Drinkers with a Running Problem

Wegmans (Read 760 times)

Prince of Fatness

So last weekend the wife asks me if I want to go to a food sampling thing at Wegmans. Now I'm a picky eater, so I said "No". Then she says that they have beer sampling, too. After that I said "Grab your coat". So we get there and start going through the stations. I can't remember all I had but here are some. Victory Lager - this is their standard offering. Not bad. Troeggs Pale Ale - Not a pale ale guy, but this wasn't bad. Sam Adams Winter Lager - Had this many times before. Not my favorite Sam seasonal, but good none the less. Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot - Barley wine, 11% ABV. Pretty good. Lancaster Milk Stout - This was my favorite. The food with it was a dessert tart, and it was appropriate. This stout is actually brewed with milk and has a hint of coffee. I picked up a six pack on my way out. My wife is not a big beer drinker, especially with the heavier stuff, so I got most of her samples. Pissed me off that she actually drank a couple! Oh, and for you Bells fans, I did see some there. I was in a hurry so I don't remember the varieties. Selection was limited though. Next time I will pick some up. Wegmans rules.

Not at it at all. 

The voice of mile 18

pennnsylvania sucks! why can't i buy my beer at supermarket!!! i luv victory lager & wegmans wish i was in NJ

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Prince of Fatness

Times they are a changin'. This was PA. Just outside of Easton. They just started selling beer a couple of months ago. I believe that there is another Wegmans near Bethlehem that just started selling beer, too. Rules are the same as if you went to a bar. You can only carry out a 12 pack at a time. Oh, and they card everyone. I felt young again, at least for a few seconds.

Not at it at all. 

The voice of mile 18

GET OUT!! free at last!! Wegman's is now the happiest place on earth

Jazz hands!

pennnsylvania sucks! why can't i buy my beer at supermarket!!! i luv victory lager & wegmans wish i was in NJ
            So I bought Maker's Mark, vodka and 24 bottles of beer last night at the grocery store. (We're having a party.) (I love California, by the way.)
            run run run AHHHHHH run run run

The voice of mile 18

oh in PA the commonwealth own all the liquor stores so I buy what they got and that's it. heaven forbid I get choices Dead

Times they are a changin'. This was PA. Just outside of Easton. They just started selling beer a couple of months ago. I believe that there is another Wegmans near Bethlehem that just started selling beer, too. Rules are the same as if you went to a bar. You can only carry out a 12 pack at a time. Oh, and they card everyone. I felt young again, at least for a few seconds.
                WHAT?????? Someone should alert the media - this is huge news!! All Hail Wegmans!! I have one about 20 minutes from me. I may have to swing by during errand time today to see if they have stocked up. (Note for all non-Pennsylvanians - you may think that we're just a bunch of hicks and/or geeks that get excited about selling beer in supermarkets. Well, we may very well be personal hicks or geeks... but not when it comes to buying alcohol. It's our state (commonwealth) that's screwed up and forces us to go apeshit over a simple thing like beer in supermarkets.) Joe_h said it best in post #2.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Queen of 3rd Place

Ah, I remember my years in PA fondly. But having a dinner party? You have to go to the grocery store for food, the beer warehouse for beer, and the state store for wine and liquor! Insanity! And IIRC, if it's Sunday, you may be SOL!

Ex runner

Jazz hands!

Ah, I remember my years in PA fondly. But having a dinner party? You have to go to the grocery store for food, the beer warehouse for beer, and the state store for wine and liquor! Insanity! And IIRC, if it's Sunday, you may be SOL!
                    I came of drinking age in RI--all alcohol must be sold only in liquor stores which are never open on Sunday. In VA (where I grew up), you can buy beer & wine in grocery stores, but not hard liquor. So imagine my delight when I moved here and you can buy vodka at the 7-11.

Prince of Fatness

And IIRC, if it's Sunday, you may be SOL!
                      Not sure about Wegmans, but the brewers outlets are open on Sundays. That started a couple of years ago, I think.

Not at it at all. 

The voice of mile 18

don't even get me started on the damn liquor stores. is this what's was like in communist russia- drink what we tell you for the price we determine. blech. oh and if you we catch doing a liquor run to the gloriously free liquor warehouses in NJ or DEL we'll give you ticket for trying to get around our state monopolies. phooey Dead

I'm in the same boat here in Maryland. Would be nice to buy two buck chuck from Trader Joe's, or beer at Wegmans. It flat out blows. I have been angry at Maryland for 14 years about this. There is one county where you can buy beer at the gas station, but it's in Ocean City. Hell, in NoVa, you can buy beer at CVS !!!! Come one, Maryland. Get with the times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Anya

Jazz hands!

oh and if you we catch doing a liquor run to the gloriously free liquor warehouses in NJ or DEL we'll give you ticket for trying to get around our state monopolies. phooey Dead
                            Wait. Seriously?

Prince of Fatness

Wait. Seriously?
                              Think taxes. They aren't gung-ho about it but I have heard about it.

Not at it at all. 

Jazz hands!

Think taxes. They aren't gung-ho about it but I have heard about it.
                                It's illegal to buy alcohol in another state and bring it into PA?