Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

I was over at my BIL's house yesterday and he showed me where he and the neighbor had discovered hops growing on the property line.  Nobody knows if they are wild or escaped stock from long ago.  The neighbor dug some up and is talking about having them genotyped to determine that, but they are probably native.  I guess the nearest brewery (Quaff On) is going to experiment with these with the goal of making a beer with native hops.

We dug up a pot full of rhizomes and roots.  I'm going to try and get them started, though timing for the year is not ideal.

If this works, I may need someone to make these things into beer as I haven't taken that leap yet.

I wonder how well fresh hops ship.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Since you are who I planted them for, I guess we'll find out.  They are in the ground.  I'm not sure how much we'll get the first year (2018).  If most of them take, it should fill a single hop tower.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

very well. Put them in a ziploc bag and suck out all the air.

Prince of Fatness

Yeah I was thinking that if I shipped them I would seal them up with my Food Saver.

From what I've read you need to use more by weight than dried hops. Makes sense since they contain more moisture. That said I cannot see needing more than a pound of them for a batch of beer, if that.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Yeah I was thinking that if I shipped them I would seal them up with my Food Saver.

From what I've read you need to use more by weight than dried hops. Makes sense since they contain more moisture. That said I cannot see needing more than a pound of them for a batch of beer, if that.

I dont see why i couldnt dry them.  Just let me know which is better for the beer.  I can't see how this can be more of a pain in the arse than conditioning a barrel for Trent... Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dry is fine, but what is sexy about fresh hops is that they are fresh hops. I can get dried hops anywhere. Fresh hops not so much.

Prince of Fatness

I agree with Trent. The allure here is using the hops fresh.  Ideally we'd want to coordinate this so that I can be ready to brew the beer shortly after the hops arrive (within a couple of days would be fine I would think).

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I agree with Trent. The allure here is using the hops fresh.  Ideally we'd want to coordinate this so that I can be ready to brew the beer shortly after the hops arrive (within a couple of days would be fine I would think).

Can do.  Not sure these ones will take, no sprouts yet, but if not I can get more for a spring re-plant.

BTW got the beer shipment this weekend from C-R and consumed the home-brews first.  Very fine work, especially the IPA.  I haven't logged yet but that one gets a very high rating.

Prince of Fatness

BTW got the beer shipment this weekend from C-R and consumed the home-brews first.  Very fine work, especially the IPA.  I haven't logged yet but that one gets a very high rating

Glad you enjoyed.  That IPA didn't turn out exactly the way I expected it to but I've been enjoying it.  I still have a handful left.

I'll have another small box to send out that way in a few weeks.  Next week I'll bottle the potato cream ale with grapes ... I want to include that one in the shipment.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Last night I brewed a batch in my kitchen.

Dark Wit (11 qts)

2.50 lbs US 2 Row Malt

1.50 lbs Wheat Malt

0.50 lbs Flaked Wheat

0.50 lbs Flaked Oat

4 oz Crystal Wheat

2 oz Midnight Wheat

1 oz Willamette (4.8% AA) 45 minutes

Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit (no starter)

Mash 152 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Ferment warm, 70+ degrees. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.

OG was 1.052.  Color turned out to be similar to a brown ale.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Summer is here and I have fresh potatoes from my garden.  That means it's time to brew a 5 gallon batch of potato cream ale.  I'll be doing that tomorrow.  Last year I added blueberries.  This year it will be roasted grapes.  I have 6 or 7 lbs of grapes that will be roasted this evening.  I expect that the kitchen will smell like grape jam when I am done.

I bottled this up last night.  FG was 1.006 giving me an ABV of 5.25%.  I got some subtle grape flavor that adds a nice touch.  I'll be drinking these come Labor Day weekend.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I brewed a batch last night in the kitchen.....

Tripel with peppercorns (11 quarts)

7 lbs Pilsner

.5 lbs Lyle's Golden Syrup Wegman's no longer sells Lyles, so I went with a very light candi sugar from the LHBS (add with 10 minutess left in the boil)

2 oz coarsely ground peppercorns (add at flameout)

German Tradition hop pellets 6.0% AA

0.50 oz 60 minutes

0.50 oz 45 minutes

Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Yeast (1 qt starter)

Mash 148 degrees for 75 minutes.

Boil 80 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.  Ferment 4 weeks (at a high temperature) or so then bottle,

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I bottled the Dark Wit last night.  The sample tasted good.  While doing that I took my first taste of the Potato Cream Ale with Grapes.  It was quite tasty.  Nice grape flavor.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Labor Day brewing. Making a Sour with Rye, which I will barrel age for some time.

Grain Bill
                              6 lbs - Belgian pilsner
                              2 lbs - hard wheat
                              2 lbs - rye flour
                              = 10 lbs

Hops Bill:
                              - 1.00 oz. Hallertauer

Bugs:
                              - Bootleg Biology Summer 2017 Solera Blend

My mash math:
                              (Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/2)(113 - 68) + 113 = 118°F x 20 quarts

Procedure:
                              - Mash in 5 gallons spring water at 120°F to get to 113°F (2 quarts/lb) x 20 minutes
                              - Pull off 3.5 gallons and heat to boil
                              - Add back ~4 quarts starchy wort to get to 136°F x 5 minutes
                              - Add back ~6 quarts starchy wort to get to 150°F x 30 minutes
                              - Add enough water to boiling starchy wort to get a little over 5 quarts, boil
                              - Add back 5 quarts starchy wort to get to 162°F x 30 minutes
                              - Add 5 quarts boiling water to get to 167°F
                              - Heat sparge water to 185°F
                              - Sparge over 90 minutes to ~9 gallons of 1.024 runnings collected
                              - Boil wort with hops x last 45 minutes to target 6 gallons at SG 1.048

I will put this in the oak barrel that Spaniel ran two batches of wine through, that has a peach sour of mine in it for the past year. Smile

The goal of this approach to brewing is to avoid converting all the starches to sugars, which keeps the Brett happy. Results in a milky wort.

Ostrich runner

I'm starting to brew again - I brewed for a 8 or ten years and it's been about that long since I have. I haven't worked out my recipe in full yet, but I'm trying a bit of an experiment. I'm going to use a combination of maple, hickory, and poplar syrups along with light malt and some wheat. I'm aiming for more subtle than the ingredients might sound. A brown, I suppose.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum