Drinkers with a Running Problem

Need help with finding beer in Boston (Read 26 times)

Prince of Fatness

I have a buddy that is going to Boston early next week for a convention.  He will have his car and is staying downtown.  Anyone from there know of any good beer stores that he could go to?  He will be pressed for time so preferably somewhere close by.  Also, are there any beers he should be looking for that would be hard or impossible to get in NJ?  His preference is more toward the malty side.

Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

I have a buddy that is going to Boston early next week for a convention.  He will have his car and is staying downtown.  Anyone from there know of any good beer stores that he could go to?  He will be pressed for time so preferably somewhere close by.  Also, are there any beers he should be looking for that would be hard or impossible to get in NJ?  His preference is more toward the malty side.

Thanks.

I pretty much stay out of the city at all costs and live way in the burbs. There is a great store in Stoneham which is maybe 15 minutes outside the city called Redstone Liquors .They have one of the better beer selections albeit small. The biggest and best store is Julios in Westboro, but he would need to head a good 30-40 minutes out of the city.

Jack's Abby is probably one of the best local breweries. They make all lagers but they drink more like ales. Mystic and Idle Hands if he likes Belgian style saisons and farmhouse ales. Night Shift for sours and funk, but most of their better beers don't hit retail. Trillium is right in the city on Congress street. I've heard great things but have never been. If he wants to venture out at night he can hit Mystic, Night Shift and Idle Hands. They are within a 5 minute drive of each other and maybe 10 minutes outside the city. Night Shift and Idle Hands are in a shady warehouse in Everett and right next door to each other. Mystic is in chelsea maybe 5 minutes away.

Check out this link from BA, somebody put it together last year:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-boston-summer-13-edition.99268/

Prince of Fatness

I copied your post into an email and sent it to him.  That should give him plenty of options.  Thanks!

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

He should look for that American Trappist brew; they are selling that in MA now aren't they?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

He should look for that American Trappist brew; they are selling that in MA now aren't they?

Not sure but I mentioned to him that he should look for it.

Not at it at all. 

Not sure but I mentioned to him that he should look for it.

i hate belgians aside from sours, but haven't run into it. He may have better luck closer to the city. I think it's running close to $20 for a 4 pack

Feeling the growl again

i hate belgians aside from sours, but haven't run into it. He may have better luck closer to the city. I think it's running close to $20 for a 4 pack

I just paid $17.50 for a two-pint pack of Sun King.  Smile

Two and a half of them, actually.  Having virtual beer friends does not keep the budget down.

Supposedly the US one is not a typical Trappist brew.  This is one reason I am curious how it turned out.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I just paid $17.50 for a two-pint pack of Sun King.  Smile

Two and a half of them, actually.  Having virtual beer friends does not keep the budget down.

Supposedly the US one is not a typical Trappist brew.  This is one reason I am curious how it turned out.

well i'm planning to send at least a 4pack to whodat next shipment, so i'm sure he'll share  assuming i find it by then

Feeling the growl again

well i'm planning to send at least a 4pack to whodat next shipment, so i'm sure he'll share  assuming i find it by then

Awesome.

And, I hope you did...or do...enjoy the Sun King I sent you via him.  If you see anything else from them you like let me know, I work 1.5 miles away and they do their special releases during lunch hour so I've had no problem being at the front of the line.

Awesome.

And, I hope you did...or do...enjoy the Sun King I sent you via him.  If you see anything else from them you like let me know, I work 1.5 miles away and they do their special releases during lunch hour so I've had no problem being at the front of the line.

Will do. The other one is still sleeping in the cellar for now, thanks again

gusgordon

Jack's Abby is probably one of the best local breweries. They make all lagers but they drink more like ales. 

Their DIPL is amazing.

Prince of Fatness

Well I saw that he checked in a couple of beers on untappd but it looks like he was at his hotel.  He mentioned that he may not have much time to explore.  He leaves today and was thinking that he would stop at a store on his way out.  I'll see him either tomorrow or Thursday.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Well it turns out that he did not have much time for anything other than a couple of beers at his hotel.  I appreciate the responses none the less.

Not at it at all. 

Well it turns out that he did not have much time for anything other than a couple of beers at his hotel.  I appreciate the responses none the less.

that's a shame but I know how busy it is when you travel for a work conference..even meals tend to be scheduled

Prince of Fatness

that's a shame but I know how busy it is when you travel for a work conference..even meals tend to be scheduled

He was staying at some fancy place downtown and said at least the bar there had some decent craft beer.  They even sold bombers.  He got a bomber of some barrel aged brown ale from Harpoon for $14.  Not bad.

Not at it at all.