Drinkers with a Running Problem

Absinthe (Read 378 times)

The voice of mile 18

turns out this stuff is now legal to buy in the US (even in the lousy state owner/operated liquor stores here in communist PA). anyone ever try it? it's got nasty reputation and that of course has me tempted to go and get some. is it worth it? does even taste good? do you have to drink it w/ the sugar cube?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've heard it tastes terrible, which is apparently the reason for the sugar. I'm curious, though. Any idea what it costs?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is fairly similar to any of the many black licorice-tasting liquors out there, including Pernod and Ouzo. I have made this in the past by soaking a white spirit (i.e., vodka) in a specific wormwood leaf, and then straining it. The reason why absinthe has a nasty reputation is because it is believed to be hallucinogenic. It is not. But as a result of this reputation, it was actually illegal for a time. There are several manufacturers these days. It is a heady beverage, meant to be poured into a clear glass and then followed by water a drop at a time until it becomes cloudy. The water softens the drink and emphasizes the taste. It should be drunk cool, before a meal or on a sunny afternoon. You can add sugar; I do not. What brands have you found?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why am I not the least bit surprised to find out that you've made this yourself, Trent. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can pick this stuff up at Home Depot from time to time: Grow. Pick leaves. Add vodka. Wait. Strain. Drink.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is the stuff I drank last month - http://www.drinklucid.com/lucid_home.cfm This is fun

The voice of mile 18

just read about it so far in PA liquor control board monthly magazine. they mention a couple US distillers I think lucid was one of them. aware of the green fairy reputation but was suprised they described it having a fennel taste to it. thought that was an odd flavor for a drink

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Fennel = Black Licorice = Anise These are all different substances, but it is a common flavor note. This flavor seems to have converged in a number of Mediterranean spirits and liquors over the centuries. Apparently, Lucid is considered to be the best.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is fun
                    Looks like a lot of work. Hmmm....I do like that sort of flavor, though. I think Jagermeister is yummy when most people dislike it.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The 'meister is licorice and so much more, and it is brutish to absinthe's refinement. Most folks don't go through that much trouble. The just pour the water in, with or without sugar, and drink. But the trouble is part of the appeal; it is a leisurely way to drink. Can't do that while chasing kiddos...
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Most folks don't go through that much trouble. The just pour the water in, with or without sugar, and drink. But the trouble is part of the appeal; it is a leisurely way to drink. Can't do that while chasing kiddos...
                        I'll bet bartenders cringe at that order--much the same way I did when I worked in a busy restaurant with an 8 table lunch section...some bastard would always order a cappuccino and put me in the weeds.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Naw, it usually is served (if served in a bar) as a shot in a larger glass with a small water pitcher, a spoon and a couple sugar cubes. Most folks do not do it up as in this video. This is the same way Pernod is served throughout Southern France and Northern Italy.

Prince of Fatness

I think Jagermeister is yummy when most people dislike it.
                            I've had that. Once. Dead All of those licorice flavored liquors are not for me. I'll stick to beer.

Not at it at all. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've had that. Once. Dead All of those licorice flavored liquors are not for me. I'll stick to beer.
                              I'm the kid who would sit with my dad and share an entire bag of black jelly beans. Then the next day we'd joke about our blue/green poops. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm the kid who would sit with my dad and share an entire bag of black jelly beans. Then the next day we'd joke about our blue/green poops. Big grin
                                I love me some black jellybeans. Need to get me some absinthe, although I am not a leisurely or patient drinker.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.