Drinkers with a Running Problem

Are you developing a resistance to hops? (Read 23 times)

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

lagwagon

nice read

I think I have a new favorite sixth sense:  "human olfactory psychophysics", replacing my previous favorite sixth sense of "psychoacoustics" (yes, you with the $3000 Bose lifestyle surround sound system)

"Or are they just drinking the label?"...maybe, but I do strictly prefer the S-N torpedo over the regular unleaded.  at least I think I do.  might be time for a blind taste test to keep my psycoolfactory self in check.

gusgordon

I thought I just posted this but it never appeared...so...

I'll run this article by my wife, who actually does human olfactory psychophysics for a living.  I suspect it's a combination of some actual sensory adaptation but mostly "drinking the label", i.e., a top-down (knowledge-driven) influence on taste/smell, which is a very well-documented phenomenon.

Prince of Fatness

I chuckled a little when I read this part..

Remember when Victory HopDevil IPA was as hoppy as it gets? These days hopheads shrug at it and reach for Hop Wallop imperial IPA instead. And how about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? It's kids' stuff today, compared to the California brewery's Torpedo Extra IPA.

The first time that I had a SN Pale Ale I had not had many hoppy beers and wondered how anyone could finish one.  Now I do not consider it that hoppy (I consider it real good tho).  And I love Hop Devil but as far as IPA's go it is rather tame.

Not at it at all. 

gusgordon

DW doesn't buy the sensory adaptation idea.  She says it's just snobbery.  Smile

Feeling the growl again

I guess this is why I just avoid IPAs and maintain my refined, unadulterated taste buds.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

god hates us all

There is no resistance to hops.  It's simply an appreciation for hoppy qualities developed over time ie. an acquired tasted.  Torpedo is my "everyday" beer but it's not as if I can't taste the hops in the Pale Ale.  It's similar to liking spicy food.  Don't overthink it.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I guess this is why I just avoid IPAs and maintain my refined, unadulterated taste buds.  Smile

+1

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Ultra Cowboy

I have to say my hops tolerance has increased over time.

The way to study this is to have standardized IBU level beers blind taste tested, and ranked by self labeled "hopheads".  If the Hops concentration is indeed the driving factor the Higher IBU beers will rank highest in their opinion, with low IBU beers being at the bottom.

Then a secondary semi-blind taste  test where the beer is labelled by IBU's.  Half Correctly and half incorrectly.  If it is a function of label then the mislabelled high IBU  beer should rank higher.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Prince of Fatness

I have to say my hops tolerance has increased over time.

The way to study this is to have standardized IBU level beers blind taste tested, and ranked by self labeled "hopheads".  If the Hops concentration is indeed the driving factor the Higher IBU beers will rank highest in their opinion, with low IBU beers being at the bottom.

Then a secondary semi-blind taste  test where the beer is labelled by IBU's.  Half Correctly and half incorrectly.  If it is a function of label then the mislabelled high IBU  beer should rank higher.

Not sure I agree with this.  You cannot go on IBU alone.  You need to take the OG into consideration.  For example, a pale ale with an OG of 1.050 and 50 IBUs will taste hoppier than a stout that has an OG of 1.080 and those same 50 IBUs.  I believe that most IPA's are in the vicinity of a 1 to 1 OG / IBU ratio (1.070 OG / 70 IBU for example).

Also a lot of late hop and dry hop additions make a beer taste hoppier without adding much if anything in the way of IBUs.

Not at it at all. 

Ultra Cowboy

Finn you certainly know more about this than I...I'd assumed that IBU's were the only standardized measurement...

Taste is seldom on a numeric scale, and balance plays a role as well.  Heck I can't buy a full case of any one beer I have to buy the Variety packs...

WYBMADIITY

Save

Prince of Fatness

Taste is seldom on a numeric scale, and balance plays a role as well.  Heck I can't buy a full case of any one beer I have to buy the Variety packs...

+1.  Lots of things affect the taste of beer.  IBUs, original and final gravity, carbonation, temperature, etc.  Variety is good.  I am a homebrewer and rarely ever brew the same beer more than once.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I am a homebrewer and rarely ever brew the same beer more than once.

You should brew more of that coffee porter. That was tasty.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

You should brew more of that coffee porter. That was tasty.

That one is in the annual rotation.  I brew it in September so it is ready for the holidays.

Not at it at all.