Sample was real good, though.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Prince of Fatness

This was good.

The guy in the first picture is using a wort chiller.  WTF?

I downloaded the broadcast and will listen to it when I get home ... thanks.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Brewed an Octoberfest Ale over the weekend.  I wanted to ferment this a little cooler so I put a wet towel over the bucket.  Turns out I didn't need to do this as it is unseasonably cool here and my basement was already at the right temperature.  I hooked up a space heater to warm things up a bit and that seemed to work.  Now with no space heater it is fermenting in the low-mid 60's.  It's not that vigorous but it is cooler in the basement than it has been for other batches, plus I am using European Ale yeast which I heard likes to take its own sweet time.  I'm in no hurry as I am looking to drink this around Thanksgiving.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I think that I found my holiday beer to brew .....

This is a good beer, and has an ABV low enough that you can have a few and remember it.  Their website had enough for me to go on to create a recipe.  I came up with something that is very close in ABV and IBU's.  I'll probably brew it late this month.  Should be interesting.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hurry up.  I'd want my milk stout to age for 4+ months

Prince of Fatness

I'm not as patient as you are.  2 months will have to do.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A heady brew tastes better when well aged.

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, I know.  It will be good in two months, though, and most of it will be drank later than that.  I'm just starting out so I am trying stuff out without planning ahead much.  Next year I plan on brewing the winter beers earlier.

Not at it at all. 

Former runner

I had a group brew last weekend where we brewed some beer. heh

The base malt. 2 bags of Pilsner, 1 Vienna and 1 wheat.

Base Malt

Needs more Wiener!

More Wiener

Milling the grain. One of the guys bought a HUGE stainless steel cooler off craigslist for $50 that we turned into a mash tun.

Milling grain

Breaking in the new mash tun. I think the initial mash in was 26 gal and the sparges were 19 gal each.

Mash tun

The first batch we brewed that day went into a conical fermenter the club acquired from Warbird brewing that closed last year. Rather than carry the kettles down to the basement we decided to just rack through the window.

Racking beer

Going through the window worked great. It's amazing how fast you can transfer 10 gal with gravity on your side.

Conical

The first batch is going to be a Flanders Red. Once the primary fermentation is done we'll transfer it to the Woodford Reserve bourbon barrel we got for the Indiana state fair brewers cup. The down side is that this will take a minimum of a year for the beer to age in the barrel.

The second batch brewed was a lambic. We split this batch up in two mash tuns since the grain didn't all fit in the large cooler. We used the turbid mash method which involves removing some of the wort, heating it to near boiling and adding it back to the mash. It was a bit more challenging and we had some issues getting all the water heated up in a timely manner.

Lambic mash

There is a bunch of wheat in the lambic mash so it was creamy once drained.

Lambic mash

The lambic wort went straight in to a used St. Julian wine barrel we bought off craigslist. That's right we're passing gas through our bunghole!

Lambic Barrel

So the net result of a 14 hour brew day is a conical with a Flanders red and a barrel of lambic. Now we cross our fingers and hope they both turn out a year from now. Each batch will be split up among the guys participating which should account for 5 gal each.

Ross

Prince of Fatness

Interesting.   Just curious .... How do you sanitize the barrels?

MTA:  How did you do the yeast, a bunch of packs or did you just make a big starter?

Not at it at all. 

Former runner

Sanitizing the barrels is a relative term. Mostly you try to kill off as much of the stuff growing in them before adding the beer. When we first used the bourbon barrel it came straight from the distillery so we didn't have to clean it other than a quick rinse. I used a product called barolkleen on the wine barrel since it had a bunch of gunk left over from the wine in it. I rinsed it several times and added some potassium metabisulphite to kill off any remaining bugs. Both these barrel will be dedicated to sour beers after this. Once the Brettanomyces and other bugs get in the wood we can re-use them without having to pitch more cultures. It seemed kind of odd to clean the barrels first but we wanted to choose what bugs were living in these barrels.

The Flanders batch was pitched with 6-7 packs of US-05 dry yeast first. When we rack into the barrel we'll add the Roeselare blend from Wyeast. The idea is that the ale yeast will ferment most of the sugars leaving a small amount for the souring bacteria to consume. The Lambic batch received a vial of White Labs Belgian sour mix and 5 gals of previously brewed lambic.

One guy that gave us some advice was the Mad Fermentationist. His blog is pretty good.

Ross

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Indeed.  The whole point of lambic is to incorporate some natural yeasts and bacteria.  Plus, as I have stated before, once a natural beer fermentation gets rollling, the wort becomes a fairly toxic place for would-be-contaminating organisms.

That said, the one time I tried to brew in an oak barrel (50 gallons, made an apricot lambic), the whole thing oxidized and went bad.  A LOT of wasted work.  Much luck, yours looks much more controlled.

Prince of Fatness

Sounds interesting  ... I hope that your beers turn out well.

Not at it at all. 

Former runner

The first disclaimer on the sign up was that this could all go bad. Fortunately by buying the grain in bulk it only came out to $25 per person so the risks seem minimal. This is the club's 4th and 5th barrel project this year. So we're starting to get the logistics down. One of the other guys has a barrel that just got filled with a barley wine.

Ross