Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I guess this is my backup plan #3. No reason why I cannot do this even now.

I suspect that you can also add the wort like I made a bit at a time so as not to overwhelm the ferment, which would increase volume with the high SG wort.

Prince of Fatness

Liking that idea the more I think about it.  You are still adding sugar at intervals, just with additional volume.  Maybe pick a target gravity and keep adding more wort when you hit it.  Would be like stepping up a starter.  You wouldn't be overwhelming the yeast.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Correct. And I can do this today if I wanted.

Prince of Fatness

Been tasting the German Style IPA. Been bottled 3 weeks. The hops are indeed spicy. It's quite the bitter beer. I like that the kolsch yeast provides some fruitiness. The problem is that I have two cases of it.

Last weekend I racked the rye Porter into the carboy with the oak cubes and Michter's. The base beer tasted pretty good. I will bottle that sometime in March.

I picked these hops up a couple of months ago.

http://adha.us/varietals/jarrylo-adha-881

They sounded interesting. I think that I'll brew a SMaSH with them next week.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Been tasting the German Style IPA. Been bottled 3 weeks. The hops are indeed spicy. It's quite the bitter beer. I like that the kolsch yeast provides some fruitiness. The problem is that I have two cases of it.

I know some people that can help you with that problem.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

I know some people that can help you with that problem.

There were some in the box I sent to Norm.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I was lucky enough to get a discounted Corsair barrel that has been used to age batches of gin for nearly 3 years. This is a great barrel. I was going to send it to Spaniel to age some wine in, then put a sour beer of mine into it. But he does not like gin, so he will get a new barrel and I will use the gin barrel to age a sour honey saison -

Malt for 11 gal into primary -
                - Pilsner (Bel) 54.1% -> 14.0 lbs (54.1%)
                - White Wheat 14.3% -> 3.7 lbs (14.3%)
                - Buckwheat 10.8% -> 2.8 lbs (10.8%)
                - Honey Malt 4.3% -> 1.1 lbs (4.2%)
                - Oats, Malted 3.5% -> 0.9 lbs (3.5%)
                - Honey 13% -> 3.1 lbs (13.1%)

- Total grain weight 22.5 lbs (18.8 lbs excluding buckwheat)

Hop -
                - Hallertau (4.5%) 15.4 IBU -> 2.9 oz at 90 min

Bugs -
                - French Saison (WLP590)
                - Lacto delbrueckii (WLP677)
                - Brett claussenii (WLP645)
                - CMY-01 (WLP648 and/or propagated dregs)

Cereal Mash for the Buckwheat
                Add to total mash for 60 min sach rest at 152

90 min Boil. Honey at Whirlpool

Targets -
                OG 1.068
                FG 1.000
                IBU 15.5 if 100% attenuation
                SRM 5.68

- Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/R)(T2 - T1) + T2; r is water to grain (quarts/lb)
                - My math: ((0.2/1.2)(152-65) + 152) = 166.5°F (22.5 quarts total)

Steps -
                - add milled buckwheat to water at 170°F (its gelatinization temperature) at 3 quarts/lb (8.5 quarts)
                - hold temp for 20 minutes at 170°F to allow the gelatinization to occur
                - raise your temperature to a gentle boil
                - Add to 14 quarts, heat to strike temperature
                - Mash in
                - Sparge
                - Boil, target 11 gallons
                - crash chill hot wort
                - whirlpool & add honey

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I was lucky enough to get a discounted Corsair barrel that has been used to age batches of gin for nearly 3 years. This is a great barrel. I was going to send it to Spaniel to age some wine in, then put a sour beer of mine into it. But he does not like gin, so he will get a new barrel and I will use the gin barrel to age a sour honey saison -

Malt for 11 gal into primary -
                    - Pilsner (Bel) 54.1% -> 14.0 lbs (54.1%)
                    - White Wheat 14.3% -> 3.7 lbs (14.3%)
                    - Buckwheat 10.8% -> 2.8 lbs (10.8%)
                    - Honey Malt 4.3% -> 1.1 lbs (4.2%)
                    - Oats, Malted 3.5% -> 0.9 lbs (3.5%)
                    - Honey 13% -> 3.1 lbs (13.1%)

- Total grain weight 22.5 lbs (18.8 lbs excluding buckwheat)

Hop -
                    - Hallertau (4.5%) 15.4 IBU -> 2.9 oz at 90 min

Bugs -
                    - French Saison (WLP590)
                    - Lacto delbrueckii (WLP677)
                    - Brett claussenii (WLP645)
                    - CMY-01 (WLP648 and/or propagated dregs)

Cereal Mash for the Buckwheat
                    Add to total mash for 60 min sach rest at 152

90 min Boil. Honey at Whirlpool

Targets -
                    OG 1.068
                    FG 1.000
                    IBU 15.5 if 100% attenuation
                    SRM 5.68

- Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/R)(T2 - T1) + T2; r is water to grain (quarts/lb)
                    - My math: ((0.2/1.2)(152-65) + 152) = 166.5°F (22.5 quarts total)

Steps -
                    - add milled buckwheat to water at 170°F (its gelatinization temperature) at 3 quarts/lb (8.5 quarts)
                    - hold temp for 20 minutes at 170°F to allow the gelatinization to occur
                    - raise your temperature to a gentle boil
                    - Add to 14 quarts, heat to strike temperature
                    - Mash in
                    - Sparge
                    - Boil, target 11 gallons
                    - crash chill hot wort
                    - whirlpool & add honey

That is better than lemonades from lemons.  I'm sure your sour will turn out great with straight wine/oak leaving out the gin.  Honestly my wine batch is probably sub-prime for a red wine but ideal for conditioning that barrel for your purposes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Brewing up a SMaSH tonight....

2 Row / Jarrylo SMaSH

5.5 lbs US 2 Row Malt

Hops all Jarrylo (14.4% AA)

.25 oz first wort

.25 oz 60 mins

.25 oz 15 mins

.25 oz 10 mins

.25 oz 5 mins

.75 oz flameout

A few days beforehand, toast 1 lb of the malt at 300 for 25 minutes.

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast, no starter.

Mash 152 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.

I saw this hop at the LHBS a while back and was intrigued by the profile so I picked it up figuring to brew a SMaSH with it.

Jarrylo™ (pronounced Jar-ril-low) is named after Jarilo, the Slavic god of fertility and springtime. The high alpha content is accompanied by notes of banana, pear, orange and spice aroma that translates perfectly to Pale Ales, Saisons and Belgians. It is a dwarf cultivar considered to be a dual purpose hop by most brewers.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Jarrylo™ (pronounced Jar-ril-low) is named after Jarilo, the Slavic god of fertility and springtime. The high alpha content is accompanied by notes of banana, pear, orange and spice aroma that translates perfectly to Pale Ales, Saisons and Belgians. It is a dwarf cultivar considered to be a dual purpose hop by most brewers.

I haven't seen this hop before. That does sound interesting. I could see where that might make a tasty tripel.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

I haven't seen this hop before. That does sound interesting. I could see where that might make a tasty tripel.

I was thinking saison. No issues with the brew last night. Those hops did have a unique aroma. Was getting pear.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I was thinking saison. No issues with the brew last night. Those hops did have a unique aroma. Was getting pear.

It will be interesting to see what kind of flavors you get in that SMaSH.

Prince of Fatness

Maris Otter / Challenger SMaSH (11 quarts)

This is about as simple of a barleywine recipe as it gets.  Curious as to what the color will be with the extended boiling.

Bottled this after 39 days. The yeast cake was quite compressed and the beer racked very clear. Color was darker than pale, probably a little lighter than your typical Barleywine. Flavor was spot on for the style. Very tasty. It was a little boozy but I expect that to subside with time. Really pleased with how this turned out. FG 1.018 giving me 10.1% ABV.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Bottled this after 39 days. The yeast cake was quite compressed and the beer racked very clear. Color was darker than pale, probably a little lighter than your typical Barleywine. Flavor was spot on for the style. Very tasty. It was a little boozy but I expect that to subside with time. Really pleased with how this turned out. FG 1.018 giving me 10.1% ABV.

Want.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills