Drinkers with a Running Problem

Calling all winos.... (Read 296 times)

I want to try some red wine but I have some requests: not too dry not too sweet not sparkling DW drinks some decent stuff but mainly sweet and I am not really into the sweet stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jeremy
    2009 Goals...:
    -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
      I drink mainly cabernets and merlots, neither of which I find sweet at all, nor too dry. Neither are sparkling. Try going to a wine bar, if one exists around you, and ordering a sampler flight to learn. I also get a lot of Spanish wines from the Rioja region, but that is only because I went there on vacation a few years ago. Drinking the memories, I say. I like wine, but know more about beer.
        Find a good store with a knowlegeable staff. They will help you.

- Anya

Queen of 3rd Place

Tasting - oh what fun! If you like something full-bodied you might want to try one of the "super Tuscans" - I dearly love a Barolo but it's spendy. Or maybe some Rhones - maybe like a Gigondas - mmmm. I'm also a big fan of Petite Syrah...still a well-kept secret, you can find some good values. Pinot Noir is also a lovely red, but again a decent one can be an investment 'cause it seems suddenly EVERYBODY wants to drink it, and it's also notoriously finicky to grow. And you really can't go wrong with a merlot for just a good, every day wine. You have an adventure ahead of you! Arla

Ex runner

Here is one that the DW had on her wine rack that I decided that I wanted to try tonight and I think that it is pretty good... http://www.lakeridgewinery.com/cart/display.php?pid=11&detail=true&hits_seen=
            2009 Goals...:
            -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
              Pinot Noir is also a lovely red, but again a decent one can be an investment 'cause it seems suddenly EVERYBODY wants to drink it, and it's also notoriously finicky to grow.
              You can't go wrong with a California Pinot Noir....... its expensive here in Canada but I'm sure you can get some great deals in the US. I also enjoy Rosenblum Zinfandel's.... nice wine and usually reasonably priced. http://www.rosenblumcellars.com/ Jason

...---...

You can't go wrong with a California Pinot Noir/ Jason
                I agree. A decent one we've lately is La Crema pinot noir...I think this one might fitthe bill pretty well. Reasonably priced too, we think.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

The voice of mile 18

i think someone here recommended black swan shiraz and jacobs creek cab - both are very tasty. also just tried a spanish wine Bolaris i think also very tasty.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I also enjoy Rosenblum Zinfandel's.... nice wine and usually reasonably priced.
                    TOTALLY agree. Totally. Awesome stuff. Just had an Earthquake Zin (Lodi region) that was spectacular too.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Just had an Earthquake Zin (Lodi region) that was spectacular too.
                      Ha! Lodi region makes it sound so prestigious. Having acutlly been through Lodi, all I can say is that there's a reason Creedence sang, "Oh, lord, stuck in Lodi again." Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Rosenblum is made in Alameda. There is a reason why San Francisco did not settle in Alameda. Dead But the wine is spectacular! (Grapes are grown elsewhere...)
                        C-R

Any Malbec from Chile or Argentina will do the trick.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Queen of 3rd Place

WHICH Rosenblum Zin? Apparently Lodi has really developed their wine industry lately, I keep meaning to take a trip up there, it's only a couple hours away for me. There's some attempt to do the same around here (Fresno and Madera counties), but really the only notable wine coming from this area (in my opinion) is Ficklin's port. If anyone likes port, Ficklin is worth a try. Arla

Ex runner

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Queen of 3rd Place

Guess I've got my work cut out for me! Arla

Ex runner