Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gonna be boozy AF. ISO

Ostrich runner

I've thought about making a breakfast beer with the same ingredients just so that I can call it morning wood.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I'm starting to brew again - I brewed for a 8 or ten years and it's been about that long since I have. I haven't worked out my recipe in full yet, but I'm trying a bit of an experiment. I'm going to use a combination of maple, hickory, and poplar syrups along with light malt and some wheat. I'm aiming for more subtle than the ingredients might sound. A brown, I suppose.

I'm a fool for a good brown ale.  If my hops take perhaps you can use them.  With the extreme drought I think this fall's planting is a loss, but I'll try again in the spring.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Cherrywood Smoked Altbier (5.25 gals)

This turned out nice so I have made it a fall traditional. Brewing in the garage brew house this Saturday.

Cherrywood smoked malt is the shit.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

This turned out nice so I have made it a fall traditional. Brewing in the garage brew house this Saturday.

Cherrywood smoked malt is the shit.

That sounds yummy...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Tomorrow is brew day.  Got the equipment out of storage and have cleaned it.  Thunder suggested that I try a tweak to the oatmeal stout that was planned: breakfast stout.  AKA Oatmeal and molasses stout.  I have done some research and it appears that molasses complements a dark beer incredibly well.  Sooo...

• 5 lbs 2 row American Malt
              • 5 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
              • 1 lb Chocolate Malt
              • 1 lb Roasted Barley
              • 1 lb 60l Crystal Malt
              • ~3-4 lbs steel cut oats
              • 2 oz Hallertau
              • 2 oz Golden
              • 2 oz Cascade
              • Wyeast British Ale II yeast
              • ~10 oz dark blackstrap molasses

Every Thanksgiving Saturday I brew a 5 gallon batch in my garage.  I hadn't given much thought to what I want to brew then this popped into my head.  I remember it being good (hopefully it wasn't the mud because I don't have much of that).

Thinking a breakfast type oatmeal stout, but instead I am going to use maple syrup instead of molasses.  Recipe is being finalized but will be similar to the one quoted above.  I'll also prime with the maple syrup when bottling.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

It's hard to believe that the holidays are almost upon us.  Time flies.  So, with that in mind I was thinking of something holiday-ish but with a reasonable ABV.  I came up with this, which I will brew this evening.....

Gingerbread Bitter (11 qts)

5.5 lbs Maris Otter Malt

Hops all Fuggle (5.0% AA)

.5 oz 60 mins

.5 oz 30 mins

~2 oz ginger root, grated (add at flameout)

A few days beforehand, toast 1 lb of the malt at 300 for 25 minutes.

Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley yeast, no starter.

Mash 152 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Every Thanksgiving Saturday I brew a 5 gallon batch in my garage.  I hadn't given much thought to what I want to brew then this popped into my head.  I remember it being good (hopefully it wasn't the mud because I don't have much of that).

Thinking a breakfast type oatmeal stout, but instead I am going to use maple syrup instead of molasses.  Recipe is being finalized but will be similar to the one quoted above.  I'll also prime with the maple syrup when bottling.

The day is almost here.  Recipe is finished.

Oatmeal Maple Stout (5 gals)

5 lbs US 2 Row Malt

4.5 lbs Maris Otter Malt

1 lb Light Munich Malt

1 lb Roasted Barley

1 lb Chocolate Malt

3 lb Flaked Oats

6 oz Carafoam Malt

2 oz Crystal 20L Malt

1.5 lbs Maple Syrup (add at flameout)

Hops all Willamette (4.8% AA)

2 oz 60 mins

Wyeast 1318 London Ale yeast, 1 qt starter.

Mash 154 for a 75 minutes.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.  Prime with maple syrup.

Priming.  There are plenty of calculators out there for table sugar but maple syrup can be variable in the amount of sugar per weight.  So, I will mix an equal weight of each in the same volume of water (say 1 oz in 1 cup for argument sake) and take a gravity reading of each.  This way I can use the calculator value for table sugar and back into the number for maple syrup using the ratio from the gravity readings.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Prince of Fatness

IWDT

There is one in the box that I will soon be sending your way.

The maple is subtle.  I'm not sure how commercial products have so much maple flavor.  Either they use an extract of some sort or kill off the yeast before adding the maple syrup.  Anyway, the priming calculations that I did worked like a charm.  It's a solid oatmeal stout if nothing else.

Since then I brewed up a big SMaSH using Pilsner malt and Saaz hops.  That's in the bottle and should be ready for sampling soon.  I also brewed up a brown ale which is still in the fermenting bucket.  To that I added cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and orange zest.  I want to brew again this weekend.  Looking at an amber with hops from Australia / New Zealand.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

They all filter and pasteurize, and then force carbonate. The maple gets added at the end.

Prince of Fatness

Bottled the Atypical Coffee Beer 2017 last night.  Love the combination of coffee and lemon.  FG was a dry 1.010.  Of all of my recipes I think that this is my favorite.

Brewed this again in early April.  Now I have two more cases of it.  This is definitely my favorite recipe.

My brewing has slowed a little but I will make some time for it tomorrow.  I'm going to roast up some white grapes tonight then tomorrow I will brew a saison and add the grapes to it.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Of interest to MrFinn, NRC, Tim, and spaniel ...

So some of us over in L&O are doing a collabeeration challenge. We all will start with essentially the same recipe and then vary it, then share bottles around among those of us participating.

Here is the basic recipe for the challenge -

Grain bill:
                          66% 2-row
                          12% Rye malt
                          12% Wheat malt
                          10% Brewer's choice malts (can even be more base malt)

Fruit, spices, or an other non-grain adjunct are fair game and do not count in the 10%.
                          Hops and yeast are brewer's choice

OG 1.045 - 1.055
                          IBU 35 - 50

Today I brewed mine. I'll post the actual recipe after the challenge is done. I went with a 3 stage infusion mash with a protein rest, a beta amylase rest and an alpha amylase rest. It went well, although the infusions did not quite hit the rest temperatures so I had to do some direct heat as well. No worries. I ended up hitting my expected SG of 1.070 with 5.5 gallons, and then infused water to bring down the temperature and to drop the SG to the goal above. Yeast is pitched, and so here we go.

I bottled the remainder of this last night. Since the original brewing, the beer went on 3 x ~1.5 lb/gal of fresh local peaches, spent a year in a Hungarian oak barrel that previously held two batches of Spaniel's home-brewed wine, and let rest. It is loaded full of funk, tart and fruit. We got about 4.75 gal.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Since I am reviving Zombies, the 5 gallon barrel that launched this discussion has been used as follows:

- Tuthilltown aged their rye whiskey in it

- I aged my big imperial stout in it, then finished with mole spices

- I aged my big barleywine in it, then finished with toasted coconut

- I aged my old ale in it

- I now have a Utopias clone in it, which I will eventually finish with maple syrup and bottle still

The barrel has been in my possession for around 4 years, is still going strong. The original rye character is long gone, but it brings flavor from each prior batch or two into the next. Well worthy.

This is the part of the process that I was interested in.  I was wondering if you would have to "prime" the barrel, moisten it so that would not leak.  As for reusing it, I am not sure how interested I am in doing that.  I would imagine that you would only get so many uses, assuming that you want the effect of the liquor flavor in the beer.  Either way I am thinking that if I ever get into something like this I would prefer to do it with a smaller batch which would probably mean that I would be dealing with a barrel from a smaller distillery.  Just a guess there.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bottled this as well. Since brewing near 3 years ago, it spent 2 years in a sorghum whiskey barrel from Old Sugar Distillery. The second year, it aged with ~2 lb/gal of local blackberries my wife and I picked. It spent the last year in glass. The beer is super jammy, tart from the fruit, a bit boozy, and full of raisin, leather, wheat malts. Can't wait to try it carbed up.

So I have a 10 gal sorghum whiskey (rum??) barrel that I need to fill. Planned on this -

Sorghum Wheat Wine

(modified from: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=117610)

Grain Bill:
                              - 8 lbs Red Wheat Malt
                              - 8 lbs White Wheat Malt
                              - 10 lbs Biscuit Malt
                              - 7 lbs Pilsen malt
                              - 1 lbs Caramel Wheat
                              - 1 lbs Honey Malt
                              Total = 35 lbs

Hops / Adjuncts Bill:
                              - 2.5 oz Northern Brewer [9.30 %] (60 min) 41.5 IBU
                              - 1.5 oz Magnum [11.50 %] (60 min) 30.8 IBU
                              - 4.0 oz Fuggles [3.50 %] (30 min) 12.8 IBU
                              - 3.0 oz Fuggles [3.50 %] (5 min)
                              - 2 lbs dark Sorghum

Yeast:
                              - Dry English Ale (WLP007)

Targets:
                              - OG - 1.107
                              - FG - 1.027
                              - ABV - 10.49
                              - SRM - 17.7

Mash (from recipe link):
                              - Protein Rest: Added 12 qt of water at 145°F (122°F for 30 min)
                              - Saccharification: Added 16 qt of water at 190°F (150°F for 90 min)
                              - Used LOTS of rice hulls.

My mash math:
                              (Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/R)(T2 - T1) + T2; r is ratio of water to grain in quarts/lb)
                              (Step infusion volume of boiling water Wa = (T2 - T1)(0.2G + Wm)/(212 - T2))

- Protein Rest: ((0.2/0.5)(122-65) + 122) = 145°F (17.5 quarts)
                              - Saccharification: (150 - 122)(0.2*35 + 17.5)/(212 - 150) = 11.5 quarts boiling water
                              -> total 29 quarts = 7.25 gallons

35 lbs grain + 7.25 gallons is way too much for my 10 gal cooler system...so...

Grain Bill part 1:
                              - 7 lbs Pilsen malt
                              - 1 lbs Caramel Wheat
                              - 1 lbs Honey Malt
                              Total = 9 lbs, target 4 gal

Targets:
                              - OG - 1.062
                              - FG - 1.015
                              - ABV - 6.09%

Grain Bill part 2:
                              - 8 lbs Red Wheat Malt
                              - 8 lbs White Wheat Malt
                              - 10 lbs Biscuit Malt
                              Total = 26 lbs, target 7 gal

Targets (s/c sorghum)
                              - OG - 1.104 / 1.117
                              - FG - 1.026 / 1.029
                              - ABV - 10.27% / 11.51%

Combined - ((11.51*7)+(6.09*4))/11 = 9.5%

My math
                              - Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/R)(T2 - T1) + T2; r is ratio of water to grain in quarts/lb
                              - Step infusion volume of boiling water Wa = (T2 - T1)(0.2G + Wm)/(212 - T2)

Part 1 —
                              - Protein Rest: ((0.2/1)(122-65) + 122) = 135°F (9 quarts)
                              - Saccharification: ((150-122)(0.2*9 + 9))/(212-150) = 4.8 quarts boiling water

Part 2 -
                              - Protein Rest: ((0.2/1)(122-65) + 122) = 135°F (26 quarts)
                              - Saccharification: ((150-122)((0.2*26 + 26))/(212-150) = 14 quarts boiling water
                              ————————————————————————————————————

July 9, 2015 -
                              - Split wort, batch 1 today. 9 quarts of water heated to 135°F put into pre-warmed tun, added pilsen and honey malt, caramel wheat
                              - Set at 125°F x 30 minutes for protein rest, then added 5 quarts boiling water with temp rising to 145°F
                              - Add another quart water boiled with 1 quart drawn wort, temp ~145°F, so will let at temp a bit longer than 90 minutes.
                              - First runnings at 120 minutes SG 1.065, seemed to stick a bit on the cooler drain
                              - Sparge with 4 quarts at 180°F, with second runnings 1.035 x ~ 3 quarts
                              - Boil with 1.5 oz Magnum x 60 mins
                              - Yield 4 gal @ SG 1.060

July 10, 2015 -
                              - Pitched 2 vials Dry English Ale (WLP007) in AM