Drinkers with a Running Problem

Devastating Hangover! (Read 569 times)

Anyone else here get adversely affected by certain brands of beer?

Twice in the past month or so, I've gone to a bar and had 2-3 pints of Goose Island IPA.  Great beer but I've had debilitating hangovers the next day--I mean on my a$$, can't move till 2 pm hangovers.

The last time, after 2.5 pints, I had the spins--couldn't get to sleep for 3 hours!

No other beer affects me like this--Sierra Nev., Brooklyn Ale, Alaskan Amber.

It's kind of scary.

TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My dad can't drink old school Leinies for this reason.  Even just a couple of bottles leaves him feeling horrible the next day.

I haven't found a beer that does this to me, but red wine does and there is one riesling that my hubby likes that I refuse to drink.  I generally LOVE dry rieslings, but this one always makes me feel like ass the next day.  Not sure why.  The first time I had that reaction I thought it was a fluke, but it happened again the next time we had the same wine.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

DW and I blew off the Motley Crue concert last year for the same reason, zoom.  Had a few drinks with friends, some wine afterward and were road kill the next morning, noon, afternoon...

We didn't feel it would be appropriate for a couple of near-50 year-olds to be puking at the show, Crue or not! Wink

TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

We didn't feel it would be appropriate for a couple of near-50 year-olds to be puking at the show, Crue or not! Wink

I think puking 50yo's would've blended right in with the Crüe's current fanbase.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jdmcgregor

All business

Anyone else here get adversely affected by certain brands of beer?

Twice in the past month or so, I've gone to a bar and had 2-3 pints of Goose Island IPA.  Great beer but I've had debilitating hangovers the next day--I mean on my a$$, can't move till 2 pm hangovers.

The last time, after 2.5 pints, I had the spins--couldn't get to sleep for 3 hours!

No other beer affects me like this--Sierra Nev., Brooklyn Ale, Alaskan Amber.

It's kind of scary.

TC

Maybe it's something in that Chicago water they use out there on Goose Island?  I haven't noticed anything near this, except to say that a PBR hangover is *way* worse than any good beer hangover.  Also wanted to mention my favorite hangover cure, which is Vietnamese soup: pho.  If you didn't use it in college, try it sometime.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Queen of 3rd Place

Not a devastating hangover, but there's a local brewpub that makes a tasty IPA that gives me the "whisky shits" the next day. Even just one. Their other beers don't bother me.

Ex runner

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Arla.  Make sure you are wearing your gddmn grn snglt next time you have the whiskey shits.  And then take a picture for the swamp.
                KMB

i really only ever drink mass produced beer so no particular one of those devastates me.

lots of beer with no food does.

nearly any hard liquor regardless of food does.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am 36...apparently I am too old to drink most of a pitcher of Oberon + 1 22oz. scrumpy jack cider whilst watching my favorite band from the 90s play in a smokey bar until 1:30 AM.  I feel like ass.  I was supposed to do an 8 mile tempo run today....it will be closer to 6 EASY queasy miles, instead. 

~ Sarah Kay

I am 36...apparently I am too old to drink most of a pitcher of Oberon + 1 22oz. scrumpy jack cider whilst watching my favorite band from the 90s play in a smokey bar until 1:30 AM.  I feel like ass.  I was supposed to do an 8 mile tempo run today....it will be closer to 6 EASY queasy miles, instead. 

I'm apparently too old as well, since I was with her.  I only ran a mile due to time constraints...actually, were I not hung over I would have had time to run a few more miles early in the day.  But instead, I had to get ready for my 11yo's birthday party which involved about 10 kids, 7 of which spent the night!!!  Not a good plan on a hangover.

So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                        Why is it that I, the girl that rarely ever drinks when I'm training for races, am posting a 2nd time in the hangover thread in just a few weeks time?

Last night was girls night in.  Combining 4 crazy girls, Wood Chuck, Summer Shandy, Lambic, Pinot Noir Brut Champagne (awful, by the way), more hard cider, a few 70's & early 90's prom dresses and a ton of jello shots is a bad...I repeat BAD...idea!   We called my husband at 10:30 to come pick us up & take us to a local bar in all of our retro glory.  My very thick, very long hair was ratted to the max & I was lovely in a dark green gown of velvet.  We entertained the Pink Palace patrons with our lovely karaoke rendition of "Girls Just Want To Have Fun".

4 rounds of conditioner this morning & I could almost get a brush through my hair.  I'm still shaking at 2:30 in the afternoon & not entirely able to focus.  Still can't keep food down.  Walking across the room is too much effort & the computer screen is making my head hurt.  One of the girls decided this morning that my condition means I must need to drink more regularly.  I say I'm done until after my marathon in October...

So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Why is it that I, the girl that rarely ever drinks when I'm training for races, am posting a 2nd time in the hangover thread in just a few weeks time?

Last night was girls night in.  Combining 4 crazy girls, Wood Chuck, Summer Shandy, Lambic, Pinot Noir Brut Champagne (awful, by the way), more hard cider, a few 70's & early 90's prom dresses and a ton of jello shots is a bad...I repeat BAD...idea!   We called my husband at 10:30 to come pick us up & take us to a local bar in all of our retro glory.  My very thick, very long hair was ratted to the max & I was lovely in a dark green gown of velvet.  We entertained the Pink Palace patrons with our lovely karaoke rendition of "Girls Just Want To Have Fun".

4 rounds of conditioner this morning & I could almost get a brush through my hair.  I'm still shaking at 2:30 in the afternoon & not entirely able to focus.  Still can't keep food down.  Walking across the room is too much effort & the computer screen is making my head hurt.  One of the girls decided this morning that my condition means I must need to drink more regularly.  I say I'm done until after my marathon in October...

Nicely done.  I approve.  You drag Zoomie into that mayhem?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nicely done.  I approve.  You drag Zoomie into that mayhem?

Nah, we live 90 minutes apart and I had an 18 miler to run today.  But there is a beer tent 1.5 miles from me tonite.  Heather and I are going to try to get arrested in this podunk community...woot!

~ Sarah Kay

At least you "earned" your hangover.  Unlike my whimpy two beer disaster.

I"m SOOOOO ashamed... Sad

TC

Last Thursday, I partied like a rockstar.... well, it's been a while.  I"ll tell you what made me ill, it really wasn't the Stellas I as pounding, but the Red Bull chugging. 

You can order a pint of red bull at the bar now.  It's just like a soda.  Well, we  ( me and my two drunk crew ) ordered one, and all split it.  It didn't do anything, so we ordered a second one,  and that did the trick. 

Well, I paid for it big time the next day. The enitre day, I was sick to my stomach, dizzy and sweaty.   

Lesson learned.  Go easy on the Red Bull.   Oh, and try to cut back on the $7.00 Stella pints on a Thursday night.

- Anya