Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1600 times)

Gotta Flee Em All

Gonna be boozy AF. ISO

Ostrich runner

I've thought about making a breakfast beer with the same ingredients just so that I can call it morning wood.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I'm starting to brew again - I brewed for a 8 or ten years and it's been about that long since I have. I haven't worked out my recipe in full yet, but I'm trying a bit of an experiment. I'm going to use a combination of maple, hickory, and poplar syrups along with light malt and some wheat. I'm aiming for more subtle than the ingredients might sound. A brown, I suppose.

I'm a fool for a good brown ale.  If my hops take perhaps you can use them.  With the extreme drought I think this fall's planting is a loss, but I'll try again in the spring.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Cherrywood Smoked Altbier (5.25 gals)

This turned out nice so I have made it a fall traditional. Brewing in the garage brew house this Saturday.

Cherrywood smoked malt is the shit.

Semi-back-at-it. 

Feeling the growl again

This turned out nice so I have made it a fall traditional. Brewing in the garage brew house this Saturday.

Cherrywood smoked malt is the shit.

That sounds yummy...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Tomorrow is brew day.  Got the equipment out of storage and have cleaned it.  Thunder suggested that I try a tweak to the oatmeal stout that was planned: breakfast stout.  AKA Oatmeal and molasses stout.  I have done some research and it appears that molasses complements a dark beer incredibly well.  Sooo...

• 5 lbs 2 row American Malt
              • 5 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
              • 1 lb Chocolate Malt
              • 1 lb Roasted Barley
              • 1 lb 60l Crystal Malt
              • ~3-4 lbs steel cut oats
              • 2 oz Hallertau
              • 2 oz Golden
              • 2 oz Cascade
              • Wyeast British Ale II yeast
              • ~10 oz dark blackstrap molasses

Every Thanksgiving Saturday I brew a 5 gallon batch in my garage.  I hadn't given much thought to what I want to brew then this popped into my head.  I remember it being good (hopefully it wasn't the mud because I don't have much of that).

Thinking a breakfast type oatmeal stout, but instead I am going to use maple syrup instead of molasses.  Recipe is being finalized but will be similar to the one quoted above.  I'll also prime with the maple syrup when bottling.

Semi-back-at-it. 

Prince of Fatness

It's hard to believe that the holidays are almost upon us.  Time flies.  So, with that in mind I was thinking of something holiday-ish but with a reasonable ABV.  I came up with this, which I will brew this evening.....

Gingerbread Bitter (11 qts)

5.5 lbs Maris Otter Malt

Hops all Fuggle (5.0% AA)

.5 oz 60 mins

.5 oz 30 mins

~2 oz ginger root, grated (add at flameout)

A few days beforehand, toast 1 lb of the malt at 300 for 25 minutes.

Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley yeast, no starter.

Mash 152 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.

Semi-back-at-it. 

Prince of Fatness

Every Thanksgiving Saturday I brew a 5 gallon batch in my garage.  I hadn't given much thought to what I want to brew then this popped into my head.  I remember it being good (hopefully it wasn't the mud because I don't have much of that).

Thinking a breakfast type oatmeal stout, but instead I am going to use maple syrup instead of molasses.  Recipe is being finalized but will be similar to the one quoted above.  I'll also prime with the maple syrup when bottling.

The day is almost here.  Recipe is finished.

Oatmeal Maple Stout (5 gals)

5 lbs US 2 Row Malt

4.5 lbs Maris Otter Malt

1 lb Light Munich Malt

1 lb Roasted Barley

1 lb Chocolate Malt

3 lb Flaked Oats

6 oz Carafoam Malt

2 oz Crystal 20L Malt

1.5 lbs Maple Syrup (add at flameout)

Hops all Willamette (4.8% AA)

2 oz 60 mins

Wyeast 1318 London Ale yeast, 1 qt starter.

Mash 154 for a 75 minutes.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.  Prime with maple syrup.

Priming.  There are plenty of calculators out there for table sugar but maple syrup can be variable in the amount of sugar per weight.  So, I will mix an equal weight of each in the same volume of water (say 1 oz in 1 cup for argument sake) and take a gravity reading of each.  This way I can use the calculator value for table sugar and back into the number for maple syrup using the ratio from the gravity readings.

Semi-back-at-it. 

Gotta Flee Em All