Drinkers with a Running Problem

Finding beer in Missouri (Read 15 times)

Prince of Fatness

I have a friend going to Missouri next weekend, town is Rolla, west of St Louis on I-44 sort of in the middle of nowhere.  Anyway, any good stores around there for craft beer? Also, any local beer that may not be widely distributed?  I told him to look for anything in the Boulevard Smoke Stack series.

Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

I have a friend going to Missouri next weekend, town is Rolla, west of St Louis on I-44 sort of in the middle of nowhere.  Anyway, any good stores around there for craft beer? Also, any local beer that may not be widely distributed?  I told him to look for anything in the Boulevard Smoke Stack series.

Thanks.

no clue on the area, but try here

Here are some breweries that I've had some stuff from and enjoyed a lot (aside from boulevard which you already mentioned):

4 hands

Mothers Brewing

Perennial

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Schlafly is in St. Louis. They've got some tasty stuff.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

We actually get a lot of Schlafly here in NJ.

Not at it at all. 

tim uf

Upgraded: Sort of Broken

quick search on Beeradvocate shows this place: http://www.publichousebrewery.com/
            if nothing else, their website is fairly nice.

Chill, be mellow, and be in a mood for embracing the sun.

"ooohhh, what is the malted liquor, what gets you drunker quicker,
            what comes in bottles or in cans?
            BEER!"

Prince of Fatness

I mentioned it and he told me that Public House is already on his itinerary.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

4 hands

As an aside, I went to Abe's last night and saw a couple of offerings from 4 Hands.  Trying to stick with a budget so did not get the RIS there (it was $13 or so and I already had a bomber from Clown Shoes for that much in the cart).  I opted for the Smoked Pigasus for around $7 instead.  Sounds interesting.

Smoked Pigasus is a robust and delicious porter brewed with rye, smoked malt, and maple syrup. The maple syrup provides a perfect balance for the smoked malt. Smoked Pigasus pours a deep mahogany with aromas of chocolate, smoke, and caramel. A big thank you to Pappy's Smokehouse!

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I do not have a full report, but he sent me a picture of a bottle of Fat Tire so he found some New Belgium beer.  I mentioned Kahn's in Indianapolis to him and yesterday he sent me a picture of the front of the store, so he stopped there on his way home.  Will find out more, but one thing that he mentioned was that when he asked for Three Floyds at Kahn's they said that they get it in on Fridays and it flies off of the shelves.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I do not have a full report, but he sent me a picture of a bottle of Fat Tire so he found some New Belgium beer.  I mentioned Kahn's in Indianapolis to him and yesterday he sent me a picture of the front of the store, so he stopped there on his way home.  Will find out more, but one thing that he mentioned was that when he asked for Three Floyds at Kahn's they said that they get it in on Fridays and it flies off of the shelves.

So here's the story on hard-to-find Indiana beers.  We have arcane alcohol laws:

1) No alcohol purchases on Sundays;

2) No cold beer in convenience stores (but you can buy cold wine)

3) Cap of 50,000 barrels of production if you have your own distribution and/or a tasting room

The reason behind all of these is that the state is dominated by only a couple large distributors, and for reasons I can't figure out they have a lot of pull in the statehouse.  Pretty much nobody supports the no Sunday sales, and a bill comes up for vote to abolish it on an annual basis, but the distributors don't want to have to pay to staff the liquor stores that extra day and compete with grocery store sales.  Everybody wants more Three Floyds and Sun King, but they don't want to give up their connection with the public through tasting rooms.

Just this morning I read a story on Sun King and that they're basically at legal capacity, and are trying to fight it out in the legislature again so they can keep expanding.  I know 3F now has external distribution, but has the tasting room issue (I've heard, never been).  MTA:  The Sun King article stated that they have had to cut distribution to more outlying areas of the state and NW corner because their current (legal maximum) production can barely supply local demand around Indy.

Basically, we get screwed in this state by large distributors doing everything they can to monopolize.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Basically, we get screwed in this state by large distributors doing everything they can to monopolize.

I think that the evil empires like AB-InBev have a hand in it as well.  Thank goodness for hoarding beer fairies.

Not at it at all.