Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

Last week I did an experiment.  I wanted to caramelize some raisins and add them to a tripel but Mrs Finn suggested roasting grapes instead.  I want to see how this works as I am looking to brew a cream ale with blueberries in the near future.  So....

Tripel with grapes (11 quarts)

7 lbs Pilsner

.5 lbs Lyle's Golden Syrup (add with 10 minutess left in the boil)

2 pounds roasted grapes (add with 1 minute left in the boil)

German Tettnang hop pellets 3.9% AA

1.00 oz 60 minutes (wasn't paying attention and added them right away, so they were in there 80 minutes)

Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Yeast (1 qt starter)

Mash 149 degrees for 80 minutes.

Boil 80 minutes.   Mash the grapes a little before adding them so that the juices come out.   Chill and pitch yeast.  Ferment 4 weeks (at a high temperature) or so then bottle,

I posted a picture of the roasted grapes on Instagram (1 pound) the day before and Trent commented that it may not be enough.  I had already had that thought, so we bought another pound.  Probably still not enough.  I got a subtle amount of grape in the sample but I am thinking that this yeast will drown out the grape flavor.  The cream ale will be lighter bodied and the yeast will be neutral, but I still think that I want to go higher than a pound a gallon with the blueberries when I do that one.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would drink that.

Classic is 1 lb fruit/gallon of beer. This varies a bit based on the intensity of the fruit's flavor, but is fairly common. These days, tho, brewers are pushing it to 2-3 lbs/gallon.

My sorghum wheat wine is almost ready, after about a year in a sorghum whiskey barrel. I am thinking of finishing it with blackberries, which are intensely flavored. I may nonetheless add ~1 lb/gallon, but first cook it down to get some jammy flavors. (Think southern biscuits with sorghum and blackberry jam.)

Prince of Fatness

jammy flavors

And aroma.  The kitchen smelled like grape jam when we roasted those grapes.  Fantastic.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Last week I did an experiment.  I wanted to caramelize some raisins and add them to a tripel but Mrs Finn suggested roasting grapes instead.  I want to see how this works as I am looking to brew a cream ale with blueberries in the near future.

I have not bottled the tripel yet but simply brewing it gave me enough information to move forward with the blueberry cream ale.

This will be my standard cream ale that I brew using fresh potatoes from my garden.  It will be a 5 gallon batch, and I will use 7.5 pounds of blueberries.  I don't think that I need to go nuts, as this is a light bodied beer with a neutral yeast.  Should be enough blueberries.  Not sure how we will precook them.  Roasting is an option but Mrs Finn did an experiment on the stove that turned out well.  We'll see.

This will be my 99th home brew batch, so we decided to make it a party with the theme "99th batch of beer in the garage".  Should be fun.

Not at it at all. 

gusgordon

This one was a hit last year, so for the first outside brew of 2016 I will brew a 5.25 gallon batch of it.  I was looking for something dry and refreshing and nailed it.  It was dangerously crushable at 7.6%.

Atypical Coffee Beer 2016

11 lbs Vienna Malt

4 lbs Flaked Maize

Hops all Willamette (5.1% AA)

1 oz 60 mins

1 oz 45 mins

A day before steep 1/2 lb of coffee in a quart of water.  Strain and add coffee at flame out.

Zest four lemons and add at flame out.

Safale US-05 dry yeast (2 packs)

Mash 149 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.

I tweaked the coffee and lemon a little.  I want a little more coffee and a little less lemon.

This was great, man.

Feeling the growl again

I have not bottled the tripel yet but simply brewing it gave me enough information to move forward with the blueberry cream ale.

This will be my standard cream ale that I brew using fresh potatoes from my garden.  It will be a 5 gallon batch, and I will use 7.5 pounds of blueberries.  I don't think that I need to go nuts, as this is a light bodied beer with a neutral yeast.  Should be enough blueberries.  Not sure how we will precook them.  Roasting is an option but Mrs Finn did an experiment on the stove that turned out well.  We'll see.

This will be my 99th home brew batch, so we decided to make it a party with the theme "99th batch of beer in the garage".  Should be fun.

Want.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

This was great, man.

Thanks!  Glad that you enjoyed.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Want.

Should be able to arrange that. Still close to a month away from distribution tho.

If I don't get any flavor from the blueberries it won't be from lack of color. It was definitely noticeable coming out of the blow off tube.

I bottled the Tripel with grapes. Could not easily detect the grapes, but I could tell that there was something fruity and sweet in there. Nicely complemented the flavor from the yeast.  This will be a nice beer.

Not at it at all. 

gusgordon

Amazingly I went almost two whole weeks without having a batch of beer sitting somewhere in the house in a bucket or carboy.  Well, that ended yesterday evening.

Oatmeal Saison (11 qt)

3 lb US 2 row

1 lb Oat Malt

1 lb Flaked Oats

Hops all German Hallertau (4.5% AA)

.5 oz 60 minutes

.5 oz 15 minutes

Wyeast French Saison (3711) no starter.

Mash 148 for an hour. Boil an hour. Chill and pitch yeast.  After a day ramp up the temperature to 70+ degrees.  This should not be difficult given that we are forecast for a warm spell.

I've added oats to a wit and was happy with the results so I figured why not get a little more heavy handed and brew a saison with them,

Also fantastic!

Prince of Fatness

A few pictures from brewing the potato cream ale with blueberries.

We cooked the blueberries on the stove the night before.  Very low heat.  It's almost as though we melted them.

They were stored in the fridge overnight.  The whole mess got dumped into the wort with 5 minutes left.  We microwaved them a bit so that they didn't knock the boil down so much. Just after adding them.

Gravity reading.  Should be a nice session beer.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I would SO drink that...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I just got done bottling. This is pretty good. The blueberries are there and they complement the beer nicely. Definitely not over the top. I like it. Can't wait for it to carb up.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I took the day off yesterday and it was so damn hot out that I decided to stay inside and brew some beer.

Melon IPA (11 qts)

6.0 lb 2 row malt

.5 lb Flaked barley

.25 lb Crystal 20L malt

All German Hull Melon hops 4.5% AA, except for one addition

1 oz first wort

.5 oz 60 min

.5 oz 60 min (Mt Hood 5,5% AA)

.5 oz 15 min

.5 oz 10 min

.5 oz 5 min

1 oz flameout

1 oz 7 day dry hop

Juice 2 canary melons and add at flameout (this came to about a quart)

Safale US-05 dry yeast (no starter)

Mash 151 for 60 minutes.  Boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.  1 week before bottling add the dry hops.

OG was 1.064.

I am hoping for a melon bomb.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I've had a couple of the Potato Cream Ale with Blueberries.  With all of the color you'd think it would be a blueberry bomb, but it isn't.  There is definitely blueberry flavor and aroma, but not overpowering.  To be honest it's just about right for me, and a nice session beer.  I like it.

Last night I bottled the Melon IPA.  I was extremely pleased with the sample.  Nice melon flavors balanced with the bitters from the hops.  I'm going to have a hard time sharing these.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I've had a couple of the Potato Cream Ale with Blueberries.  With all of the color you'd think it would be a blueberry bomb, but it isn't.  There is definitely blueberry flavor and aroma, but not overpowering.  To be honest it's just about right for me, and a nice session beer.  I like it.

Last night I bottled the Melon IPA.  I was extremely pleased with the sample.  Nice melon flavors balanced with the bitters from the hops.  I'm going to have a hard time sharing these.

Fruit beers are best when it is a bit sublime.  I'd definitely drink one of those blueberries.  The first wine I ever made was from blueberries.  I've had a couple really good blueberry beers from Maine.