Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When I bottle condition, I pour a spoonful of sugar into each bottle. 

When I bottle condition, I pour a spoonful of sugar into each bottle. 

More often than not, that'll get you fireworks.  Everyone I know who does this has exploding bottles.

My best technique is to dissolve priming sugar in boiling water.......then just stir it into the finished beer in the bottling bucket.  Makes a consistent end product.  I have never had a bottle blow and always have good carbonation.

Of course, I haven't bottled for at least 12 or 13 years once I decided to keg.  I doubt I will EVER bottle again......

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

20 years, no exploding bottles.

Prince of Fatness

20 years, no exploding bottles.

I'll agree that the same amount of sugar goes in every bottle, which is good, but it sounds like more work to do it that way.  I guess that in the end it boils down to do what works for you.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I always have friends over when I brew.  They need / want something to do.  A funnel and sugar does not add too much work.  This way, the same amount of sugar goes into each bottle.  No more, no less.

Prince of Fatness

I always have friends over when I brew.

Tomorrow is brew day.  I have some wort for a yeast starter cooling off on my deck now.  It may get out of hand, as there may be 20+ people in my garage tomorrow.  At least it will provide warmth.

And Mrs Finn only rolled her eyes a little when she saw that sack of 2 row.

Not at it at all. 

Former runner

My last 4 batches have been brewed with friends. Makes the brew day go faster. Plus I've been doing some split batches where we brew 11 gallons and use different yeasts in each 5.5 gal batch. Makes for some interesting comparisons. I'm sampling my half of a Munich Helles lager tonight. We did a triple decoction mash with all pilsner malt. That was a long brew day but was fun.

Ross

planning on brewing some beer next month w/ my brother.  he's the man w/ the plan and the equipment but I'm buying the fixins' this time around. 

Hoping for something to enjoy in the spring: yuengling clone or a strawberry blonde?

What say the people in the know?

nothing to see here.  

Prince of Fatness

Yuengling would involve lagering, no?  Is your brother set up for that.  If you are looking for something like Yuengling maybe try a cream ale.  Or how about a pale ale.  Start with something simple.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What is so hard about lagering?  Got a basement?

Prince of Fatness

My basement will not get down into the 30's.  I suppose in the garage I'd have a chance this time of year.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Doesn't have to be that cold @ 5-10 gallons.  40 or even 50 works.  You can also use an extra fridge, or bottle fast and lager in the bottles.

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, I guess.  I really can't lager in bottles because I don't have the fridge space.

I thought that when you brew a lager that you primaried in the 50's then lagered in the 30's.  I could handle the first part, but not really the second.  I guess my main point was if it's this guy's first brew why not start simple with an ale.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Your main point is a good one.

I have brewed lagers in closets plenty of times, with adequate results.

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, it's something that I will eventually try, but having just started brewing recently myself there are still plenty of styles of ales that I haven't brewed yet.  Maybe next winter.

Not at it at all.