Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Grain is just as easy as a kit.  And far more fulfilling.

Lazy idiot

There are three things that, while not required, made all grain very easy...

1. Outdoor burner.
      2. 9 gallon brew kettle.
      3. 10 gallon cooler for mashing and sparging.

I originally mashed in a 5 gallon pot and sparged using the double bucket method (go to any bakery and you can get food grade buckets for free).  I find the cooler much easier.

I have the outdoor burner and a 10 gallon brew kettle.  It's the 10 gallon cooler (or other suitable item) that I lack.  I thought I'd asked for everything I needed, and then was picking through the goodies and realized I couldn't go all grain right out of the gate without either spending more money or being extremely creative.

I also don't have an immersion chiller, but it doesn't seem that's a necessity.  Waiting overnight to pitch has not proved fatal just yet.

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I also don't have an immersion chiller, but it doesn't seem that's a necessity

It ain't.

Lazy idiot

Grain is just as easy as a kit.  And far more fulfilling.

Look who's here!

This is the intent.  I'll have an all-grain batch going by the end of February.  First I have a hotel room to book and a 15-miler to run (sorry... no 50k for me, though 33 miles just before my 33rd birthday does have an idiotic gravity to it).

Tick tock

Prince of Fatness

You can now go to all grain for no cost (well, you do need to buy a spigot.  I bought a plastic one from my LHBS).  As I said, any bakery will give you 5 gallon food grade buckets for free.  They just throw them out anyway.

You need two buckets.  Install the spigot in one, and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the other.  There is your sparge set up.  Mash in a pot.

And immersion chiller.  Heh.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

33 miles just before my 33rd birthday does have an idiotic gravity to it

Just sayin.

Lazy idiot

So I didn't think I'd have any dumb newbie questions, but I think I do.

Last Monday night, I started my first batch, a robust porter (yes, Trent... a kit.  Sue me.)

Everything went well enough that night.  The kit came with pellet hops, and I did not strain them out when I transferred to the fermenter.  This may have been dumb, I don't know.

Wort cooled overnight to roughly 70 F, and I pitched my dry yeast packet Tuesday AM.  I noted the gravity at 1.044 (slightly below the recipe's range of 1.048-1.055 I think, but not drastically so). 

• By late Tuesday night, I had bubbles in the airlock.  Roughly 1/8-10 seconds. 
                • By Wednesday PM, the thing was rocking with a bubble per second or so. 
                • Thursday PM, I didn't see any bubbles at all, but I could still see pressure in the airlock.
                • Friday PM: no apparent pressure noted visually in the airlock, and no bubbles.
                • Saturday AM: pulled off the lid to get a gravity reading (1.010, slightly below the 1.012-1.016 range suggested but again, not by much).   The smell of the liquid had changed from that of hoppy sweetness to that of beer.  Between the smell and the gravity change, I'm satisfied (as much as a beginner can be) that fermentation took place, though I admit I'm surprised by the quick pace.  I'd expected it to take longer, by maybe 2-5 days.

My questions:

• How worrisome is the fact that I didn't strain the hops out of the wort before fermenting?  My completely uneducated guess is that at best I'll have a hoppier version of the beer I'm brewing (not necessarily my taste, but whatever).  At worst I've done something dumb and wasted a few bucks and hours on some undrinkable concoction.
                • The gravity seems to indicate that fermentation is mostly complete.  Should I rack to a secondary fermenter?  And in this case, that would be mostly for reasons of clarity, no?
                • What's the best (or easiest, maybe) way to rack to secondary (or a bottling bucket, if no secondary is needed) without transferring all the hops and gunk?  Slip a nylon/muslin bag or two over the racking cane? 

Thanks for your help, folks.

Tick tock

Prince of Fatness

I'll take a stab at this...

How worrisome is the fact that I didn't strain the hops out of the wort before fermenting?  My completely uneducated guess is that at best I'll have a hoppier version of the beer I'm brewing (not necessarily my taste, but whatever).  At worst I've done something dumb and wasted a few bucks and hours on some undrinkable concoction.

I don't think that this will be a problem.  Might alter the taste a little, but I highly doubt that it will make the beer undrinkable.  I use pellet hops and put them in muslin bags.  I do an ice bath after the boil, then once the wort has cooled I rack over to the fermenting bucket, leaving the bags and rest of the gunk.

The gravity seems to indicate that fermentation is mostly complete.  Should I rack to a secondary fermenter?  And in this case, that would be mostly for reasons of clarity, no?

I'm lazy and have been doing long primaries.  The last two batches I primaried for 4 weeks and then bottled.  The beer turned out fine.  I'll still secondary if I have a beer that I want to age more than a month before bottling or if dry hopping.  My suggestion is to let it be for another week or two then bottle.

What's the best (or easiest, maybe) way to rack to secondary (or a bottling bucket, if no secondary is needed) without transferring all the hops and gunk?  Slip a nylon/muslin bag or two over the racking cane?

Just be careful when you rack it.  Are you using one of those auto siphons?  Don't scrape around on the bottom much and you should be OK.  Most of the crap will have settled (with the yeast) so it shouldn't transfer over.

You might get some differing opinions but those are my suggestions.  After all, it's just a batch of beer.

Not at it at all. 

Former runner

I don't bother with bagging my hop pellets. If some of them end up in the fermenter it's no big deal. They'll settle to the bottom with the yeast eventually. You won't need anything special when racking out of the bucket. Just keep an eye on the racking cane when the bucket starts to get empty to avoid sucking up all the trub and yeast.

1.010 sounds like a good final gravity but I would give it another week to be sure. I made the mistake of bottling a beer that wasn't quite done and one of the bottles blew up on me. Literally. I also don't do many secondary transfers these days. Mostly because I'm lazy and don't like cleaning a second fermenter.

Ross

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What are hop pellets?

Seriously, it should not be an issue.

Camera, I would suspect that your blown bottle had more to do with too much priming sugar or a weak bottle than due to a hair excess final gravity.  The little bit of final gravity should be miniscule relative to the amount of sugar you add for priming.

Lazy idiot

Thanks, all.  I figured this was just my first "RDWHAHB" moment of many to come, but wanted to be sure.

Saturday will be a week since I last checked.  I'll check it again and not be afraid to let it sit a while longer.  The only reason I think I'd rack to my carboy is that I'd prefer to have the initial fermentation taking place in the bucket with extra headspace to avoid having to use a blowoff tube, and if I get itchy to brew another batch this weekend... I'll need the bucket.

Pellet hops... seriously?  Or are you just giving me a hard time?  (Like I don't already know the answer to this question)

Tick tock

Prince of Fatness

I'd prefer to have the initial fermentation taking place in the bucket with extra headspace to avoid having to use a blowoff tube

FWIW I use a blow off tube with the bucket every batch.  I had one batch that had krauzen clogging the air lock, and if I hadn't discovered it in time I would have had a ceiling full of beer.  It can happen even with the bucket.  From then on it's been blow off tubes.  I switch off to an air lock once fermentation slows.

As far as needing the bucket for the next batch, buy another bucket.  That's what I did.  They are cheap relative to carboys.  I prefer to let the beer sit and do its thing longer in the primary.  I really haven't noticed any difference in clarity, but then again I'm not picky about that.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Camera, I would suspect that your blown bottle had more to do with too much priming sugar or a weak bottle than due to a hair excess final gravity.

Or perhaps the priming solution was not mixed evenly with the wort?

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Well wouldn't you know it I just ordered the Barley Crusher.

This weekend I am brewing my first batch of beer since buying this contraption.  I know I could use a drill but I'll hand crank this batch just for the fun of it.

Can't wait to see the look on Mrs Finn's face tomorrow when I lug a 50 pound sack of 2 row into the house.

Not at it at all. 

Former runner

Or perhaps the priming solution was not mixed evenly with the wort?

Yeah I guess I left out some of the facts. Even though I had read "the bible" I ignored the temps in my basement and fermented it in the mid 50s. Then I mixed in the priming sugar per the instructions which was probably too much. After a couple weeks the beers were carbed normal. But after a month they were all over carbed. These days when I do bottle condition I use the beersmith software to calculate how much sugar to add by weight.

Ross