Drinkers with a Running Problem

Dragon's Milk (Read 16 times)

Joann Y

elixir of kings

goblet of post run delight

sweet milk of dragons

Prince of Fatness

Interesting.  I have had this.  It is good but did not live up to the hype.  Nor was it worthy of the price that I paid for it.  I expected more from a barrel aged stout.

Would never turn one down but would not go out and buy one again either.

Not at it at all. 

Joann Y

Interesting.  I have had this.  It is good but did not live up to the hype.  Nor was it worthy of the price that I paid for it.  I expected more from a barrel aged stout.

Would never turn one down but would not go out and buy one again either.

What do you recommend amongst barrel aged stouts? Maybe this requires some taste testing to get my palate up to par.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

What do you recommend amongst barrel aged stouts? Maybe this requires some taste testing to get my palate up to par.

Since you appear to be in Chicago, if you can still find some Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout it would be worth checking out. It sells out pretty fast, so there may not be any left.

For a non-barrel aged stout, Founders Imperial Stout is excellent and pretty easy to find. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is also very tasty. Like drinking a chocolate bar.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Joann Y

Since you appear to be in Chicago, if you can still find some Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout it would be worth checking out. It sells out pretty fast, so there may not be any left.

For a non-barrel aged stout, Founders Imperial Stout is excellent and pretty easy to find. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is also very tasty. Like drinking a chocolate bar.

I've had the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Fantastic beer, so tasty. Pricey but you only need one (that's about all I can handle anyway). So many good Goose Island beers. I may have had the Founders, not sure. I have a hard time remembering this stuff. I'll check it out along with the Brooklyn stout you mentioned.

Been drinking one Old Rasputin per night for the last several. I really like it too. Wonder where that fits in with the other stouts.

Thanks for the suggestions.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I've had the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Fantastic beer, so tasty. Pricey but you only need one (that's about all I can handle anyway). So many good Goose Island beers. I may have had the Founders, not sure. I have a hard time remembering this stuff. I'll check it out along with the Brooklyn stout you mentioned.

Been drinking one Old Rasputin per night for the last several. I really like it too. Wonder where that fits in with the other stouts.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old Rasputin and Founders Imperial Stout are similar. Both Russian Imperial Stouts and both very good. Another good RIS is Oskar Blues Ten FIDY.

For a less pricey bourbon barrel stout you could try Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout. Not on the same level as the Goose Island BCBS, but still pretty good.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

WhoDat covered it well.  With barrel aged stouts it depends on how long you age them.  Also depends on your taste.  I love me a good bourbon so if it is heavy on that I am all in.  Some don't like that so much.  One of my favs is Weyerbacher Heresy.  Not sure you can get that in the Chicago area.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

WhoDat covered it well.  

No kidding.

The Kentucky Bourbon Barrel is a good value.  Not the best, but not as pricey either.

Just had my first Ten Fidy recently, I will be buying more.  At 10.5% ABV you don't need many.

If you like Old Rasputin, look for a bomber of the Barrel Aged Old Rasputin.  A bit pricey, but that stuff is certainly worth it.  After I splurged on the first, I went back and bought another before it was gone.  It's aging now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Joann Y

No kidding.

The Kentucky Bourbon Barrel is a good value.  Not the best, but not as pricey either.

Just had my first Ten Fidy recently, I will be buying more.  At 10.5% ABV you don't need many.

If you like Old Rasputin, look for a bomber of the Barrel Aged Old Rasputin.  A bit pricey, but that stuff is certainly worth it.  After I splurged on the first, I went back and bought another before it was gone.  It's aging now.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the Old Rasputin bomber. Haven't seen that. Had the Ten Fidy last night. I liked it. Wasn't sure about the first few sips; I thought it tasted best near the end. Poured it in a glass so maybe it had a chance to warm up a bit.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the Old Rasputin bomber. Haven't seen that. Had the Ten Fidy last night. I liked it. Wasn't sure about the first few sips; I thought it tasted best near the end. Poured it in a glass so maybe it had a chance to warm up a bit.

I've found that stouts can taste bitter and harsh if they're too cold. Refrigerator temp is usually colder than I like my stouts. At warmer temps they tend to be more open and smoother and you can pick up more of the subtle flavors.

Prince of Fatness

Oh, just remembered this one.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5318/34094/

That may just be the best barrel aged stout that I have tasted.  It comes in 375ml corked bottles and is pricey, but it is a must try.

Not at it at all. 

Joann Y

Oh, just remembered this one.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5318/34094/

That may just be the best barrel aged stout that I have tasted.  It comes in 375ml corked bottles and is pricey, but it is a must try.

Cool. I haven't seen (or noticed I should say) beers by Port Brewing around here, but I'll definitely keep my eye out.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dragons Milk and BCS are totally different. DM is much more vanilla/creme brûlée, while BCS is more chocolate fudge. I would suggest sitting on the milk for a good year. So much better then.

KBS has been really difficult to get in the past year or so. Rumor has it that the '14 release will be larger.

Old Rasputin, especially the BA version, damned good as well.

There are so so so many BA imperial stouts these days. Folks are really fired up by the 5050 Eclipse series, aged in different barrels every year. And then there is the overrated, viscous Dark Lord, also fairly impressive. I've been digging Straight to Ale's Laika, which is bourbon barrel and cabernet barrel aged. So so so many out there these days tho.

And if all you are looking for is a RIS, not with barrel, well many more. I'd suggest trying to get ahold of a Prairie Bomb!, a current fave of mine.

Joann Y

Dragons Milk and BCS are totally different. DM is much more vanilla/creme brûlée, while BCS is more chocolate fudge. I would suggest sitting on the milk for a good year. So much better then.

KBS has been really difficult to get in the past year or so. Rumor has it that the '14 release will be larger.

Old Rasputin, especially the BA version, damned good as well.

There are so so so many BA imperial stouts these days. Folks are really fired up by the 5050 Eclipse series, aged in different barrels every year. And then there is the overrated, viscous Dark Lord, also fairly impressive. I've been digging Straight to Ale's Laika, which is bourbon barrel and cabernet barrel aged. So so so many out there these days tho.

And if all you are looking for is a RIS, not with barrel, well many more. I'd suggest trying to get ahold of a Prairie Bomb!, a current fave of mine.

Never occurred to me to let beer age. I don't know if I can even keep beer in the house without someone drinking it. Maybe I can hide it and try to forget it's there.

Yeah, been really into the Old Rasputin lately. Good stuff. And what a cool label.

My understanding is Dark Lord is only available on Dark Lord Day. Is that right? Or have the right friends I guess. It's only a 30 minute drive over to 3 Floyds but I always forget to check on dates/sign up or whatever the hell it is they want you to do. (feed them your children?)  Speaking of 3 Floyds, a couple of weeks ago I had a Permanent Funeral. Damn good IPA.

Joann Y

And it does seem like there are so many now. Not that I  paid much attention before.  Had a RIS from Great Lakes the other night. It was alright. I wasn't too blown away. I have had something by Prairie/Krebs (or whatever) at this bar down the street. Don't think it was a stout but maybe they've got the Bomb. I'll be on the lookout

MTA: I gotta get a notebook.