Drinkers with a Running Problem

box wine (Read 389 times)

I think I remember someone on here being a big fan of box wine. Zoom-zoom maybe? Has anyone tried the "Black Box" brand wines? At $22 for a 3 liter box it is $5.50 a bottle (!!!) Connoisseur-wise, I would probably not be able to tell it from a $10 or $12 bottle. Makes for a decent everyday or table wine (in the European tradition of course). So far I have tried the cab and the merlot. My wife is a big fan of Lindenmans Bin 65 Chardonnnay, which is only pennies more, and comes in glass, so I have not tried the chard.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I think Meijer may carry that boxed wine--I will have to look for that. One of my favorite wines is a Lindeman's riesling. My very favorite box wine is ~$16/3L...Hardy's Stamp of Australia Riesling. Dry, strong...good flavor.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm fully supportive of Boxed wine... as long as the box contains 12 bottles. Tongue I'm not a big fan of the box.... I can live with the tetra packaged wine... but how do you lay a bottle tetra pack down in the cellar..... I am a self admitted wine snob. ....... but pour the boxed stuff in a glass and hand it to me and I bet I wouldn't even know the difference. JR

Go Pre!

Half the experience is corking the gems and pouring that first glass. Then watching the last drop empty into the glass and consider what to open next.

Big Chicken!

I recently read an article about new wine packaging. To save money, vinteners are turning to "juice-box" type packaging. It's much lighter weight than glass and less prone to breakage (duh). The lighter weight contributes to lower fuel costs, saving tons of $$. Apparently, it's become more common in Australia and is beginning to catch on in Europe, though mainly with smaller vinteners. I wonder if they come with bendy straws? Big grin And a thing about the cork. I noticed in the past few years some brands using synthetic corks. I first ever saw it in Australia about 4 years ago. I personally prefer them because I am a wine idiot and can never open a bottle without destoying the cork. In Europe it is unlikley that anyone would be for the use of the synthetics since so much cork comes from here. Portugal is the world's largest cork producer, with Spain and Greece behind the Portuguese. I have had teh opportunity to see how it's harvested. They "peel" the bark off of some type of tree and place these sheets of cork onto large flatbed trucks. First time we saw a truck like this going down the road we couldn't figure out what was in there. When driving through a national forest we saw people harvesting the bark. The tree look soooo weird with the bark removed. Naked. Just thought I'd share.
            Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I personally prefer them because I am a wine idiot and can never open a bottle without destoying the cork.
              Glad I'm not alone... Blush I like the juice box idea--bendy straws would make it all the better. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

My $0.02 on box wine is that it makes a lot of sense if you don't tend to finish the bottle in one sitting. Oxygen will interact with beer or wine and make it stale. With a box, this doesn't happen, at least not for a long time (the oxygen will get through the plastic eventually). But I'm not a wine snob. I am, however, a bit of a beer snob. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My $0.02 on box wine is that it makes a lot of sense if you don't tend to finish the bottle in one sitting.
                  Yep, that's the primary reason we like 'em. It's nice to just hit the tap for a glass when the whim strikes. Bottles take a little more planning and commitment. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

Ooh, I'll have to try those new brands of box wine - Black Box? - thanks! Last time I tried one, years ago, it was barely ok, although good enough if you've already had your first glass. If you *really* want to go cheap, I've played around with making wine, but the kits keep resulting in ick. Fresh fruit seems to work better, and is even cheaper than the kit per bottle. I think it's about $25 worth of fruit (I like pears), sugar, yeast and a few other things for 30 bottles of wine. Arla

Ex runner