Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

gusgordon

My wife and I decided to downsize from our stupidly huge house and move to a different neighborhood.  Among the collateral damage in the move to our condo was having to unload all of my brewing gear...not that I was using it of late anyway, but still....  Sigh.

Prince of Fatness

My wife and I decided to downsize from our stupidly huge house and move to a different neighborhood.  Among the collateral damage in the move to our condo was having to unload all of my brewing gear...not that I was using it of late anyway, but still....  Sigh.

Small batch brewing is not an option?

Not at it at all. 

gusgordon

Small batch brewing is not an option?

Just no room even for storing empty bottles and stuff right now...much smaller place and the storage area of our building is being renovated. Gave all my stuff to a buddy who brews so maybe I’ll go to his place and brew a batch soon. Still have some cool ideas I’d like to try out some day.

Feeling the growl again

Bottled this as well. Since brewing near 3 years ago, it spent 2 years in a sorghum whiskey barrel from Old Sugar Distillery. The second year, it aged with ~2 lb/gal of local blackberries my wife and I picked. It spent the last year in glass. The beer is super jammy, tart from the fruit, a bit boozy, and full of raisin, leather, wheat malts. Can't wait to try it carbed up.

How did the beer in that barrel I wine aged for you ever turn out??

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just now bottled. It seems good. Need to see where it goes once carved and bottle conditioned. You get a bottle Smile

How did the beer in that barrel I wine aged for you ever turn out??

Feeling the growl again

Just now bottled. It seems good. Need to see where it goes once carved and bottle conditioned. You get a bottle Smile

Yay!!!  It's been too long....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

Been looking forward to this for a while.  Brewed last night......

Captain's Tripel

12 quarts

7.50 lbs Pilsner

.75 lbs Lyle's Golden Syrup (add with 10 minutess left in the boil)

German Hallertau hop pellets 4.1%AA

1.00 oz 60 minutes

Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Yeast (1 qt starter)

Mash 149 degrees for 80 minutes.

Boil 80 minutes.   Chill and pitch yeast.  Ferment 3 weeks or so, preferably over 70 degrees when active.  After primary fermentation rack into secondary with .75 oz of oak cubes that have been soaked in Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.  Pour the rum in there too.  I used what was left in a small bottle, probably about 4 oz of rum.  Bottle as usual.

I brewed up a take 2 of this over the weekend.  Recipe is similar.  For the rum this time I am using Ron Zacapa 23.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So I brewed the other day. Notes so far:

Soy Sauce

Ingredients:

- 35 cups non GMO, US soybeans, soaked overnight
                  - 32cups lightly roasted, cracked wheat
                  - 5 aspergillus orzae packs

9/21/2018
                  - soy beans added to cold water at 4pm

9/22/2018
                  - soy beans boiled until soft
                  - wheat berries roasted on cast iron until popping, some charred berries, ground coarsely
                  - combined together

9/23/2018
                  - koji spread out and inoculated, placed in 80-ish degree ovens

9/24/2018
                  - some of the inoculates are fuzzy and white, others not so but are kinda slimy. Suspecting some natty fermentation from too much internal heat. Cool down, redistribute, reinoculate.

9/25/2018
                  - better spread of white fuzz, but still not over entire mass in every pan
                  - boiled barrel, with sanitizer added
                  - 9 lbs / ~16 cups salt + 5 gal spring water + most the soy added to barrel

0/28/2018
                  - stirring 2-3 times daily, appears to be liquefying and off gassing. Flavor evokes soy sauce and brine.

Moldy soybeans on day 3 or so:

In the barrel starting to ferment:

Prince of Fatness

Help me out here. Is that something to eat or to drink?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I dunno, really up to you. Do you make a habit of drinking soy sauce?

Help me out here. Is that something to eat or to drink?

Prince of Fatness

No.  Might make a good marinate tho.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have some Kentucky made and crafted barrel aged soy sauce. It’s very pricey. It’s also exceptionally delicious. I use it in very small amounts and that is usually more than enough, the flavor is so deep and rich. I’d never think of marinating with it, seems wasteful.

Of course, if this works I may end up with 10 gallons of soy sauce. 😳

No.  Might make a good marinate tho.

Feeling the growl again

So I brewed the other day. Notes so far:

Soy Sauce

Ingredients:

- 35 cups non GMO, US soybeans, soaked overnight
                            - 32cups lightly roasted, cracked wheat
                            - 5 aspergillus orzae packs

9/21/2018
                            - soy beans added to cold water at 4pm

9/22/2018
                            - soy beans boiled until soft
                            - wheat berries roasted on cast iron until popping, some charred berries, ground coarsely
                            - combined together

9/23/2018
                            - koji spread out and inoculated, placed in 80-ish degree ovens

9/24/2018
                            - some of the inoculates are fuzzy and white, others not so but are kinda slimy. Suspecting some natty fermentation from too much internal heat. Cool down, redistribute, reinoculate.

9/25/2018
                            - better spread of white fuzz, but still not over entire mass in every pan
                            - boiled barrel, with sanitizer added
                            - 9 lbs / ~16 cups salt + 5 gal spring water + most the soy added to barrel

0/28/2018
                            - stirring 2-3 times daily, appears to be liquefying and off gassing. Flavor evokes soy sauce and brine.

Moldy soybeans on day 3 or so:

In the barrel starting to ferment:

Well that is an interesting twist...

Prince of Fatness

Been a while since I posted.  Still brewing some stuff.  Since the fall I've brewed up a few batches....

• Belgian Tripel that I bulk aged with oak cubes that had soaked in rum.  Bottled but haven't tried yet.
                              • English Porter.  Almost gone.  Nice easy drinker.
                              • Wheat Wine.  Bottled but haven't tried yet.
                              • Pseudo Czech Pilsner (it's an ale using a Kolsch yeast).  Haven't bottled yet.

I need something for the 2019 holidays so next I will brew a winter warmer and add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.  Probably will brew that in the next couple of weeks.  After that maybe a west coast style IPA.  I also want to brew a Belgian Quad but I'm gonna wait until summer because I want to ferment it at a warm temperature.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Been a while since I posted.  Still brewing some stuff.  Since the fall I've brewed up a few batches....

• Belgian Tripel that I bulk aged with oak cubes that had soaked in rum.  Bottled but haven't tried yet.
                                • English Porter.  Almost gone.  Nice easy drinker.
                                • Wheat Wine.  Bottled but haven't tried yet.
                                • Pseudo Czech Pilsner (it's an ale using a Kolsch yeast).  Haven't bottled yet.

I need something for the 2019 holidays so next I will brew a winter warmer and add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.  Probably will brew that in the next couple of weeks.  After that maybe a west coast style IPA.  I also want to brew a Belgian Quad but I'm gonna wait until summer because I want to ferment it at a warm temperature.

Tasted the Belgian Tripel.  Came out nice.

Tasted the Wheat Wine.  Came out nice.

Bottled and tasted the Kolsch.  Came out nice.

I'm batting 1000.

Brewed the winter warmer.  That won't be ready to bottle for a few weeks.

Next to brew is a SMaSH using Loral hops.  I wanted to try a new hop and these sound promising.

Not at it at all.