Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Feeling the growl again

I would sacrifice my taste buds to inform you on the result.

So I'll go with 2 habaneros and will lightly roast them prior to brewing.  Brewing tomorrow evening.

Mole Stout

5.5 lbs US 2 Row

1 lb Light Munich

1 lb Flaked Barley

6 oz Roasted Barley

6 oz Chocolate Malt

6 oz CaraFoam

6 oz CaraMunich II

6 oz Blackstrap Molasses (oz by weight, add with 10 minutes left in the boil.

1 scoop coffee also added to the mash

1 oz Northern Brewer (~10% AA) hops (60 minutes)

Adjuncts (all pre-steeped then added at flame out)

2 oz cocao nibs

3 - 4 cinnamon sticks, broken up

2 vanilla beans, slit open

2 habanero peppers, lightly roasted and halved

SafeAle US-05 dry yeast

Mash 152 for 60 minutes.  Boil for 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.  Primary for ~4 weeks then bottle.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

I would sacrifice my taste buds to inform you on the result.

This is another one that will go through an aging process before distribution.  My home brew inventory is very low right now and what I do have needs to age.  I will have a Creamsicle Wit for you soon, tho.

I did some prepping last night.  Measured out and crushed grains.  I also roasted the peppers in the toaster oven.  They didn't need to be in there long before the skin started blistering.  Per Trent's recommendation I left them in there on low for several hours to dry them out some more.  They were quite shriveled up by the time that I was done.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

TWSS

They were quite shriveled up by the time that I was done.

Prince of Fatness

Results:

After I had the mash going I mixed up all of the adjuncts into a Pyrex measuring bowl.  Peppers and vanilla beans were sliced open.  Cocao nibs dumped in.  Cinnamon sticks were coarsely crushed.  I ended up using about 8 of them.  They were smaller than I remember.  Came to about 1.25 oz.

I brought a pint of water to a boil and dumped that on top of everything.  I left that in the oven on warm while the brew was going on, and would say that I took it out and stirred maybe 4 times.  Total pre-steeping time was probably about 2.5 hours.  That all got dumped into the wort at flame out, so it steeped in there while the wort was cooling, about an hour.

The sample tasted real good.  As far as the spices go, it is cinnamon forward in both aroma and flavor.  The heat form the peppers is about what I was looking for, definitely not in your face but there is no mistaking it was there.  Pepper aficionados would want more for sure, but for me I would say it is almost perfect.  I probably could have tolerated three peppers but no more.  I'm glad that I used two because I think that one wouldn't have been enough.  All in all I am quite please with the results.  We'll see how it is once it ferments out.

I'm going to experiment with this extended steeping some more, including with flame out hop additions.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

Atypical Coffee Beer 2016

11 lbs Vienna Malt

4 lbs Flaked Maize

Hops all Willamette (5.1% AA)

1 oz 60 mins

1 oz 45 mins

A day before steep 1/2 lb of coffee in a quart of water.  Strain and add coffee at flame out.

Zest four lemons and add at flame out.

Safale US-05 dry yeast (2 packs)

Mash 149 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.

I tweaked the coffee and lemon a little.  I want a little more coffee and a little less lemon.

The annual tradition continues.  I'll be brewing up a 5 gallon batch of this in my garage on Saturday.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Forgot to post this the other day.

Brewed a repeat of my triple decoction imperial stout in honor of the 8 gallon bourbon maple syrup barrel I ordered, to arrive next week.

Grain bill:
                - 20 lbs Corsair Southern Biscuit Malt
                - 4 lbs Weyerman Pilsner
                - 4.5 lbs roasted barley
                - 7.0 oz black patent barley
                - 2 lbs chocolate malt
                - 1 lb dark chocolate malt
                - 2.3 lbs cara 60% malt
                - 1.7 lbs cara 120% malt
                - 3.5 lbs munich 20% malt
                - 2.6 lbs flaked barley
                Total = 43 lbs

Hops bill:
                - 4 oz kent goldings for 60 minutes
                - 4 oz fuggles for 20 minutes

Yeast: White Labs Dry English Ale, WLP007 and White Labs California Ale, WLP001 plus same from slurry leftover from FMb2, reconstituted in amber DME as a starter.

My mash math:
                - Strike Water Temperature Tw = ((.2/R)(T2 - T1) + T2); r is ratio of water to grain in quarts/lb, usually 1-1.2
                = ((0.2/1.2)(97-65)+97) = 102°F (51 qts = 12.75 gal)

Mash in 12.75 gallons at 102°. Triple decoction mash with boilings close to 30-40 minutes, each decoction will pull off ~4 gal:
                - Decoc 1: Acid rest 97° x 90 minutes
                - Decoc 2: Protein rest 122-133° x 85 minutes
                - Decoc 3: Sacchrification rest 149-158° x 65 minutes

Sparge with first runnings at 19 plato (1.079 SG). Then boil the shit out of it till you hit 26.9 plato (1.115 SG).

Pitch a two liter starter using yeast nutrients and energizer, oxygenate with pure O2 (or vigorous agitation) for one minute at 70°.

This is for an 8 gallon batch.

Brew Day, April 1, 2017
                - 48 quarts tap water heated to 105-110°F, let rest 120 minutes before taking out for boil
                - Boiled 18 quarts for 30 minutes, added back, ~130°F
                - After ~90 minutes, boiled 16 quarts for 35 minutes, added back, ~154°F
                - First runnings 1.100 x 2.5 gal
                - Second runnings after sparge 1.100 x 3.5 gal.
                - Third runnings 1.060 x 4.5 gal
                - Fourth runnings 1.060 x 3.0 gal
                - End with 9.5 gallons @ SG 1.120, cooled overnight

April 2, 2017
                - Cooled overnight to 110°F, pitched yeast. Activity by midafternoon

April 4, 2017
                - Evening, aerated and added nutrients.
                - SG 1.040 +/- = 65% attenuation so far, 10.5% ABV

Feeling the growl again

Forgot to post this the other day.

Brewed a repeat of my triple decoction imperial stout in honor of the 8 gallon bourbon maple syrup barrel I ordered, to arrive next week.

Grain bill:
                  - 20 lbs Corsair Southern Biscuit Malt
                  - 4 lbs Weyerman Pilsner
                  - 4.5 lbs roasted barley
                  - 7.0 oz black patent barley
                  - 2 lbs chocolate malt
                  - 1 lb dark chocolate malt
                  - 2.3 lbs cara 60% malt
                  - 1.7 lbs cara 120% malt
                  - 3.5 lbs munich 20% malt
                  - 2.6 lbs flaked barley
                  Total = 43 lbs

Hops bill:
                  - 4 oz kent goldings for 60 minutes
                  - 4 oz fuggles for 20 minutes

Yeast: White Labs Dry English Ale, WLP007 and White Labs California Ale, WLP001 plus same from slurry leftover from FMb2, reconstituted in amber DME as a starter.

My mash math:
                  - Strike Water Temperature Tw = ((.2/R)(T2 - T1) + T2); r is ratio of water to grain in quarts/lb, usually 1-1.2
                  = ((0.2/1.2)(97-65)+97) = 102°F (51 qts = 12.75 gal)

Mash in 12.75 gallons at 102°. Triple decoction mash with boilings close to 30-40 minutes, each decoction will pull off ~4 gal:
                  - Decoc 1: Acid rest 97° x 90 minutes
                  - Decoc 2: Protein rest 122-133° x 85 minutes
                  - Decoc 3: Sacchrification rest 149-158° x 65 minutes

Sparge with first runnings at 19 plato (1.079 SG). Then boil the shit out of it till you hit 26.9 plato (1.115 SG).

Pitch a two liter starter using yeast nutrients and energizer, oxygenate with pure O2 (or vigorous agitation) for one minute at 70°.

This is for an 8 gallon batch.

Brew Day, April 1, 2017
                  - 48 quarts tap water heated to 105-110°F, let rest 120 minutes before taking out for boil
                  - Boiled 18 quarts for 30 minutes, added back, ~130°F
                  - After ~90 minutes, boiled 16 quarts for 35 minutes, added back, ~154°F
                  - First runnings 1.100 x 2.5 gal
                  - Second runnings after sparge 1.100 x 3.5 gal.
                  - Third runnings 1.060 x 4.5 gal
                  - Fourth runnings 1.060 x 3.0 gal
                  - End with 9.5 gallons @ SG 1.120, cooled overnight

April 2, 2017
                  - Cooled overnight to 110°F, pitched yeast. Activity by midafternoon

April 4, 2017
                  - Evening, aerated and added nutrients.
                  - SG 1.040 +/- = 65% attenuation so far, 10.5% ABV

That sounds complex...and tasty.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Batch 1 was deeply complex and very tasty. It spent time in a rye whiskey barrel with cocoa nibs, cinnamon, vanilla and hot peppers.

This is batch 3. I put it into a 100% rye whiskey barrel that then held 100% grade A maple syrup. Oh dear!

Batch 2 is in a different rye whiskey barrel right now, sleeping off its hard edges...

Feeling the growl again

Batch 1 was deeply complex and very tasty. It spent time in a rye whiskey barrel with cocoa nibs, cinnamon, vanilla and hot peppers.

This is batch 3. I put it into a 100% rye whiskey barrel that then held 100% grade A maple syrup. Oh dear!

Batch 2 is in a different rye whiskey barrel right now, sleeping off its hard edges...

I think I need to taste it.

I wore my Monkey Marathon shirt the other day.  My wife really likes the graphics and told me I need to run it again to get another shirt...three times over two days.  This tells me she means it.  I'm going to get a fork in the deltoid if I ignore such signals.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Feeling the growl again

Get down here.

I may actually be able to finish a marathon by this fall.

Prince of Fatness

Mole Stout

Bottled a week ago.  Cinnamon forward with some subtle heat from the peppers.  FG was a sweet 1.022.  I like it.

The annual tradition continues.  I'll be brewing up a 5 gallon batch of this in my garage on Saturday.

Bottled the Atypical Coffee Beer 2017 last night.  Love the combination of coffee and lemon.  FG was a dry 1.010.  Of all of my recipes I think that this is my favorite.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Brewed small batch this past Friday.  Going with a strong Belgian loosely based on my Dubbel recipe.

Belgian Dark Strong Ale

5 lb US 2-row

1 lb Light Munich

1 lb Flaked Oats

.25 lb Special B

1 lb D-180 Candi Syrup (add with 10 minutes left in boil)

1 oz UK Challenger 6.8% AA (60 min)

Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II (1 qt starter)

Mash 150 degrees for 60 minutes.  Sparge, then boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.  Ferment 3 or 4 weeks then bottle.  Try to ferment this one in the 70's.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Brewed small batch this past Friday.  Going with a strong Belgian loosely based on my Dubbel recipe.

Belgian Dark Strong Ale

5 lb US 2-row

1 lb Light Munich

1 lb Flaked Oats

.25 lb Special B

1 lb D-180 Candi Syrup (add with 10 minutes left in boil)

1 oz UK Challenger 6.8% AA (60 min)

Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II (1 qt starter)

Mash 150 degrees for 60 minutes.  Sparge, then boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.  Ferment 3 or 4 weeks then bottle.  Try to ferment this one in the 70's.

Can't say I wouldn't drink that.  Perhaps the bottle of Dark Lord I'm thinking of topping off your next box with will tip the scales...