Drinkers with a Running Problem

Alcohol intake and marathon training (Read 223 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Anyone ever completely quit drinking altogether in preparation for a marathon? Did it make a difference? Some of my favorite drinks pack a bit of a punch, so I'm thinking that even one might be a problem as I up the mileage. This running thing really does mess up my drinking schedule. Arla

Ex runner

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I can see laying off the sauce the week of the race just to avoid any issues w/ hangover, dehydration, etc. But unless you're getting hammered all the time to the point that it's inhibiting your ability to do the runs, then I don't see the point of going cold turkey. Disclaimer: I never see the point of going cold turkey.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

PWL

Has been

Beer is a good way to carb-load. That's all I got.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not planning to completely not drink, but I rarely drink enough to feel it the next day, anyhow. I'd think the worst effect that alcohol could have is if one isn't hydrating well or if they are overdoing it. And my main reason to limit booze is the calorie-intake. I really want to drop 5-10#s before my marathon--it will make me faster and be kinder to my knees (which have been pissed lately).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

That's interesting. I've been fine doing my runs per usual, I just wondered if it might be even better without any alcohol, which clearly is not exactly a health food - well, maybe it is, there's some evidence for that... Never Mind! Big grin Arla MTA: nice Bo Diddley pic Jeff (I saw him in Holland - um, that was on a different kind of "sauce")

Ex runner

Anyone ever completely quit drinking altogether in preparation for a marathon? Did it make a difference? Some of my favorite drinks pack a bit of a punch, so I'm thinking that even one might be a problem as I up the mileage. This running thing really does mess up my drinking schedule. Arla
              Blasphemy. My personal opinion is that running hung over gives an awesome HTFU opportunity. What's better than smelling alcohol seeping from every pore of your body as you stagger along the course, while your head feels like a spear has been inserted through it, and your innards are in total revolt mode? Tight lipped

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Arla- I would think it really depends on how much alcohol you drink during the training. If it is an occassional beer or occassional "drink with a kick" I don't think it would be too bad. If it is everyday or high intake I think it would affect the training due to: 1- hydration 2- mental (hard to run hung over or tired) 3- weight 4- and maybe most important- muscle recovery. I think with the miles you put in with marathon training that the alcohol definitely hinders the recovery your muscles need. The fastest marathons I have run were in a period of my life where I abstained from alcohol. Granted- I am running about half the miles per year now that I was back then and that's not to say I can't train hard and get my times back down, just an observation.
                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Blasphemy. My personal opinion is that running hung over gives an awesome HTFU opportunity. What's better than smelling alcohol seeping from every pore of your body as you stagger along the course, while your head feels like a spear has been inserted through it, and your innards are in total revolt mode? Tight lipped
                  You mean these symptoms shouldn't be present all the time...? Confused

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay