Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Feeling the growl again

I enjoyed my first bottle over the weekend.  I think that this is going to be my go to fall beer.  Next year I'll use a little more smoked malt, but otherwise this is solid.

As usual, I'd drink that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A friend just put this recipe on Facebook, I'm putting it here to reference later

Fresh Calamansi Saison beer (Abnormal Brewing co)

10 bbls
      Mash: 152F
      385# Weyermann Pils
      55# White Wheat
      50# Flaked Oats
      1.5# Eureka 60 min 18.2%AA
      Yeast: Safale T-58
      Knockout at 80F and free rise to 85
      OG: 1.056
      FG: 1.008
      60# Calamansi fruit juiced and added at the tail end of primary

Prince of Fatness

Scotch Oaked Wee Heavy

After 3 - 4 week primary rack to secondary on top of oak cubes that have been soaked in Glen Livet Scotch.  Pour the Scotch in as well.  Let sit for 2 months then bottle.

Peat Heavy

This is my standard Scottish Ale recipe, except this time I wanted to try out some peat smoked malt.

Brewed a batch Sunday combining the two concepts above.

Peat Bog - 3 Gallons

6 lb Golden Promise

1.25 lb Light Munich Malt

12 oz Peat Smoked Malt

3 oz Roasted Barley

.5 oz  Fuggle Hops (3.8% AA) 60 mins

.5 oz  Fuggle Hops (3.8% AA) 45 mins

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast - no starter

Mash 153 degrees for 60 minutes.  Take two quarts of the first runnings and boil down separately to the consistency of maple syrup.  Should be about a pint.  Add that back into the main boil with 10 minutes left.  60 minute boil.  Chill and pitch yeast.

After 3 - 4 week primary rack to secondary on top of oak cubes that have been soaked in Ardbeg 10 Scotch.  Pour the Scotch in as well.  Let sit for 2 months then bottle.

OG was 1.076

Go Islay or go home!

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I would so. SO drink that!!  I'll send a Black Note in exchange.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I already have a Black Note, but wouldn't refuse another.

My plan for this batch is to set them aside and let them age. I'm finding that the oaked beers that I have brewed are much better after an extended period of aging. So you're looking at 2018 before you'd see one of these.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wink

I already have a Black Note, but wouldn't refuse another.

tim uf

Upgraded: Sort of Broken

Peat Heavy

This is my standard Scottish Ale recipe, except this time I wanted to try out some peat smoked malt.

Brewed a batch Sunday combining the two concepts above.

Peat Bog - 3 Gallons

6 lb Golden Promise

1.25 lb Light Munich Malt

12 oz Peat Smoked Malt

3 oz Roasted Barley

.5 oz  Fuggle Hops (3.8% AA) 60 mins

.5 oz  Fuggle Hops (3.8% AA) 45 mins

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast - no starter

Mash 153 degrees for 60 minutes.  Take two quarts of the first runnings and boil down separately to the consistency of maple syrup.  Should be about a pint.  Add that back into the main boil with 10 minutes left.  60 minute boil.  Chill and pitch yeast.

After 3 - 4 week primary rack to secondary on top of oak cubes that have been soaked in Ardbeg 10 Scotch.  Pour the Scotch in as well.  Let sit for 2 months then bottle.

OG was 1.076

Go Islay or go home!

NotRaceCoach loves Islay scotch. Laphroig, Ardbeg, etc. peatier the better

Chill, be mellow, and be in a mood for embracing the sun.

"ooohhh, what is the malted liquor, what gets you drunker quicker,
                  what comes in bottles or in cans?
                  BEER!"

Prince of Fatness

Maris Otter / Challenger SMaSH (11 quarts)

10 lbs Maris Otter

1 oz Challenger (6.5% AA) 60 minutes

Wyeast 1028 London Ale (1 qt starter)

Mash 151 for 90 minutes.  Draw 2 quartts of the first runnings and boil them down separately to about a pint (add back to main boil with 10 minutes left).  Boil remaining wort for 2 hours.  Chill and pitch yeast.  Bottle in 4 - 5 weeks.

For the mash and sparge I am going to use the cooler instead of the pot and the bag.  Larger grain bills are harder to drain and manage and I am thinking that this will make it easier.

This is about as simple of a barleywine recipe as it gets.  Curious as to what the color will be with the extended boiling.

I've been slacking.  Time to brew again. The beer quoted is drinking well so I want to do another big beer SMaSH. I am taking this coming Monday off and will brew then.

The process will be the same as above with a change in ingredients. Malt will be Light Munich. Hops, German Tradition (3oz). Yeast, Wyeast German Ale (1007). I pitched a starter last night.

I expect this to be a malt bomb, an Alt on steroids.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sounds like it needs to sit in a bourbon barrel for a year or so.

I expect this to be a malt bomb, an Alt on steroids.

Prince of Fatness

Sounds like it needs to sit in a bourbon barrel for a year or so.

You're gonna keep nagging me until I dump a batch of beer into a barrel, aren't you? Someday.

But for these SMaSH beers I'm looking to see what flavors I get from a simple recipe.  For barrel aging I'd probably go with something like a stout and throw some adjuncts in there with the beer.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Feeling the growl again

You're gonna keep nagging me until I dump a batch of beer into a barrel, aren't you? Someday.

But for these SMaSH beers I'm looking to see what flavors I get from a simple recipe.  For barrel aging I'd probably go with something like a stout and throw some adjuncts in there with the beer.

These all sound dangerous.  I volunteer to taste them.  You know, for safety's sake.

Prince of Fatness

I'm about as low on home brew stock as I have been in a few years.  There are a couple of batches pending bottling but those will be for long term aging.  This weekend I will brew a batch for immediate consumption.  Thinking spring here.

Creamsicle Wit

2.75 lbs US 2 Row Malt

1.50 lbs Wheat Malt

0.50 lbs Flaked Wheat

0.50 lbs Flaked Oat

Hops undecided, but hop to style

Adjuncts

Zest of 1 orange, add to mash

Zest of 1 orange, add at flameout

3 vanilla beans, split open, add at flameout

Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier (blowoff tube mandatory with this yeast, no starter)

Mash 152 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.

The grain bill is from a wit that I brewed a couple of years ago.  I really like adding some flaked oats to a wit.  I've tasted some creamsicle beers and liked them so why not give it a try.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I just got done bottling a small batch of barleywine.

This one was batch 30.  I brewed it on President's Day, 2012.  I had one bottle left and decided to drink it yesterday, on President's Day 5 years later.  Age did not hurt it one bit.

Not at it at all.