Drinkers with a Running Problem

Wine vs. Beer (Read 349 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Beer in the Headlights. Sales are flat. Wine is ascendant. How did this happen? Interesting article in Slate. I suppose I'm part of this shift, because I started out as a beer drinker, but now drink way more wine than I do beer (although warm weather and grilling has brought about an increase in my beer drinking).
    Wine had a prominent place at this new Mediterranean table—it was now part of a "lifestyle," while beer remained just a drink. The power of these linguistic associations can be measured: A Google search of beer and passion yields 1.48 million entries, while wine and passion yields four times that; a search of beer and lifestyle yields 1.6 million entries; wine and lifestyle turns up 13 million. ...marketers know what it means: intangible values attached to material goods. Or: serious bank. Beer executives are in the process of trying to limit their product's associations with certain lifestyles—"frat-boy animal house," for example, or "devotees of the brown bag Bud lunch"—without alienating those core audiences; beer marketers seem torn between broadening their appeal and energizing their base. But brand repositioning has to be at least somewhat convincing: In 2005, Anheuser-Busch released a malt liquor called Bistro 8, a "new fermented beverage created in collaboration with Master Chefs to complement Bistro Fare. Bistro 8 features the aromas of exotic fruits, spices and citrus.…" Bud executives pulled it. Wine marketers have it comparatively easy. They merely summon a picture of a bucolic vineyard or people raising their glasses around a table full of food—they don't have to sell their selling points. This is why brewers have been frantically pushing beer-and-food pairings lately. Beer—which can be great with food, by the way—is in danger of being left out of the American mealtime, banished to the den (only when pro sports are on) or to the back porch (only for the early rounds of grilling).
    For me, part of the problem is the availability of good beer in Alabama. I don't drink macrobrews if there's a good alternative, but AL seems to have limited selection. Also, they have an arcane law that doesn't allow the sale of beer with >6% alcohol content. Recent attempts to leave Prohibition era thinking behind failed -- a law that would up the limit to 14.9% failed. Yeah, as if kids trying to get hammered are going to buy an expensive imported micro-brewed stout. Asshat legislators (see below).
    The Alabama House said "no" Tuesday to a bill that would have increased the alcohol content allowed in beer sold in Alabama.Rep. Thomas Jackson, D-Thomasville, sponsored the bill, which he said would have allowed the sale of some imported and gourmet beers that have a higher alcohol content than the 6 percent now allowed. Jackson's bill would have increased the allowable alcohol content to 14.9 percent.The bill failed on a 49-39 vote, short of the two-thirds vote required to bring the measure up for a vote. "I can't see us doing something that's going to encourage people to drink more and get drunk faster," said Rep. DuWayne *asshat*Bridges, D-Valley.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

Yeah, I think that there's a big cultural issue in America going many years back. Considering we're a country founded on immigrants, a number of whom brewed beer (my great grandfather brewed his own beer in his basement through most of Prohibition, apparently). In PA, there are a number of regional brewers, and some that have even gained quite a following in other states (Yuengling chief among those, but I'm seeing Victory in more bars in other states). I know from my friend that AL has really goofy liquor laws, and I think that's one of the big reasons why you don't see as much as maybe I do (despite PA's goofy liquor laws, too). As for wine being more accepted than beer.....I think again it's a cultural issue. Wine carries a certain distinction in this country that beer does not. Beer is considered common, and not a very nuanced beverage, unlike wine. All of that is untrue, of course, but I think that it really is an ingrained sort of perception. Personally, I almost never drink wine or liquor, sticking exclusively to beer. But that's my preference.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would say that my drinking of wine and beer is about equal. I probably drink 40% wine, 40% beer and 20% "other." k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As for wine being more accepted than beer.....I think again it's a cultural issue. Wine carries a certain distinction in this country that beer does not. Beer is considered common, and not a very nuanced beverage, unlike wine. All of that is untrue, of course, but I think that it really is an ingrained sort of perception.
          That's probably true in most of the US, but that's one advantage to having grown up in WI and having spent time in the UK and around folks who are fairly well-traveled...we don't have those erroneous notions about our alcoholic beverages. There are still folks who categorize hard ciders as the sort of thing ingested by tasteless underagers, too, but I have had some excellent dry, hard ciders in the UK. I would kill to find K cider around here (I like to tell people that it's MY cider). We actually have one place in Grand Rapids that carries it, but it's a lower alcohol version of the 8% stuff abroad. Sad. k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yeah, I think that there's a big cultural issue in America going many years back. Considering we're a country founded on immigrants, a number of whom brewed beer (my great grandfather brewed his own beer in his basement through most of Prohibition, apparently).
            Go Grandpa It's your birthday We gonna party like it's your birthday. Your great grand-pappy rocks.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

As for wine being more accepted than beer.....I think again it's a cultural issue. Wine carries a certain distinction in this country that beer does not. Beer is considered common, and not a very nuanced beverage, unlike wine. All of that is untrue, of course, but I think that it really is an ingrained sort of perception.
              You are correct. But unfortunately, I have a much harder time getting nuanced beer here! Sad

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I would say that my drinking of wine and beer is about equal. I probably drink 40% wine, 40% beer and 20% "other."
                That sounds like the makings of a rough night. Oh, you didn't mean at the same time. Silly me! Tongue

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That sounds like the makings of a rough night. Oh, you didn't mean at the same time. Silly me! Tongue
                  I've probably done that on occasion, but not to excess...maybe 2 beers, 2 glasses of vino, 1 mixed drink.... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've probably done that on occasion, but not to excess...maybe 2 beers, 2 glasses of vino, 1 mixed drink....
                    That sounds like the makings of a fun night!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

1 bourbon, 1 shot, 1 beer.... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

1 bourbon, 1 shotscotch, 1 beer.... Tongue k

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

1 bourbon, 1 shot, 1 beer....
                          Ha! You must have ESPN or something, because that I sang that out loud when I read your last post. Big grin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I always thought it was shot...maybe it's a shot o' scotch...? Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I always thought it was shot...maybe it's a shot o' scotch...? Big grin k
                              I'm sure it was a shot of scotch Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hah, I just Googled...it is Scotch. Me no likey Scotch or George Thorogood...must be why I messed that lyric up.

~ Sarah Kay