Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This one came in at 9.6% .... not for the weak of heart.

I need to send you some of my Monkey Mud Stout, with oatmeal and molasses.  It clocks around that level.  Spaniel has had some.

Prince of Fatness

You send it, I'll drink it.  Maybe I will throw one of the holiday ales in your next shipment.  The sample tasted good when I bottled.  You definitely get the heat from the alcohol.  It needs to mellow.  I think that I will save a half or more of the batch for next (2012) holiday season.  If I send it, age it for a year.

I have had a strong craving for oatmeal stouts as of late.  Looking at your recipe......

• 5 lbs 2 row American Malt
      • 5 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
      • 1 lb Chocolate Malt
      • 1 lb Roasted Barley
      • 1 lb 60l Crystal Malt
      • ~3-4 lbs steel cut oats
      • 2 oz Hallertau
      • 2 oz Golden
      • 2 oz Cascade
      • Wyeast British Ale II yeast
      • ~10 oz dark blackstrap molasses

This will be a small stove top batch and I am going to keep it real simple...

80% 2 Row

10% Roasted Barley

10% Flaked Oats (I will use Quaker quick oats from the grocery store)

1 oz Willamette ('cause I have them in the freezer)

Wyeast Irish Ale

Prime with dark brown sugar when bottling (just to provide a little of that "breakfast" taste)

I'll probably brew this some night next week.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I need to send you some of my Monkey Mud Stout, with oatmeal and molasses.  It clocks around that level.  Spaniel has had some.

That stuff was amazing.  I'm not exaggerating.  Trent is lucky I didn't sneak the rest into C-R's trunk when we left.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Former runner

I picked up some fresh unpasteurized cider today. After much discussion with local brewers I decided to forgo any extra sanitation and just pitch yeast directly. I'm using a sweet mead yeast so hopefully I'll end up with some residual sugars. I'll wait until it clears before I decide if I want to sweeten it.

fresh cider

Ross

Feeling the growl again

I picked up some fresh unpasteurized cider today. After much discussion with local brewers I decided to forgo any extra sanitation and just pitch yeast directly. I'm using a sweet mead yeast so hopefully I'll end up with some residual sugars. I'll wait until it clears before I decide if I want to sweeten it.

fresh cider

I am sure that will be much easier than starting with cider with potassium sorbate added.  That can be done but it is a challenge.  Don't ask me how I know that...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I usually use champagne yeast, pitched directly into my fresh cider.  Yes, pitched directly after the yeast has been started.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Where do you guys find unpasteurized cider?  I think most of the places around us pasteurize it.  Wish we could afford a cider press...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Every apple farm I have ever gone to sells it unpasteurized.

I usually get mine at a place called Hubers, southern IN.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Reading around it sounds like it might be illegal to sell unpasteurized in MI.  I will have to find out if that's true.  I saw one person say that pasteurized isn't always a problem, as long as it's not been modified with added chemicals.  Thoughts?

~ Sarah Kay

Former runner

Reading around it sounds like it might be illegal to sell unpasteurized in MI.  I will have to find out if that's true.  I saw one person say that pasteurized isn't always a problem, as long as it's not been modified with added chemicals.  Thoughts?

I found my cider at Great Fermentations while in Indy last week. They ordered a truckload and had a cooler full. It would probably be cheaper at the orchards but it was convenient since I needed yeast and a few other supplies. They insisted on giving me a piece of paper with a government warning.

"Government Warning: This product has not been pasteurized and therefore, may contain harmful bacteria that can cause serious illness in children, the elderly and persons with weakened immune systems."

A LHBS can probably tell you where to get unpasteurized cider or what pasteurized ciders would work,

Ross

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A LHBS can probably tell you where to get unpasteurized cider or what pasteurized ciders would work,

Good suggestion.  I should definitely ask around.  I know of one homebrew place near backroadrunner (a couple of runners own the place), but it's nowhere near any orchards.  I live near a bunch of orchards, but don't know of any homebrew places less than an hour away.  I have a neighbor who brews, so I'll have to ask him if he knows of any resources--either for equipment or cider.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Serious illness = listeria and e coli.  A good yeast fermentation should take care of these.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

pasteurized isn't always a problem, as long as it's not been modified with added chemicals.

Pasteurization almost never ever involves chemicals.  At most, they'd add sulfates.  The main issue with pasteurization is that it kills off the natural yeasts and helpful bacteria, both of which are likely to create a relatively sour product after full fermentation. 

Prince of Fatness

Every apple farm I have ever gone to sells it unpasteurized.

This has been my experience as well.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

This will be a small stove top batch and I am going to keep it real simple...

80% 2 Row

10% Roasted Barley

10% Flaked Oats (I will use Quaker quick oats from the grocery store)

1 oz Willamette ('cause I have them in the freezer)

Wyeast Irish Ale

Prime with dark brown sugar when bottling (just to provide a little of that "breakfast" taste)

I'll probably brew this some night next week.

Well, I brewed this Friday.  All went well, then I went to pitch the yeast and when I went to cut open the smack pack it tipped over in my hand and dumped on the counter.  Idiot.  So, after a moment of silence, I smacked a pack of American Ale II yeast and pitched that.  Would have preferred the Irish Ale yeast but this should be just fine.  I would have waited until the next morning and drove to the LHBS for another pack of Irish Ale yeast but I had to head to Brooklyn for a wedding so I was pressed for time.

Not at it at all.