Drinkers with a Running Problem

Pumpkin Beer Recipe (Read 635 times)

Prince of Fatness

Been working on the recipe.  I want something a little darker than what Sean brewed, so here goes.

9 lb 2 row pale

1 lb Munich

8 oz Caramunich III

4 oz Special B

4 lb Roasted pumpkin (substitute butternut squash)  I'll try 350 degrees for an hour or until cooked.

Maybe I'll throw some rice hulls in the mash, maybe I'll live dangerously.  Mash around 152 for 60 minutes.

1 oz Mt Hood 5.2% for 60 mins

.5 oz Willimette 4.9% for 30 mins

Spices (add to boil with 10 minutes left ... may tweak this)

.5 cup molasses

1 cinnamon stick

1 nutmeg coarsely ground

1 whole clove

Primary for 3 weeks.  Secondary for a couple months.  Bottle in enough time to condition for at least a month, preferably a couple of weeks more.  If I over spice hopefully this will give it time to mellow.

And I'll try to remember the pictures.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Trent .... Any issue with roasting the squash the night before?  I could scoop it all out and store it in the fridge overnight.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No issue at all.

Despite my misgivings about pumpkin beer in general, I think that one average sized butternut would be too small for a 5 gallon batch.

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, the recipe calls for 4 pounds.  I figured that it may be more than one butternut, and had planned on weighing it out at the grocery store.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Where my pictures at?

Prince of Fatness

I'll want to brew March / April.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

You can use any kind of winter squash in a recipe that calls for pumpkin.  Just cut the thing in half, scoop out the seeds and put on an old cookie sheet cut side up @ 500 degrees for an hour or so.  Cool and scoop.

We will be brewing the first weekend in March.  Do I really need to cook the squash at 500 degrees?  Also, how do I determine that it is done?  I am using butternut squash probably.  Also, considering what won't be used how many pounds of squash do you think that I need to buy to come up with 4 pounds net?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

400-500.  The higher the temp, the more carmel notes you will get.

It is done when it is soft to touch, kinda like a loaf of bread.

Prince of Fatness

400-500.  The higher the temp, the more carmel notes you will get.

It is done when it is soft to touch, kinda like a loaf of bread.

OK.  Thanks.  A few posts back you say to cut it in half then scoop when done.  Mrs Finn told me that she peels it first.  Does it really make any difference.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do not peel.  It is a total waste of time and energy unless you plan to boil rather than roast.  Once peeled, there is risk that the whole thing will scorch.  The cut edge always scorches, but if this is limited to the half-cut then it will flavor but not overwhelm the squash.  Once cooked and cooled, the skin peels off easily.  Much lower effort, much better outcome.

Out of curiosity, why does Mrs. Finn do this?

Prince of Fatness

Do not peel.  It is a total waste of time and energy unless you plan to boil rather than roast.  Once peeled, there is risk that the whole thing will scorch.  The cut edge always scorches, but if this is limited to the half-cut then it will flavor but not overwhelm the squash.  Once cooked and cooled, the skin peels off easily.  Much lower effort, much better outcome.

Out of curiosity, why does Mrs. Finn do this?

I will try the no peel method.  Sounds like if I want to be real lazy I can roast it the night before, let it cool overnight, and peel the next morning just before throwing it into the mash.

As for why Mrs Finn does this ... not 100% sure.  She likes to make french fries out of the squash, so maybe that is why.  Maybe it is what she is making.  She says it is not very difficult to peel them, FWIW.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I will try the no peel method.  Sounds like if I want to be real lazy I can roast it the night before, let it cool overnight, and peel the next morning just before throwing it into the mash.

Yeah, I usually do this.  Roast the night before.

As for why Mrs Finn does this ... not 100% sure.  She likes to make french fries out of the squash, so maybe that is why.  Maybe it is what she is making.  She says it is not very difficult to peel them, FWIW.

Yah, squash "fries" would be a good reason.  And I disagree, peeling a squash is a PITA.

Prince of Fatness

And I disagree, peeling a squash is a PITA.

I have never done it but think that I would agree with you, but I am better off not arguing with Mrs Finn about it.  If she says it's easy, it's easy.

I have the cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and molasses.  I just need to pick up grains, hops, yeast, and the squash.  I am on schedule for Friday / Saturday.

Gotta remember the pics.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I just need to pick up grains, hops, yeast, and the squash.

Mission accomplished.  I bought 2 butternut squash and it came to between 5 and 6 pounds, so it should come to at least 4 after roasting, peeling, etc.

Friday evening we will roast the squash, make a yeast starter, and get the equipment set up for brew day.  And have a home brew or two.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Squash has been roasted.  Yeast starter pitched.  We will come up short on the squash.  I bought 2, 5 and a half pounds, and came up with 3 roasted.  Was shooting for 4.  Live and learn.  What we got goes into the mash.  I got a couple of pictures.

Not at it at all.