Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You got DL this year??

Prince of Fatness

You got DL this year??

I saw on untappd that he and Whodat were there this year.

Spaniel, the one I just brewed will need to sit but I'll have Atypical and a Mole Stout to send out there. Just need to find a few more items. A few weeks.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Man, I wish I had known. I'd have sent in an order Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In other news, my batch 2 of my BA mole imperial stout has soured in the barrel. We had some suspicion that Yazoo messed up the barrel when they had it, and after 6 months in said barrel the beer has a pH of 3.44.

But it tastes good.

So I may keep it in the barrel and add some fruit and funky bugs this Summer. Roll with the punches.

And I moved the barrel away from my other barrels...

Prince of Fatness

In other news, my batch 2 of my BA mole imperial stout has soured in the barrel.

I have an unsoured mole stout for you.  I'm pleased with how it turned out.  Probably will have enough for a small box to send your way in about a month or so.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I'm in the mood to brew an IPA and also want to experiment.  I've been wanting to focus more on flameout hop additions and found this article.

http://www.bear-flavored.com/2013/07/the-benefits-of-hop-stand-whirlpool.html

I am a big fan of post boil additions in general and the article has me intrigued.  So, I am changing around the hop schedule.

Amarillo IPA (11 qts)

7.0 lb 2 row malt

.25 lb Carafoam malt

.25 lb Crystal 20L malt

All Amarillo hops 7.0% AA

.5 oz first wort

.5 oz 60 min

1.5 oz flameout

1.5 oz once wort reaches ~170 degrees

1 oz 7 day dry hop

Safale US-05 dry yeast (no starter)

Mash 151 for 60 minutes.  Boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

You got DL this year??

Whodat scored tickets so I drove and bought the beer.  What a day.  Next time, hotel and/or Uber.

The people watching was epic.

We both got the peppered version as our special one.  I'm going to let that sit at least a couple years.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am always ISO some Smile

Prince of Fatness

I brewed the IPA last night and was cleaned up by 9:30.  I'll admit that it was strange brewing an IPA and not adding any hops late in the boil.  The sample had plenty of hop flavor though, so we'll see.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I bottled up the Belgian Strong Dark Ale last night.  It came out nice.  Alcohol is noticeable but not overbearing.  FG was 1.012 yielding 8.9% ABV.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I bottled up the Belgian Strong Dark Ale last night.  It came out nice.  Alcohol is noticeable but not overbearing.  FG was 1.012 yielding 8.9% ABV.

I'd take one for the team

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I have some home brews to send out that way but not this one just yet.  I am bottling the IPA tomorrow and want to include that.  It would be after the 4th.  Need a good weather window.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Summer is here and I have fresh potatoes from my garden.  That means it's time to brew a 5 gallon batch of potato cream ale.  I'll be doing that tomorrow.  Last year I added blueberries.  This year it will be roasted grapes.  I have 6 or 7 lbs of grapes that will be roasted this evening.  I expect that the kitchen will smell like grape jam when I am done.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Summer is here and I have fresh potatoes from my garden.  That means it's time to brew a 5 gallon batch of potato cream ale.  I'll be doing that tomorrow.  Last year I added blueberries.  This year it will be roasted grapes.  I have 6 or 7 lbs of grapes that will be roasted this evening.  I expect that the kitchen will smell like grape jam when I am done.

Hmm.  Perhaps sometime we should get you some stuff from my vineyard/orchard to use.

My BIL may also be giving me a few hop tubers....

Feeling the growl again

I was over at my BIL's house yesterday and he showed me where he and the neighbor had discovered hops growing on the property line.  Nobody knows if they are wild or escaped stock from long ago.  The neighbor dug some up and is talking about having them genotyped to determine that, but they are probably native.  I guess the nearest brewery (Quaff On) is going to experiment with these with the goal of making a beer with native hops.

We dug up a pot full of rhizomes and roots.  I'm going to try and get them started, though timing for the year is not ideal.

If this works, I may need someone to make these things into beer as I haven't taken that leap yet.