Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I will use the gin barrel to age a sour honey saison 

Brewed this yesterday. Ended up with ~11.5 gallons @ 1.070, so just on target. Pitched the bugs at 9pm. Airlock activity was vigorous enough by 3am to wake me (thank goodness my wife is out of town!).

The cerealization step with the buckwheat was interesting. I ended up with nearly 3 gallons of a semi-gelatinous oatmeal-like mush at the beginning that jammed up the sparges and slowed the whole process. It took 3 full sparges to get all the sugar out. Gonna be good food for the wild yeasts.

The other interesting part was getting the CMY-01 yeast. Turns out it is not commercially available. It is the house yeast at Crooked Stave. Thing is, when CS bottles, they always add some champagne yeast. This has two effects: 1) gives a bright carbonation; 2) limits people's ability to harvest their house yeast without a formal microbiology lab. However, Evil Twin did a collaboration with CS and made a beer with just the CS house yeasts. The ET bottle was NOT finished with champagne yeast. I was able to prop up bottle dregs, and the starter I made was very fruity, estery in the nose, as it should be.

Prince of Fatness

I took today off and decided to brew some beer.

Orange is the new Brown (11 qt)

2.75 lb US 2 row

2.75 lb Vienna

.25 lb Caravienne

.25 lb Chocolate

Hops all El Dorado (14.9% AA)

.25 oz first wort

.25 oz 60 minutes

.25 oz 15 minutes

.25 oz 10 minutes

.25 oz 5 minutes

.75 oz flameout

Wyeast American Ale II (1272) no starter.

Zest one orange and add to mash.

Zest one orange and add at flameout.

Mash 152 for an hour. Boil an hour. Chill and pitch yeast.

I brewed a golden IPA a couple of years ago with all El Dorado hops. I really like the orange flavor that they provide. So, I decided to tweak the grain bill toward an American Brown, tone down the hops a bit, and add the zest.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I had everything cleaned up by 3 PM yesterday.  OG 1.060.  Sample had some nice orange flavor.  Air lock activity this morning.  It's rolling.

Not at it at all. 

tim uf

Upgraded: Sort of Broken

in case you don't follow JesterKing Brewing:

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/jester-king-homebrew-recipes-part-ii

Ol Oi is my favorite beer i've had since i started using Untappd. It will be tough to really recreate what JesterKing does because of their house and 'wild' yeasts, but a hell of a reference here.

Chill, be mellow, and be in a mood for embracing the sun.

"ooohhh, what is the malted liquor, what gets you drunker quicker,
          what comes in bottles or in cans?
          BEER!"

Prince of Fatness

in case you don't follow JesterKing Brewing:

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/jester-king-homebrew-recipes-part-ii

Ol Oi is my favorite beer i've had since i started using Untappd. It will be tough to really recreate what JesterKing does because of their house and 'wild' yeasts, but a hell of a reference here.

I like when breweries post recipes or give hints as to what is in their beer. I also like when the are vague in spots. It allows for some fun guessing games.

Not at it at all. 

tim uf

Upgraded: Sort of Broken

I like when breweries post recipes or give hints as to what is in their beer. I also like when the are vague in spots. It allows for some fun guessing games.

i think brewdog recently posted a ton of their recipes as well...

Chill, be mellow, and be in a mood for embracing the sun.

"ooohhh, what is the malted liquor, what gets you drunker quicker,
              what comes in bottles or in cans?
              BEER!"

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Prince of Fatness

2 Row / Jarrylo SMaSH

I had my first bottle of this a few days ago.  Those hops have some things going on.  I was getting pear, but there were some other fruity notes too.  Not a citrus type of fruity.

Orange is the new Brown

I bottled this up last night.  It's different for a brown.  I definitely got the orange but it was offset by hop bitterness.  It will be interesting to taste once it carbs up but I think that it will be good.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Grapefruit Citra IPA

I was very happy with how this came out so time to do another IPA with citrus zest.  Brewing this after work.

Lemon Lime IPA

6.0 lb 2 row malt

.5 lb Flaked barley

.25 lb Crystal 20L malt

All Sorachi Ace hops 11.9% AA

.375 oz first wort

.375 oz 60 min

.5 oz 15 min

.5 oz 10 min

.5 oz 5 min

.75 oz flameout

1 oz 7 day dry hop

Zest one lemon and one lime and add to mash

Zest one lemon and one lime and add to wort at flameout

Safale US-05 dry yeast (no starter)

Mash 151 for 60 minutes.  Boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.  1 week before bottling add the dry hops.

Not at it at all. 

gusgordon

Madtree (Cincy) posts or otherwise makes available all of their recipes.

Prince of Fatness

Madtree (Cincy) posts or otherwise makes available all of their recipes.

Pretty nice. So they give you the grains and the hops and you need to figure out yeast and process (temps, etc.).  I like that.

Maris Otter / Challenger SMaSH (11 quarts)

I tasted this after 6 weeks and it is already a fine English Barleywine.  I'll need to resist the temptation to drink them all right away.  The extended boil and boiling down some of the first runnings certainly adds complexity to the beer.

Orange is the new Brown (11 qt)

This turned out pretty nice.  Not as much orange flavor as expected but still noticeable and good.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Atypical Coffee Beer

This one was a hit last year, so for the first outside brew of 2016 I will brew a 5.25 gallon batch of it.  I was looking for something dry and refreshing and nailed it.  It was dangerously crushable at 7.6%.

Atypical Coffee Beer 2016

11 lbs Vienna Malt

4 lbs Flaked Maize

Hops all Willamette (5.1% AA)

1 oz 60 mins

1 oz 45 mins

A day before steep 1/2 lb of coffee in a quart of water.  Strain and add coffee at flame out.

Zest four lemons and add at flame out.

Safale US-05 dry yeast (2 packs)

Mash 149 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.

I tweaked the coffee and lemon a little.  I want a little more coffee and a little less lemon.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Lemon Lime IPA

I bottled this up last night.  The sample was nice, a decent amount of lemon and lime and plenty of bitters to balance it out.  It will be a nice spring time IPA.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Lemon Lime IPA

This one is drinking well, and feedback that I've received from others that have tried it is favorable.  Fruiting the IPA's works for me.

Atypical Coffee Beer 2016

I just bottled this up last night.  The sample was tasty.  There was a nice balance of coffee and lemon.  FG was a dry 1.010 giving me an ABV of 7.9%.  I think that this one will be dangerously crushable for the ABV, as was last year's batch.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I'd drink both of those.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills